The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Do SAAS fund you for a 5th year undergraduate masters, if you switch from a bachelor?

So... I know this doesn't just apply to Edinburgh, but I'm trying to think of the bigger picture here.

I'll be starting BSc Computer Science in September which is 4 years. I've already used up my "plus one" or "false start" extra year of funding after choosing the wrong course and uni and dropping out at the end of semester 1.

But I know Edinburgh do a Masters in Informatics... which can be achieved as an undergraduate if I'm not mistaken...? And you switch to it after year 3 if it's the direction you want to take I believe?

Hypothetically speaking, if I did that, would I be funded for the 5th year? My first guess would be no, but I'm curious to know.

On a side note, if you do switch to an undergraduate masters, do you obtain a bachelor's degree after year 4? Or is it all or nothing, in that, you have to graduate with a masters or you get nothing?
Reply 1
Hiya.

I'm not specifically sure about what the SAAS funding situation is (I'm a BSc student myself) but I can tell you a bit more about the MInf.

Basically, yes. It's an undergraduate masters course which leads only to a MInf. You can choose to change over from BSc -> MInf up to the end of third year (but you'll need to decide and let your Personal Tutor know before then so that all the admin can be handled). If you choose to change over and give up at 4th year you get nothing as far as I know. A BSc project only lasts one year whereas the MInf project is split between 4th and 5th, so you'd leave with half a MInf project.

A great source for information on the content and structure of degrees is the DRPS (Degree Regulations and Programmes of Study... some call it drips) site. http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/13-14/dpt/utinfmt.htm

Good luck! And feel free to ask anything about the course.

-Craig

Original post by Chrisruptor
So... I know this doesn't just apply to Edinburgh, but I'm trying to think of the bigger picture here.

I'll be starting BSc Computer Science in September which is 4 years. I've already used up my "plus one" or "false start" extra year of funding after choosing the wrong course and uni and dropping out at the end of semester 1.

But I know Edinburgh do a Masters in Informatics... which can be achieved as an undergraduate if I'm not mistaken...? And you switch to it after year 3 if it's the direction you want to take I believe?

Hypothetically speaking, if I did that, would I be funded for the 5th year? My first guess would be no, but I'm curious to know.

On a side note, if you do switch to an undergraduate masters, do you obtain a bachelor's degree after year 4? Or is it all or nothing, in that, you have to graduate with a masters or you get nothing?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
in a word, no

you are entitled to 5 years of undergraduate funding from SAAS. meaning that if you have already done a year and have recieved a year of funds from SAAS then you have 4 years worth of undergraduate funding available

i have friends who have failed years and not recieved funding in subsequent years, as well as friends who have graduated with a bachelors and cannot get funding for a masters year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending