Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ive decided to have a comp for my 18th b.day i have about 900quid to spend on 1, i need 1 that has a printer and stuff, has any1 got any idea what to look 4?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*glitter*~)
    ive decided to have a comp for my 18th b.day i have about 900quid to spend on 1, i need 1 that has a printer and stuff, has any1 got any idea what to look 4?
    I have answered numerous threads like this one. Do a search.

With that kind of money you could get a laptop which you can then use at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)

yeah but i dont want a laptop, i dont like them. thats the thing i dont know what im lookin for, thats why i need ur help

ReputationRep:
    what will you be using it for?

ReputationRep:
    This is relevant:

http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=32215

ReputationRep:
    The best computer is the Earth Simulator:

http://www.es.jamstec.go.jp/esc/eng/ES/hardware.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shazza)
    what will you be using it for?
    i want one that i can put pics on off a dig camera, i want 1 that i can get on the internet and word process, i want a firly speedy 1 too

ReputationRep:
    This is relevant:

http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=32215
    To quote myself:

Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon Processor. These two are the main ones, any others, I would disregard. With speed, I'd recommend looking at nothing less than 2.8GHZ.

Ram (memory) - no less than 512MB

Hard disk (Hard drive) - no less than 120GB (GB = Gigabytes)

Graphics card - Don't buy anything that has MX attached to it, as it will be a budget graphics card. The main and best graphics cards are NVIDIA and RADEON. NVIDIA have names such as FX5200 - FX5950 where FX5200 is lower end, and FX5950 is high end. Graphics cards also have memory, and I wouldn't recommend buying anything less than 128MB of DDR RAM. Don't know much about Radeons.

CD Writer/ DVD Drive - Doesn't really matter. Down to personal preference, you can buy any CD Writer, though the brand I would recommend are Liteon. With regards to a DVD drive, you can buy either a writer or just a reader, a reader is cheap, a writer can cost anywhere between £120 - £500. I wouldn't recommend buying a DVD writer.

Monitor - Nothing less than 17" and preferably a TFT or flatscreen. Do not let them fob you off with a cheap old fashioned monitor.

The above, I would follow if you do intend to spend £1000. If you can't or don't know how to build your own, then I would recommend Dell, and buying direct from them. Avoid 'Time', 'Tiny', and 'Hewlett Packard' as they make crap and overpriced systems.

Buy direct through the Dell website or ring them up.

Me, personally, I wouldn't spend that sort of money, as the stuff you would have bought will no doubt be out of date within 12 months. Having said that I have probably spent £3000 in upgrades.

Regards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petrozzi)
    The best computer is the Earth Simulator:

http://www.es.jamstec.go.jp/esc/eng/ES/hardware.html
    lol. Funny guy.

btw Is that 10 terrabytes of RAM??!?

the best computer around now would be a quantum computer (hopefully with more than a few qubits) with luminal technology. (none of that electric crap)

ReputationRep:
    thanx bhaal, how much would u say it would be for a cd/dvd combi (for my dad mainly) my dad owns his own business and he can get dell executive stuff a trade prices, would u say this is worth a try??

ReputationRep:
    thanx bhaal, how much would u say it would be for a cd/dvd combi (for my dad mainly) my dad owns his own business and he can get dell executive stuff a trade prices, would u say this is worth a try??
    Try to avoid alll the mainstream places, even if they do appear to offer you a *good* deal. Shopping around can save you mega bucks.

With regards to DVD-RW take a look:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/product...spx?GroupID=42

If your dad can get them at trade prices, and provided you don't immediately go for the most expensive, as the common perception is that the more expensive is automatically deemed as the best, not neccessarily. Then yes I would, they have come down in price a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I recently bought an LG cd-rom, dvd-rom, cdwriter, dvdwriter combi, it was less than £100, and works a treat!

ReputationRep:
    Evesham or an Apple.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry mis-read the question. My personal preference is to have two seperate drives, one for CD-writing and the other for DVD. The thing I don't like with combi-drives is that if you are copying a cd you have to swap the CD's with each other, and because the drive is more of a combination of the two it won't be specifically designed for either.

I would recommend buying a spearte DVD and CDRW drive. This way, it allows you to have two drives, so it will be easy to copy your CD's, access one drive whilst watching a movie, etc. You can get a DVD reader for £20 and a GOOD CDWR drive for less than £50. Plus if one of them packs in, then you can just replace it easily. Whereas with a combi drive, if the DVD reading function messes up you have to fork out for a new drive.

Regards.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry mis-read the question. My personal preference is to have two seperate drives, one for CD-writing and the other for DVD. The thing I don't like with combi-drives is that if you are copying a cd you have to swap the CD's with each other, and because the drive is more of a combination of the two it won't be specifically designed for either.

I would recommend buying a spearte DVD and CDRW drive. This way, it allows you to have two drives, so it will be easy to copy your CD's, access one drive whilst watching a movie, etc. You can get a DVD reader for £20 and a GOOD CDWR drive for less than £50. Plus if one of them packs in, then you can just replace it easily. Whereas with a combi drive, if the DVD reading function messes up you have to fork out for a new drive.

Regards.
    sort of like those tv/vcr combi's, heap of steamy s**t basically

ReputationRep:
    Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon Processor.
    i would recommend AMD Athlon Xp, much better value for money and a i reckon better processor

Graphics card - Don't buy anything that has MX attached to it, as it will be a budget graphics card.
    i wouldnt worry too much unless you wish to do anything which would be require a beefy graphics card (e.g. computer games), if you just want to word process, surf the internet, watch dvds etc then a amazingly powerful graphics card won't be needed

a writer can cost anywhere between £120 - £500. I wouldn't recommend buying a DVD writer.
    DVD Writer £40 although i only does +RW and not -RW but:
    Here is a quality optorite dvd writer for £54 with +/- RW, perfect

Monitor - Nothing less than 17" and preferably a TFT or flatscreen. Do not let them fob you off with a cheap old fashioned monitor.
    TFT's are good, but if you do wish to play computers games then i would advise a CRT. The other dissadvantage you can get with TFTs sometimes are dead pixels

Shop around but dont shop around for too long the industry is moving fast, but you have to but it sometime

ReputationRep:

a laptop would not normally come with a printer etc. He would have to buy a printer, speakers(or watever he needs) within his budget(£900) as well as a laptop. He would be better off getting a computer package.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerline)
    a laptop would not normally come with a printer etc. He would have to buy a printer, speakers(or watever he needs) within his budget(£900) as well as a laptop. He would be better off getting a computer package.
    i dont think she wants a laptop

yeah but i dont want a laptop, i dont like them. thats the thing i dont know what im lookin for, thats why i need ur help

the best thing to do is to go down to your local dealer ( preferably a store ) and tell them what you will be needing it for

price range for a good PC will fall between £500 and £800, you'll be fine

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.