The Student Room Group

'Lad Culture'. Should we be alarmed?

With the rise of 'lad culture' and the concerns that come with it I'm wondering whether we should be alarmed or if we've always had lad culture and it just recently has a label.

Concern is mainly in regards to rape jokes, 'slut shaming' and derogatory references to women, am I right?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lots of guys try to be lads until they pussy out in a fight and slowly start realising that drinking/smoking weed etc is just a phase and they need to break out of it quickly. Some carry on and end up in prison or stealing fags from old women. True lads are those that are born on a council estate, aren't scared of anybody and just want to have fun...many try to mimic the charasteristics of laddish behaviour but most are fake and get caught out when they need to fight.
Lad Culture doesnt go hand in hand with misogyny thats generalising , and im pretty sure misogny has always existed , though the rise of feminism has undoubtedly evoked a rebellion culture amongst emasculated males .
It's always been like this, it's just that recently the emergence of sites like Lad Bible and True Lad have heavily publicised this kind of culture. I was chatting to my dad a few weeks ago, and it turns out that when he was my age, him and all his mates were doing all the stupid stuff that my friends and I get up to now. Young men have gone out, drunk too much, been rude about women, taken risks and been inconsiderate for years, it's not a new phenomenon by any means. I'm not convinced that it's something to worry about, everyone grows out of it eventually. The important thing is to just limit the damage whilst young guys get it all out of their system.
Reply 4
What a joke this society has become. As the years go on and feminism becomes more prominent, men feel like they can't be men any more. We have to submerge our instincts such as looking at a pretty women or complimenting them in case we hurt their pride :rolleyes:

All men are sexist these days, yet it's perfectly fine or women to be sexist to men.

Man beats wife? Scum of the world

Woman beats husband? It's a joke, to be laughed at.

Man makes sexist joke? He is a misogynist.

Woman makes a sexist joke? She's just empowering herself. Look at (Adria Richards example)

What's wrong with lad culture exactly? What's wrong with guys being guys? Stop letting those lunatic feminazis brainwash you into thinking all men are evil/rapists.

Quote from Chuck Palahniuk (Author of fight club + others)

“I mean, I'm just tired of being wrong all the time just because I'm a guy. I mean how many times can everybody tell you that you're the oppressive, prejudiced enemy before you give up and become the enemy.
I mean a male, chauvinist pig isn't born, hes made, and more and more of them are being made by women. After long enough you just roll over and accept the fact that you're a sexist, bigoted, insensitive, crude, cretinist cretin. Women are right. You're wrong."

Women are the oppressive ones.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Jordan_1
What a joke this society has become. As the years go on and feminism becomes more prominent, men feel like they can't be men any more. We have to submerge our instincts such as looking at a pretty women or complimenting them in case we hurt their pride :rolleyes:

All men are sexist these days, yet it's perfectly fine or women to be sexist to men.

Man beats wife? Scum of the world

Woman beats husband? It's a joke, to be laughed at.

Man makes sexist joke? He is a misogynist.

Woman makes a sexist joke? She's just empowering herself. Look at (Adria Richards example)

What's wrong with lad culture exactly? What's wrong with guys being guys? Stop letting those lunatic feminazis brainwash you into thinking all men are evil/rapists.

Quote from Chuck Palahniuk (Author of fight club + others)

“I mean, I'm just tired of being wrong all the time just because I'm a guy. I mean how many times can everybody tell you that you're the oppressive, prejudiced enemy before you give up and become the enemy.
I mean a male, chauvinist pig isn't born, hes made, and more and more of them are being made by women. After long enough you just roll over and accept the fact that you're a sexist, bigoted, insensitive, crude, cretinist cretin. Women are right. You're wrong."

Women are the oppressive ones.

Do we need gender roles in society though? I think they do more harm than good. I think they're what make domestic abuse against men to be seen as somehow less of a problem, amongst other things.

Did you read my original post? I don't think you did properly. Never said what I thought other than questioning if we should be alarmed or not.

Only extreme left-wingers and feminists say men cannot experience sexism because of male privilege. You shouldn't lump all feminists into the same box. That'd make you a hypocrite.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by ssxx
You trying to pick out the men but you miss the ladette culture!
derogatory words used by women towards men and the nasty getting drunk and flashing breasts on the high street.
You dress this up as equality for women.

Yes, it's a thread about lad culture. Therefore I am focusing on lad culture and not 'ladette culture'.

Also you're not properly reading my posts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Its a necessary counter to radical feminism.
Original post by Eljamaispa
am I right?

No.

Next!
Reply 9
Original post by Wilfred Little
No.

Next!

What have I advocated that is wrong? That's what tons of feminist articles suggest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What have I advocated that is wrong? That's what tons of feminist articles suggest.

Majority of feminists are mentalists with victim complexes so feminist articles aren't really good for objective opinions.
Reply 11
Majority of feminists are mentalists with victim complexes so feminist articles aren't really good for objective opinions.

Depends on your definition of a feminist. There's a scale from mild to extreme like with most things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends on your definition of a feminist. There's a scale from mild to extreme like with most things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like lad culture, my personal opinion on lad/ladette culture is that it can be annoying and a few can be a bit chauvinistic, but I think very very few of them "lads" are rapists, because most men aren't, remember, that just because there are a lot of rape victims don't mean that there are a lot of rapists. The same as there can be one drug dealer and lots of drug addicts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by chappers-94
Like lad culture, my personal opinion on lad/ladette culture is that it can be annoying and a few can be a bit chauvinistic, but I think very very few of them "lads" are rapists, because most men aren't, remember, that just because there are a lot of rape victims don't mean that there are a lot of rapists. The same as there can be one drug dealer and lots of drug addicts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whoa when did I say 'lads' are rapists?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
With the rise of 'lad culture' and the concerns that come with it I'm wondering whether we should be alarmed or if we've always had lad culture and it just recently has a label.

Concern is mainly in regards to rape jokes, 'slut shaming' and derogatory references to women, am I right?

Ok.
1. Rape Jokes - No man who is normal, thinks rape is ok. Even some of the most pig headed men in the world, do not agree with rape. It is not an epidemic. I have heard, holocaust jokes, racist jokes, death jokes, jokes on every topic you can imagine. Doesn't make me an anti-semite. We are human, we trivialise things, we make jokes. Hell, people are going to have a dark sense of humour. This is clearly not a big issue, its a storm in a teacup that feminists like to make out to be the next crisis in society. You want universal freedom of speech? Well, you have to accept people may say things you don't like. If you are that delicate, do not associate with people with that sense of humour, take a vow of silence and live in tibet as a yak, or move to North Korea.

2. Slut shaming? Ok, its not a nice way to behave. But again, go back to number 1, re-read about moving to tibet. In a world where Ed balls is a senior figure in parliament, is this really the most pressing issue? I am sure there are legal recourses available to the victims. We do not need to start a campaign against already illegal behaviour.

3. Derogatory remarks? oh, so you got offended. Big woop. Has nobody ever told you absolutely nothing happens when you get offended. Your head doesn't drop off, nobody hurts a bunny rabbit, a fairy doesnt drop dead. You are a grown human being with a mind, a voice and (a small amount) of intellegence. Listen to some classical music, have sex, go for a run, whatever, life goes on. We all have to deal with nobheads. Whether they call you 'darling', cut you up on the motorway, or give you a headache at work, thats life. I hear yaks are incredibly politically correct, in fact, most dont even say anything for fear of offending.
If an individual contuinally makes derogatory remarks, this is harrasement and a police matter. If a stranger does it, just say 'would you mind not calling me darling'. I thought feminists were about women being independant? Well act like an independant person, and tackle those who clearly offend you, because 99% are nothing to do with it.

'Lad culture' has always been there. Builders were famed for it, soldiers are still some of the worst (or best, depending on standpoint) for it. GI's in WW2 were renound for it, Lord Byron was supposedly a cad through and through.
Reply 15
Original post by ssxx
Thats like saying it depends on definition of a pedophiles, there are scales from mild to extreme.

Its still bad.

Look, I get you're anti-feminist. But that's like me saying MRA and what they stand for are 'bad'. That's BS. Feminists care about women's issues and women's rights. It's not bad. That's fantastic! I wouldn't have an education without feminism. There are some bad eggs and there are some extremists that put even other feminists off but the concept itself is not 'bad'.

Also, that's a poor analogy. Being a fundamentalist Christian to being a relaxed believer would be more appropriate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by c471
Ok.
1. Rape Jokes - No man who is normal, thinks rape is ok. Even some of the most pig headed men in the world, do not agree with rape. It is not an epidemic. I have heard, holocaust jokes, racist jokes, death jokes, jokes on every topic you can imagine. Doesn't make me an anti-semite. We are human, we trivialise things, we make jokes. Hell, people are going to have a dark sense of humour. This is clearly not a big issue, its a storm in a teacup that feminists like to make out to be the next crisis in society. You want universal freedom of speech? Well, you have to accept people may say things you don't like. If you are that delicate, do not associate with people with that sense of humour, take a vow of silence and live in tibet as a yak, or move to North Korea.

2. Slut shaming? Ok, its not a nice way to behave. But again, go back to number 1, re-read about moving to tibet. In a world where Ed balls is a senior figure in parliament, is this really the most pressing issue? I am sure there are legal recourses available to the victims. We do not need to start a campaign against already illegal behaviour.

3. Derogatory remarks? oh, so you got offended. Big woop. Has nobody ever told you absolutely nothing happens when you get offended. Your head doesn't drop off, nobody hurts a bunny rabbit, a fairy doesnt drop dead. You are a grown human being with a mind, a voice and (a small amount) of intellegence. Listen to some classical music, have sex, go for a run, whatever, life goes on. We all have to deal with nobheads. Whether they call you 'darling', cut you up on the motorway, or give you a headache at work, thats life. I hear yaks are incredibly politically correct, in fact, most dont even say anything for fear of offending.
If an individual contuinally makes derogatory remarks, this is harrasement and a police matter. If a stranger does it, just say 'would you mind not calling me darling'. I thought feminists were about women being independant? Well act like an independant person, and tackle those who clearly offend you, because 99% are nothing to do with it.

'Lad culture' has always been there. Builders were famed for it, soldiers are still some of the worst (or best, depending on standpoint) for it. GI's in WW2 were renound for it, Lord Byron was supposedly a cad through and through.

Why are you addressing me? I posted a neutral post. ****ing hell people love jumping on the OMFG MAN HATING ALARMIST FEMINIST attacking bandwagon if they can find so much of a trace of a feminist tone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by c471

What even is 'slut shaming'? The only place I've ever seen it mentioned is on here and by Tumblr feminists.
Reply 18
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
the rise of feminism has undoubtedly evoked a rebellion culture amongst emasculated males

And rightly so. Why should men put up with it?
Reply 19
What even is 'slut shaming'? The only place I've ever seen it mentioned is on here and by Tumblr feminists.

Facebook it. I first heard it on here too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest