The Student Room Group

Statistical Test

I am comparing/investigating the effect of temperature on the actvitiy of non-immobilized lactase and on the activity of immoblized lactase.

I've ended up with 2 sets of data.

The average glucose produced against temperature (5 different temperatures!).

Which statistical test should I do?

I've had a look at Mann-Whitney U test, t-test (paired and unpaired) and Spearmans rank. I've managed to do Spearmans rank for each individual data set, would it be valid to compare the correlation coefficients?
The t-test doesn't make much sense to me, I'm not sure if my data is paired or not.

Thanks
Reply 1
A t-test is comparing two sets of data. You have got measurements from two different types of lactase. Therefore you do a unpaired 2 sample t-test. A paired t-test is for two measurements from one individual or before/after measurements.

If you think there may be a cause/effect relationship between temperature and glucose production, you want to do a regression analysis. If you are looking for covariation, you want to do a Spearman's or Pearson's correlation test. Yes it would be valid to compare the correlation coefficients from Spearmans.
Reply 2
Original post by 15weekwonder
I am comparing/investigating the effect of temperature on the actvitiy of non-immobilized lactase and on the activity of immoblized lactase.

I've ended up with 2 sets of data.

The average glucose produced against temperature (5 different temperatures!).

Which statistical test should I do?

I've had a look at Mann-Whitney U test, t-test (paired and unpaired) and Spearmans rank. I've managed to do Spearmans rank for each individual data set, would it be valid to compare the correlation coefficients?
The t-test doesn't make much sense to me, I'm not sure if my data is paired or not.

Thanks

see above

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending