The Student Room Group

medicine through clearing

My first choice is Bristol Univeristy to do aerospace engineering. I really wanted to medicine at earlier stage but everyone told me it was too late but i just realised it wasn't at that time. My predictions are :

Maths - A*

Further Maths - A*

Chemistry- A but i think i can get A*

Physics- A

For medicine 5year or 6years(with foundation year) they need 3B's.

EDIT 1:

1.Would it be possible on the day of results day that they might have one possible place and they would accept me for medicine? Please help :cry2:

2.Would it be possible to enter medicine thorugh clearing or has anyone.

EDIT : 2

-Bristol do not require UKCAT

-Over the summer of 2012 i did work experience at a pharmacy.

EDIT 3:

-willl be doing work experience at care home over summer

-will be sitting ukcat at the end of june
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Almost certainly no
Oh no :frown: It is really highly unlikely.
Reply 3
Just had a look at UCAS Extra for u

- Medicine Foundation Year at Durham is there

email them and see if they will take you. Although remember with medicine they have the requirements such as the UKCAT.
Reply 4
Original post by Kutta

email them and see if they will take you. Although remember with medicine they have the requirements such as the UKCAT.

Thank you

i sure will
Ring up early on results day and ask, no harm in trying is there?
Original post by Kutta

You normally take the UKCAT in the summer before the course begins, i.e. OP would have had to have sat the UKCAT in summer 2012. Not sure how it would work for UCAS Clearing though :s-smilie:
Reply 8
It happened to my cousin - well, not exactly through clearing officially, but a uni phoned her back with a place - so it's possible, but so highly unlikely that I wouldn't rely on it.
Its almost impossible as they usually have waiting lists for those who were rejected post-interview. Lets say you get lucky and they decide to give you a shot - they'd still need to read your personal statement, check your academics and UKCAT, interview you... I don't think it'll happen, sorry. But taking a gap year is a feasible option :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by TheStudent.
Its almost impossible as they usually have waiting lists for those who were rejected post-interview. Lets say you get lucky and they decide to give you a shot - they'd still need to read your personal statement, check your academics and UKCAT, interview you... I don't think it'll happen, sorry. But taking a gap year is a feasible option :smile:

Bristol do not require UKCAT and over the summer of 2012 i did work experience at a pharmacy.
Reply 12
It's really really unlikely, if not impossible :frown: If for whatever reason a medical school ends up with fewer students than it expected, then they will have waiting lists of interviewed candidates that they may start calling on results day. To be fair, the chances of being made an offer from a waiting list are pretty slim, let alone if you never applied to study medicine in the first place. Also, I've heard that if you've firmly accepted an offer from a uni, and you get the grades, it can be quite difficult to be 'released' by your uni in order to apply for other subjects. If you're that unhappy, you can always withdraw and reapply next cycle :smile: At least then you have a gap year to get more work experience (I'm not entirely sure that a pharmacy would be enough to make a competitive application) and sit the UKCAT etc. etc. :smile: Best of luck with whatever you decide to do, just don't pin a lot of hope on getting into Medicine through clearing :/
Reply 13
No chance. The application process is exceptionally long and hard so people don't just get a free ride. Also I'm fairly sure you need biology at most unis. Sorry pal, next year maybe! Good luck.
Original post by Sujman
Bristol do not require UKCAT and over the summer of 2012 i did work experience at a pharmacy.

I'm sorry to be harsh on you, but is that it? Work experience at a pharmacy? You need voluntary work, hobbies, achievements outside of the curriculm and it would significantly enhance your application if you undertake work exp at a GP or hospital. Obviously its what you learn that's more important than where you've done your work experience, but you need to show dedication and an insight into the medical profession somehow.

Medicine is perhaps the most competitive course to get into. You need to be excellent both on paper and in person. So getting into medicine through clearing is, quite frankly, wishful thinking. Your best option is to take a gap year and reapply. If medicine is what you really want to do in life then taking a year out is a no-brainer. Good luck!
Reply 15
Original post by TheStudent.
I'm sorry to be harsh on you, but is that it? Work experience at a pharmacy? You need voluntary work, hobbies, achievements outside of the curriculm and it would significantly enhance your application if you undertake work exp at a GP or hospital. Obviously its what you learn that's more important than where you've done your work experience, but you need to show dedication and an insight into the medical profession somehow.

Medicine is perhaps the most competitive course to get into. You need to be excellent both on paper and in person. So getting into medicine through clearing is, quite frankly, wishful thinking. Your best option is to take a gap year and reapply. If medicine is what you really want to do in life then taking a year out is a no-brainer. Good luck!

I willl be doing work experience at care home over summer

I will be sitting ukcat at the end of june.
Reply 16
Original post by Sujman
I willl be doing work experience at care home over summer

I will be sitting ukcat at the end of june.

The UKCAT is only valid for the current cycle, so this year's UKCAT will only be valid for the 2014-entry applicants. You should just take a year out and reapply; I would be willing to say with certainty that you will not get in through clearing this year. How unfair would that be to all the applicants who worked hard to get their personal statements done, sit the UKCAT at an appropriate time, get all their work experience done and do volunteer work, all by an early deadline, if you got in through clearing when you never even applied for medicine in the first place? If you reapply next year, you have as good a chance as anyone.
Reply 17
Original post by Larry31
The UKCAT is only valid for the current cycle, so this year's UKCAT will only be valid for the 2014-entry applicants. You should just take a year out and reapply; I would be willing to say with certainty that you will not get in through clearing this year. How unfair would that be to all the applicants who worked hard to get their personal statements done, sit the UKCAT at an appropriate time, get all their work experience done and do volunteer work, all by an early deadline, if you got in through clearing when you never even applied for medicine in the first place? If you reapply next year, you have as good a chance as anyone.

true
Reply 18
Original post by Larry31

Do i need to learn as biology to do ukcat?
Reply 19
Original post by Sujman
Do i need to learn as biology to do ukcat?

No you won't need AS Biology for the UKCAT. It's more of a test of a psychometric test (kinda like an IQ test), testing 5 areas, Verbal Reasoning, Qualitative Reasoning, Abstract Reasoning, Decision Analysis and Situational Judgement. Have a look at the UKCAT website for more information. There are quite a few medical schools that will require at least AS Biology though. I believe that there are a couple that don't need it, but most want at least AS Biology. It's probably a good idea to check out the Medicine Wiki on here for all the different entry requirements at the different med schools. Have you decided to take a gap year then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending