The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6BIO1 ~ 21th May 2013 ~ AS Biology

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Skipper23
Does anyone know of any online sites that do interactive tests? And can anyone do bullet points for the enzyme core practical I just can't get my head around it. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the enzyme practical:
- Caesin (cloudy) can be broken down into amino acid (clear) by trypisn
- Make up 5 different trypsin concentrations eg 0,0.2,0.4,0.6,0.8,1 [Independent Variable]
-Add a fixed volume of trypsin to a fixed volume of casein
-Use a colorimeter and take absorbance readings every minute for say 5 minutes [Dependent Variable]
-Repeat three times at each concentration then repeat the whole experiment again
-Note down results and plot a graph
Things to be kept constant:
-Temperature
- Keep colorimeter filter the same
-Ph
-Concentration and volume of caesin
-Volume of trypsin
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by ArifK
If the enzyme core prac comes up would your independent variable be the substrate concentration or the enzyme concentration?? :confused:

Enzyme concentration :smile:
Reply 82
Define cardiac cycle in,point form?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
hi,has anyone solved the 2013 paper? if yes can someone explain to me why in q3 part b(i) we shouldnt talk about osmosis? cause in the mark scheme it says NOT osmosis:confused:
Original post by kimmykim1
hi,has anyone solved the 2013 paper? if yes can someone explain to me why in q3 part b(i) we shouldnt talk about osmosis? cause in the mark scheme it says NOT osmosis:confused:

I did this exam in Jan :smile:

Basically, notice the question was talking about the movement of a solute. Osmosis is the transport of free water molecules from areas of high concentration to low concentrations, therefore, the solute wasn't travelling by osmosis, as it isn't water.
Reply 85
why does obesity increase the risk of cvd?? I know it sounds simple but that's one of those awkward questions that i know id lose marks for
How's everyone feeling? Hoping the paper isn't too hard after the one in January being okay :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jojo1616
Define cardiac cycle in,point form?

Posted from TSR Mobile

- the sequence of events that occurs in one heart beat
- consists of the atrial systole, ventricular systole and diastole
Reply 88
Original post by Lucy96
How's everyone feeling? Hoping the paper isn't too hard after the one in January being okay :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nervous, hope there'll be no weird ques cuming out tomorrow! Bless us

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ADAOBI123
yeah very true, ive never seen a water question !

you'd better go thru that. besides going thru past papers, i have no idea what to study :confused:
Reply 90
Original post by ArifK
why does obesity increase the risk of cvd?? I know it sounds simple but that's one of those awkward questions that i know id lose marks for

Obesity is a consequence of a bad diet and an inactive lifestyle. A bad diet would include things such as saturated fats and high cholesterol, which increases the blood pressure which increases the chance of an atheroma forming due to the artery wall being ruptured. An atheroma would clog the arteries and lead to a plaque forming and therefore a high risk of CVD. An inactive lifestyle also increases blood pressure
Im guessing tomorrow is going to be a rather difficult paper since January 2013 was pretty simple... Any of your teachers gave expected questions or such? ANYTHING would help
Original post by CelloForLife
Im guessing tomorrow is going to be a rather difficult paper since January 2013 was pretty simple... Any of your teachers gave expected questions or such? ANYTHING would help

I agree! And my teacher said he expects gene therapy to come up again as it's been answered poorly so many times and so they'll continue to ask it until it's answered well. Maybe cystic fibrosis too? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Original post by mynameisntbobk
I did this exam in Jan :smile:

Basically, notice the question was talking about the movement of a solute. Osmosis is the transport of free water molecules from areas of high concentration to low concentrations, therefore, the solute wasn't travelling by osmosis, as it isn't water.

Thanks!
Can anyone tell me if Benedict's test and stuff are included?
Original post by Lucy96
I agree! And my teacher said he expects gene therapy to come up again as it's been answered poorly so many times and so they'll continue to ask it until it's answered well. Maybe cystic fibrosis too? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes those are for sure :smile: they come every year
Reply 96
Hi guys, do you guys have any general tips for how to remember the information for tomorrow, in particular does anyone know of a good revision source for videos as i'm finding it really hard to get my head round certain topics like replication and transcription. All answers appreciated. Many thanks and good luck!:smile::smile::smile:

P.S: I am sooo nervous about this one:confused::confused:
guys make sure u guys go over semi conservative dna rep...june 2011, 6 marker is deadly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
hi guys, i came across these Bio AS revision notes. i'm reading through it now and it's fairly okay. here's the link if any of you want it. :smile:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/54621588/Edexcel-Biology-AS-Revision-Notes
Does anyone have the examiners report for the jan 13 paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest