The Student Room Group

Ŵill my medicine application be at a disadvantage with NO work experience?

As in absolutely 0 work experience in a hospital/GP surgery.

I have -

helping disabled children
two weeks looking after and teaching children English
nursing home

and also I helped my elderly neighbour two years leading up to her death. This is the reason I want to study medicine but idk if I could write this on my PS since I have no proof?

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yes, you need an insight into what a career in medicine involves and whether it is for you or not, and the only real way to do this is by getting work experience. especially with how competitive it is and that 99% of people will have work experience, you will be at a disadvantage.
Reply 2
Original post by SamEastie
yes, you need an insight into what a career in medicine involves and whether it is for you or not, and the only real way to do this is by getting work experience. especially with how competitive it is and that 99% of people will have work experience, you will be at a disadvantage.

On university websites they say it doesn't have to be in a hospital/surgery though and it can be in a hospice/caring environment ... :/
Reply 3
Original post by Faye__1996
On university websites they say it doesn't have to be in a hospital/surgery though and it can be in a hospice/caring environment ... :/

true, what you have done shows you care and like working with people however generally work experience and voluntary work is what most applicants will have. if you're applying after summer, why dont you get some work exp over summer and put it on your PS? it'll give you more to talk about and, from my experience, interviewers like to talk about work experience placements etc and what you've learnt from them about a career in medicine.
Reply 4
Original post by SamEastie
true, what you have done shows you care and like working with people however generally work experience and voluntary work is what most applicants will have. if you're applying after summer, why dont you get some work exp over summer and put it on your PS? it'll give you more to talk about and, from my experience, interviewers like to talk about work experience placements etc and what you've learnt from them about a career in medicine.

I've been asking for work experience for weeks, I've asked 11 hospitals! It seems to be the only people that get any are those with contacts which is very annoying. Thanks for your help.
Reply 5
What's stopping you from getting GP/hospital work experience before you have to apply? As you do have some relevant experience, they won't immediately bin your application or anything, but it might put you at a disadvantage against people who have both hospice/caring home work experience and GP/hospital work experience. But remember work experience is only one of many factors they consider, so that's not to say you won't get a place, especially if your grades etc. are good.

Yes, you can definitley put helping your neighbour on your PS as long as you're happy to talk about it in an interview. Lots of things on PSs don't have official proof (I have read X book et.)
Yes. Lack of advantage is a disadvantage in competitive fields.

I sometimes wonder if having w/exp as a requirement is done to get the children of doctors a clean ride in. for somebody living in a small town with no connections to the industry it can be a particularly difficult thing to do.

Of course this is disgracefully cynical and I know I'm wrong. We all like to believe crazy things that create a narrative that makes us feel we've braved adversity though.
I was told they actually prefer "bum wiping" experience.
Reply 8
I've been asking for work experience for weeks, I've asked 11 hospitals! It seems to be the only people that get any are those with contacts which is very annoying. Thanks for your help.

Lol, having no doctors/nurses in the family can make things a bit harder. I actually had to apply/search/beg for my work experience, whereas my friends were like: 'Oh I'll just shadow my dad and uncle'. :tongue: It is still possible to get it, though!

I remember you from another thread- aren't you someone who lives somewhere really rural? I'm sure one of the 11 will get back to you eventually. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
I should think so. Putting aside what admissions may think, how do you know you want to do Medicine if you've got no experience of it?
Showing roles in caring capacities is good, but teaching children English doesn't show you've got a good idea of what being a doctor takes. Many people probably do work experience and still don't have a clue, but it's still a tick-box that they will look for.

Edit; I am not saying you can't get in without it -.- But many look for evidence that you've explored a career as a doctor, so having no shadowing / clinical experience may be a hindrance.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Pandabär
I know the feeling... Having no doctors/nurses in the family can make things a bit harder. I actually had to apply/search/beg for my placements, whereas my friends were like: 'Oh I'll just shadow my dad and uncle'. :tongue: It is still possible to get work experience, though!

I remember you from another thread- aren't you someone who lives somewhere really rural? I'm sure one of the 11 will get back to you eventually. :smile:

Hi :smile: yeah I am haha and I hope so!

would it be polite for me to directly email doctors? Because I have found so emails and that way I am addressing them directly instead of the HR Department
Reply 11
Original post by TattyBoJangles
I should think so. Putting aside what admissions may think, how do you know you want to do Medicine if you've got no experience of it?
Showing roles in caring capacities is good, but teaching children English doesn't show you've got a good idea of what being a doctor takes. Many people probably do work experience and still don't have a clue, but it's still a tick-box that they will look for.

Thanks for your advice!
Reply 12
As in absolutely 0 work experience in a hospital/GP surgery.

I have -

helping disabled children
two weeks looking after and teaching children English
nursing home

and also I helped my elderly neighbour two years leading up to her death. This is the reason I want to study medicine but idk if I could write this on my PS since I have no proof?

thanks

Yes it will, however I had no work experience, just volunteering and I got 3 interviews and a place at ucl my advise to you is to beg around see if you can get at least a day or two following a doc around, personally I think it's a waste of time, volunteering is much more valuable, but med schools really like it.
Reply 13
Original post by Sereni
Yes it will, however I had no work experience, just volunteering and I got 3 interviews and a place at ucl my advise to you is to beg around see if you can get at least a day or two following a doc around, personally I think it's a waste of time, volunteering is much more valuable, but med schools really like it.

Thanks! Like I asked Pandabär, do you think it would be okay for me to directly email doctors?
Reply 14

would it be polite for me to directly email doctors? Because I have found so emails and that way I am addressing them directly instead of the HR Department

Feel free to directly email doctors, some will mark it as spam but you are much more likely to get some shadowing if you do so. If you email the hr department they will start an official proceeding and ****, my local hospital pissed arou d for ages then said they didn't have any places. However if you just ask a few docs if you could shadow them for a little bit one will likely say yes and you can just turn up and do it.
Reply 15
Thanks! Like I asked Pandabär, do you think it would be okay for me to directly email doctors?

It also isn't like they have a blacklisting of med school applicants where if you send an annoying email they will all share it and block you from getting any experience. Just write something along the lines of I want to be a doc and would greatly appreciate it if I could shadow you for a bit. Some docs will be worried about confidentiality but I know docs who would just be like meh why not. Try approaching the HR dept too but in my experience you will be entering a world of red tape. Shadowing really isn't a big deal, so while some docs will get arsey about it and med school seem to think it's really important all it really is is following around a doc on his job.
Reply 16
Original post by Sereni
It also isn't like they have a blacklisting of med school applicants where if you send an annoying email they will all share it and block you from getting any experience. Just write something along the lines of I want to be a doc and would greatly appreciate it if I could shadow you for a bit. Some docs will be worried about confidentiality but I know docs who would just be like meh why not. Try approaching the HR dept too but in my experience you will be entering a world of red tape. Shadowing really isn't a big deal, so while some docs will get arsey about it and med school seem to think it's really important all it really is is following around a doc on his job.

Thanks for your help! You seem to be really experienced in the matter! Good luck with your studies :smile:
It's not impossible to get in but you're making it harder. I don't know a single doctor but I managed to get 3 weeks by begging, you still have time to arrange some don't give up. :smile:

Yeah, go for it. I got mine by emailing doctors or surgeons directly.

Just make the email fairly formal and there shouldn't be an issue. They may choose to ignore it or it may go into their spam box, but if it increases your chance by a bit then it's worth a go.
It's best if you have some hospital experience, but don't worry if you can't get any. I very nearly didn't get any, then got a few days over the point where my PS was due, so all I wrote was "I spent 3 days at x hospital shadowing junior doctors. I found it interesting and blah blah about career". I wrote lots of stuff about my experience at a nursing home and helping at a special school. That's the stuff that really shows you have skills - you can't do anything in a hospital other than show that you have a small insight into what being a doctor is like... In a specific setting... Without any long term perspective...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending