The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6BIO1 ~ 21th May 2013 ~ AS Biology

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lob.dub
the most difficult part i find in biology unit 1 is time management..:frown: can anyone puleez share some tips on how???

To be honest everyone works at their own pace ; but stick to 1 min per Mark and that will leave you with 10 mins spare at the end to check.

Good Luck : I hope we both get excellent results :biggrin:
Reply 181
when the markscheme says that correct manipulation gets a mark, what does it mean?
Reply 182
do we have to know the primary secondary tertiary and quartenary proteins in detail?
Reply 183
Original post by amber109
when the markscheme says that correct manipulation gets a mark, what does it mean?

manipulation of figures
Reply 184

"Overall, X decreases, E.g, at 20 mins it was at 10cm, but at 30 mins, it was at 5cm"

Using the data to prove your point.
Reply 185
Can someone bullet point ALL the core practicals, in say 6 points, as it would appear in the mark scheme please? :colondollar:

THANK YOU.
Reply 186
Original post by TheAsian
"Overall, X decreases, E.g, at 20 mins it was at 10cm, but at 30 mins, it was at 5cm"

That's just stating, data manipulation involves a calculation with the data, so instead of quoting the data, you would say that in 10 minutes, X deceased by 5 cm
Reply 187
Original post by TheAsian

Ahh okey Thanks!
Reply 188
Original post by daniya12
That's just stating, data manipulation involves a calculation with the data, so instead of quoting the data, you would say that in 10 minutes, X deceased by 5 cm

OOOOOOOOOH okay thanks.
Wow, I went the whole year not even knowing that.:confused:
Reply 189

It means manipulate the figures; so do a calculation with them. Instead of stating that X increases/ decreases from this value to that value, you would say that X increases/decreases by this value, so you have to do a calculation to find that value.

Does that make sense? :smile:
Reply 190
Original post by daniya12
It means manipulate the figures; so do a calculation with them. Instead of stating that X increases/ decreases from this value to that value, you would say that X increases/decreases by this value, so you have to do a calculation to find that value.

Does that make sense? :smile:

yeah that makes sense! so basically do a calcualtion along with stating what data you see, thanks!
sooo scaredd afterr my terrible examm yesterday! have a feelings it gonna be proper hard-.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shareen96
sooo scaredd afterr my terrible examm yesterday! have a feelings it gonna be proper hard-.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

omg i so totally know how u feel. Although physics is always a pain. I love bio im just praying my love gets me through ive studied everything so god knows now.
Reply 193
do we have to know the primary secondary tertiary and quartenary proteins in detail?
Reply 194
Original post by Abigail05
unfortunately she is so annoying and against telling us anything :frown: she even said that she could remember one of the questions but wouldnt tell us, even though we were begging her!!

if it's any hint at all, in her revision lessons with us shes done
-cystic fibrosis (cause, treatment, effects, testing)
-the heart structure and atherosclerosis
-structure of amino acids
-transcription/translation
-mono/di/polysaccharides
-water

shes not done the fluid mosaic model..... or the titration practical.... so maybe theyre not in it?

that's all i can remember, but from what she said today it's going to be an absolutely hideous paper

Well that bodes well... 4th time sitting it i need a NICE paper!
Is the semi conservative theory basically just taking a strand of DNA from each parent? :/
Reply 196
Original post by examss

this is the detail I know it in :smile:

Primary Structure:
Sequence of amino acids joined by peptide bonds
Secondary Structure
The p[peptide chain coils into alpha helix's or beta sheets and they are joined by hydrogen bonds
Tertiary Structure
These are usually globular and the folded chain of amino acids is coiled further or folded further, You will get Ionic bonds and disulphide bridges

Quaternary structure:
There are the way the polypeptide chains are assembled together and it is the final 3D structure. It is also dependant on the tertiary structure so it is influenced by all the above bonds

The primary structure determines the final 3D structure as it depends on the sequence of amino acids which then determine the positioning of the bonds which then determines the shape of the active site

There are 2 types of 3D structure:
Fibirus:
There are long insoluble proteins which are tightly coiled in a rope shape. They have lots of bonds so are hard to break. you usually find them in supportive tissues such as muscles

Globular:
They are round and compact. They are coiled so that the hydrophilic part face inwards. This makes it soluble so they are easily transported in fluids. Examples could be haemoglobin
Original post by Ki Yung Na
Is the semi conservative theory basically just taking a strand of DNA from each parent? :/

Not quite. Strands from parents seperate, and free floating mononucleotides join up at completementary bases on the strands. (It's the currently accepted theory)

Good luck to everyone for today! Hope the paper goes well for you all!
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Not quite. Strands from parents seperate, and free floating mononucleotides join up at completementary bases on the strands. (It's the currently accepted theory)

Good luck to everyone for today! Hope the paper goes well for you all!

Thanks, so the strand separate and then parts of each strand with complimentary bases join up?
Reply 199
yeah that makes sense! so basically do a calcualtion along with stating what data you see, thanks!

You got it!! The most important part is the calculation- thats what gets you the manipulation mark

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending