Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This thread is for the upcoming Biology unit 1 exam. Discuss/ask questions/answer questions and clear doubts here

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for starting the thread! (Y)

could you explain this please? Name:  sd.jpg
Views: 3169
Size:  95.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SKK94)
    Thanks for starting the thread! (Y)

could you explain this please? Name:  sd.jpg
Views: 3169
Size:  95.2 KB
    The only thing I'm sure of is that the primary structure will be altered, so it cannot be D for sure.

Where is this question from? :0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Relaxedexams)
    The only thing I'm sure of is that the primary structure will be altered, so it cannot be D for sure.

Where is this question from? :0
    Just found the answer. It's C.
    But that implies the quarternary structure isn't altered (if primary is altered, wont't quarternary also be altered?)

Its a Cambridge AS paper
    (I had many doubts in it)
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf 9700_w12_qp_12.pdf (209.8 KB, 4256 views)
  2. File Type: pdf 9700_w12_ms_12.pdf (101.8 KB, 3254 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SKK94)
    Just found the answer. It's C.
    But that implies the quarternary structure isn't altered (if primary is altered, wont't quarternary also be altered?)

Its a Cambridge AS paper
    (I had many doubts in it)
    Yea, if the primary structure is altered, pretty much every other structure will also get altered. Wonder why quaternary structure is unchanged :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I see you've got your physics exam tomorrow. Good luck with that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SKK94)
    Oh, I see you've got your physics exam tomorrow. Good luck with that!
    Thanks! :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think this paper will focus on more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentno666)
    What do you guys think this paper will focus on more?
    Not really sure. Have you tried the Jan 2013 paper yet?
    They probably may not repeat any big topics already covered in that paper.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a difference between an atheroma and plaque??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Relaxedexams)
    Yea, if the primary structure is altered, pretty much every other structure will also get altered. Wonder why quaternary structure is unchanged :confused:
    I think the reason the quaternary structure isn't altered is because many proteins only have a quaternary structure if they have more than one polypeptide chain. On this question they only talk about one so you assume that the protein doesn't have a quaternary structure. As a result only the primary, secondary and tertiary structure is altered. I'm not entirely sure if this is correct tho

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain to me everything we need to know about meselson's and stahl's study and what it shows about DNA replication.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SKK94)
    Is there a difference between an atheroma and plaque??
    A plaque is a hardened atheroma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Savanii)
    Can someone please explain to me everything we need to know about meselson's and stahl's study and what it shows about DNA replication.
    Hey here follow this link. Hope the vid helps. If not i dnt knw how to explain try youtube maybe or read the new txt book it really helps
    http://www.khanacademy.org/science/b...ural-selection

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Savanii)
    A plaque is a hardened atheroma
    Oh, so basically an atheroma is just fatty deposits before they harden, and once they harden, they are referred to as plaque?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SKK94)
    Oh, so basically an atheroma is just fatty deposits before they harden, and once they harden, they are referred to as plaque?
    Yup, an atheroma is a fatty deposit. Eventually calcium salts and fibrous tissue builds up around the atheroma causing it to harden. This hardened atheroma is a plaque.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurraiyo)
    Yup, an atheroma is a fatty deposit. Eventually calcium salts and fibrous tissue builds up around the atheroma causing it to harden. This hardened atheroma is a plaque.
    Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys hows everyone feeling about this exam?
    Can someone answer the following questions for me, struggling a bit on the topic of tissue fluid.

Explain how the structure of a capillary is related to the formation of tissue fluid? (3)

Suggest why proteins are present in the plasma but are not normally present in tissue fluid (2)

Tissue fluid is reabsorbed back into capillaries as a result of the osmotic effect of the plasma proteins. Suggest why this reabsorption is reduced in a person on a protein deficient diet.(2)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 6171)
    Hey guys hows everyone feeling about this exam?
    Can someone answer the following questions for me, struggling a bit on the topic of tissue fluid.

Explain how the structure of a capillary is related to the formation of tissue fluid? (3)

Suggest why proteins are present in the plasma but are not normally present in tissue fluid (2)

Tissue fluid is reabsorbed back into capillaries as a result of the osmotic effect of the plasma proteins. Suggest why this reabsorption is reduced in a person on a protein deficient diet.(2)
    From which paper did you get these questions ?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the jan 2013 paper for unit 1?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.