The Student Room Group

Studying Psychology

I've just chose my GCSE options. I'm interested in Psychology. It isn't offered at GCSE so i'm considering studying it at A-Level. One of the GCSE options was sociology however i didn't decide to pick it - do you think i should have, will it discourage me? The reason i decided not to pick it was because i've chosen similar subjects which are Reglious studies and Geography which i thought would be very much like sociology but i wasn't that interested in it anyway, are Psychology and sociology similar, do i need to study sociology? Thanks
Some people say that sociology is like psychology, but I'm not convinced! Psychology is probably more 'sciencey' than sociology.

I'm currently studying psychology at university and have never studied sociology. I had the same situation in that Psychology wasn't available to me as a GCSE, so the first time I 'officially' studied Psychology was AS-level. In my experience, you definitely don't 'need' to study sociology. Subjects that will probably help though if you do pursue Psychology are Maths (for the statistics), Biology (psychobiology isn't all that scary at all), and, as I found the hard way, maybe English (although it's not 100% necessary) if you might end up in psycholinguistics!

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about studying psychology in the future! :biggrin:
You definitely don't need to study both. A range of subjects is far better than picking similar subjects, and I know many people (myself included) who don't take Sociology but take Psychology. It's somewhat similar in that you study people and behaviour, but psychology is more science-based, and sociology is more based on interaction within society.

RS is actually pretty similar, I agree. It'll be good because it encourages lateral thinking and considering different perspectives which is great prep for psychology.

Don't worry at all, I think you made the right decision. If you want to take Sociology at A-level, then you don't need it for GCSE anyway and could still go ahead and do that.
Reply 3
Thank you :smile: I imagined RE to be similar anyway nice to hear it from someone else though, You said your studying Psychology how do you find it?
Original post by Popstudent78
Thank you :smile: I imagined RE to be similar anyway nice to hear it from someone else though, You said your studying Psychology how do you find it?

Yeah I love it, I'm in Year 13 on the OCR course. It's difficult at times and some people don't like the amount of studies you have to remember, but so long as you find it interesting it's brilliant! :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks cool, i imagine to like geography with the case studies then haha :smile: what else are you studying?
Original post by Popstudent78
Thanks cool, i imagine to like geography with the case studies then haha :smile: what else are you studying?

English Language, Art and EPQ. I took Government and Politics as my AS level but it was my least favorite, and least relevant to a psychology degree!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending