The Student Room Group

White Britons 'In Retreat' From Minority Areas

Scroll to see replies

It isn't just White people though is it? As soon as Asian people get a bit of money they are off as well.
Reply 2
White flight has been happening for as long as immigration has, this is nothing new
Reply 3
Why should we be alarmed? People tend to immigrate where there family or friends live. Eventually the minority become the majority in that area. People segregate themselves from different cultures, it's just human nature.
Original post by Algorithm69
Of course, this will be interpreted as white people being racist and not the fact that minorities make every area they spawn in absolute ****holes.

Not eloquently put, but I completely agree.
Original post by hoodboilu4
Why should we be alarmed? People tend to immigrate where there family or friends live. Eventually the minority become the majority in that area. People segregate themselves from different cultures, it's just human nature.

Generally people support immigration because they think it will create a mixed culture rather than various segregated national groupings that are best ambivalent toward one another.
Original post by democracyforum

You can debate to what or any extent it is a problem (the leading figures quoted in the article seem to think it is) but how can you claim it should not be in the news?
What's wrong with a good old-fashioned ghetto? Having lived in Whitechapel I know what it means. It can work.
Reply 8
Original post by Observatory
Generally people support immigration because they think it will create a mixed culture rather than various segregated national groupings that are best ambivalent toward one another.

I don't like stereotyping but these 'groups' tend be muslim in nature.
Please, please don't get me wrong. I'm not a racist, it's just something I notice.

From my experience, most European and African Immigrants tend to make splendid members of society better than a lot of nationals.
Reply 9
This might because white Britons feel unwelcome in some areas, while other ethnic and religious groups feel unwelcome in some areas.

I have lived in both sets and as a Muslim, I know which I prefer. There are plenty of reasons why I do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
What's wrong with a good old-fashioned ghetto? Having lived in Whitechapel I know what it means. It can work.

Not really sure it is a ghetto - living costs per square metre there are quite high - alot of people working nearby want to live there.
Original post by hoodboilu4

That's precisely why we should be alarmed. Human nature has not excelled itself in peace and decency in the past.

However, you are right - I doubt there is much we can do. (Bring on the mixed race breeding programme! :tongue:). So long as we maintain a fair, secular and democratic government we should be ok. I would be fascinated to see what the UK looks like in 100 years' time.
Well I've seen the opposite happen in Hackney. Some new buildings were made, Dalston became more central in terms of transport since the Olympics happened, and more white people started living there. I think they're mainly young couples. Before that happened, I only saw black and Asian people in the area,
It shows that this liberals wet dream of integrated Multiculturalism hasn't come quite to fruition.
Reply 14
I think it's more to do with money and wealth than anything else. As people living in poor inner city areas become more wealthy, they move out to wealthier suburbs and towns, and are replaced by new immigrants because they are a)poor and b)want to live somewhere where people from the country they came from have already settled.

I'm sure there are some people who don't want to live in an area because they, for whatever reason, don't feel comfortable living somewhere where a significant percentage of the population is from a different ethnic background to themselves. But I think the majority of this kind of movement can be explained by social mobility and the desire to live in a more wealthy environment.
Haha, democracyforum at his finest.

Yet another pointless thread, this 'news' is nothing new.
Reply 16
Original post by moregano
I think it's more to do with money and wealth than anything else. As people living in poor inner city areas become more wealthy, they move out to wealthier suburbs and towns, and are replaced by new immigrants because they are a)poor and b)want to live somewhere where people from the country they came from have already settled.

I'm sure there are some people who don't want to live in an area because they, for whatever reason, don't feel comfortable living somewhere where a significant percentage of the population is from a different ethnic background to themselves. But I think the majority of this kind of movement can be explained by social mobility and the desire to live in a more wealthy environment.

Actually alot of the people moving out of inner London can no longer afford to live there, or to raise children there. Rental costs, property costs and service costs are all higher in inner London than they are in suburbs beyond this.

Alot of new immigrants are often very able to live in areas where the houses are more expansive but deliberately choose not to because their priorities are different from the indigenous population - for example, I will be immigrating to London in late June/early July and I will deliberately live in as cheap an area as possible so I can save as much money as is feasible - I could live in an area with more space further away from the centre but I would save far less money. However, an indigenous person may not be so concerned about his/her savings rate, particularly if the state is willing to extend welfare to him/her or pay his/her rental/mortgage payments in the event of him/her losing his/her primary income.
Reply 17
Original post by Dragonfly07
Well I've seen the opposite happen in Hackney. Some new buildings were made, Dalston became more central in terms of transport since the Olympics happened, and more white people started living there. I think they're mainly young couples. Before that happened, I only saw black and Asian people in the area,

Actually, their proportion of the population has never been over 60-65% in Hackney.
Reply 18
Original post by effofex
Actually alot of the people moving out of inner London can no longer afford to live there, or to raise children there. Rental costs, property costs and service costs are all higher in inner London than they are in suburbs beyond this.

Alot of new immigrants are often very able to live in areas where the houses are more expansive but deliberately choose not to because their priorities are different from the indigenous population - for example, I will be immigrating to London in late June/early July and I will deliberately live in as cheap an area as possible so I can save as much money as is feasible - I could live in an area with more space further away from the centre but I would save far less money. However, an indigenous person may not be so concerned about his/her savings rate, particularly if the state is willing to extend welfare to him/her or pay his/her rental/mortgage payments in the event of him/her losing his/her primary income.

Actually I live in London, so I'm well aware of the situation here and I deliberately didn't mention "London" specifically because in the last 20 years or so we've had massive gentrification of our previously poor areas.

What I said applies to London in the past though, and still has a massive impact on the way the city is today. We have areas that are well known for a particular cultural community, because when immigrants from those countries came here in large numbers, they were an affordable and accessible place to settle. At the same time, there was a large movement of working class people (who at that time were mostly white) towards the outer suburbs, which were perceived as clean, green, wealthy etc. It's only fairly recently that we've had the explosion of wealth in our inner city areas, driven by growth in the City and the shift away from manufacturing and manual labour.
Original post by democracyforum
actually survey said - "Analysis of the 2011 census shows that 45% of ethnic minorities in England and Wales live in areas where less than half the population is white British, while 41% live in wards that are less than half white."- how do you know its not ethnic minorities that arnt moving out of mainly white neighbourhoods?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending