Turn on thread page Beta

what happens at first day of uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    just thinking what happens during the first day of uni? do they check ure exam results in some big line like in school or on american films? how does the uni know u even got the grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fatman)
    just thinking what happens during the first day of uni? do they check ure exam results in some big line like in school or on american films? how does the uni know u even got the grades?
    Uni checks you rgrades etc on results day and confirms your place by post so theres none of that. There is an excessive amout of queueing though. Generally one of the first things you'll do is go to a department run welcome meeting where you'll be given details about registration. You then fill in all the relevant forms and stand in a queue of about 3 hours to get then signed etc then your a fully fledge member of uni.

THere are also sports fairs, societies fairs, and advertisers fairs (great for free stuff). You might have to sign up for a doctors, so you'll have to queue for medical registration too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Uni checks you rgrades etc on results day
    They usually receive results three days prior to results day. The rest of your post is spot on.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh poo. I'm international and was looking at the list of stuff I have to do! Signing up for police etc... ARGH!

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you mean by first day. The first day for me was just accommodation registration day where all we had to do was turn up at the accommodation office, sign for our keys and rooms and move in. There wern't long queues becuase everyone arrived at different times. The rest of the day was spent unpacking ad also going to welcome and meet people from your department events with some entertainment planned later.

The actual registration day was two days after this where we did have to do a bit of queuing. The first queue was to get our registration cards, then we had to confirm they got all our courses correct, There was another queue in which i did'nt know what i was queueing for - just got some ticks on a form and moved on. Next there was a queue for paying tuition fees and accommodation and also a queue for student loans. Ut was pretty well organised though and probably took less than an hour - i spent much longer queueing in the bar in freshers week than for any uni related stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fatman)
    nah, all of that crap is sorted out some other time. First day of uni will consist of mainly drinking (hopefully)

ReputationRep:
    The first day can vary a lot depending on the university. Which one are you heading to?

ReputationRep:
    I thought UCAS passed on the exam results to the university?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.