The Student Room Group

very basic predicate logic question (need help)

just going through some past papers before my exam today and stumbled across this question (see attachment)..

anyone know how i go about answering it? do i just say x = .... y = ....? can someone give me an example answer to this question?

cheers for any help/advice!
Reply 1
Original post by compSciIsGhey
just going through some past papers before my exam today and stumbled across this question (see attachment)..

anyone know how i go about answering it? do i just say x = .... y = ....? can someone give me an example answer to this question?

cheers for any help/advice!

You can't assign x in the first instance, because it says "for all x…", not "exists x". The question is asking you to find a statement P such that "For all x there exists a y such that P" is different to "There exists a y such that for all x, P", where x and y are married people. Your answer could look like:
"Such a statement P is ____, because it is true that for all married people x there is a married person y such that ____, but it could be false that there exists a married person y such that for all married people x, _____".
That formulation should be a lot easier to answer; humans aren't great at symbolic logic, but we're much better at concrete stuff, so you should work out what a question is actually asking if you get stuck.
It sometimes helps to realise that "for all" can be paraphrased as "for each".
This is a question you can't do.

Maybe there are some questions that no one can do.

Maybe everyone can find a question they can't do.

Quick Reply

Latest