The Student Room Group

F965 OCR History Coursework - Interpretations

Hi, I've had almost no guidance by my teacher on how to go about answering the Interpretations question for OCR f965 History coursework. I have started by making my points and using the interpretations to help back up by argument. However, after reading the OCR coursework guidance page I think i've done it wrong and I should maybe be picking out the arguments made my the interpretations, stating them, and then using some knowledge on whether I agree or not on them?
Could anyone point me in the right direction, which way should I be doing this essay?
Thanks
Do you have a link to the guidance notes, or could you post them here?
Reply 2
It's pages 48-51 on http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/137492-examiners-reports-january.pdf

And the specification says: "The Interpretations element requires candidates to comprehend, analyse and evaluate the ways in which the past has been interpreted in debates between historians. This may be historiographically based or it may reflect different emphases and approaches by different historians, some of whom may have been writing in widely different periods. The passages on which the questions are based are taken from the work of recognised historians and are long enough to provide plenty of opportunity for candidates to assess and evaluate the arguments using their analytical skills and their knowledge of the topic. They can show that they can discriminate between different interpretations to reach a supported judgement on the issue into which they are making their enquiry. Candidates build on and develop the skills used in the Historical Enquiries undertaken in their AS studies. They have the opportunity to develop their arguments to sophisticated levels given the nature of the questions"
The second of the two options in your initial post is the better. The point here is to show that you understand these different interpretations and schools of thought, and then to evaluate them and their conclusions in light of the historical evidence. If you want, you can have a go at writing a practice essay and then send it to me to look over.
Original post by hihi24
Hi, I've had almost no guidance by my teacher on how to go about answering the Interpretations question for OCR f965 History coursework. I have started by making my points and using the interpretations to help back up by argument. However, after reading the OCR coursework guidance page I think i've done it wrong and I should maybe be picking out the arguments made my the interpretations, stating them, and then using some knowledge on whether I agree or not on them?
Could anyone point me in the right direction, which way should I be doing this essay?
Thanks

Original post by AdvanceAndVanquish
Do you have a link to the guidance notes, or could you post them here?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2324508&p=42540555#post42540555

Tis should be of some help!
Reply 5
Original post by hihi24
Hi, I've had almost no guidance by my teacher on how to go about answering the Interpretations question for OCR f965 History coursework. I have started by making my points and using the interpretations to help back up by argument. However, after reading the OCR coursework guidance page I think i've done it wrong and I should maybe be picking out the arguments made my the interpretations, stating them, and then using some knowledge on whether I agree or not on them?Could anyone point me in the right direction, which way should I be doing this essay?Thanks

i agree, I am in the same position. My teacher has said she can provide no help as its against OCR rules but I am confused how to structure the essay.
Reply 6

Sadly this link appears to be for the AS Paper rather Theban the A2 interpretations course work. Any other thoughts. Pleasesssssss
Original post by Dee26
Sadly this link appears to be for the AS Paper rather Theban the A2 interpretations course work. Any other thoughts. Pleasesssssss

It's very similar. Follow this for a brief outline.
Reply 8
We were told to group the passages into groups (eg. A and B agree with and C D and A partly disagrees) then structure it like, that. One grouping, followed by a mini judgement/some evaluation, then the other grouping followed by a mini judgement/evaluation, and then at the end compare all the passages together as a set, and finally decide which passage is the correct view (you should make a firm decision).
It's weird your teacher wont help you, ours helped us go over the passages in class and gave us an example coursework from a previous year. Which question are you doing?
Original post by citydeer
We were told to group the passages into groups (eg. A and B agree with and C D and A partly disagrees) then structure it like, that. One grouping, followed by a mini judgement/some evaluation, then the other grouping followed by a mini judgement/evaluation, and then at the end compare all the passages together as a set, and finally decide which passage is the correct view (you should make a firm decision).
It's weird your teacher wont help you, ours helped us go over the passages in class and gave us an example coursework from a previous year. Which question are you doing?

Hi my teacher has also refused all help with regard to this coursework, repeating that she cannot look at the coursework or even give us a structure. our deadline is this friday and most of our class still are no where near finished as they have no idea what/how to write this coursework - any further help or suggestions welcome!! Thankyou :smile:
Original post by Allie<3
Hi my teacher has also refused all help with regard to this coursework, repeating that she cannot look at the coursework or even give us a structure. our deadline is this friday and most of our class still are no where near finished as they have no idea what/how to write this coursework - any further help or suggestions welcome!! Thankyou :smile:

wow our teacher went through the passages with us and marked them once (and you could go ask for further help and for her to remark it), guess i'm lucky with my teacher!

My deadline is Wednesday, and I'm basically finished, what would you like help with?
Our teacher sent us a booklet guide of what to include - if we have the same question I could possibly send it you?
wow our teacher went through the passages with us and marked them once (and you could go ask for further help and for her to remark it), guess i'm lucky with my teacher!

My deadline is Wednesday, and I'm basically finished, what would you like help with?
Our teacher sent us a booklet guide of what to include - if we have the same question I could possibly send it you?

That's crazy! Can't believe how supportive your teacher is :smile: yes sending the booklet would be useful! what is your question?
Original post by Allie<3
That's crazy! Can't believe how supportive your teacher is :smile: yes sending the booklet would be useful! what is your question?

Its about Stalin's motivation with Eastern European policy - the booklet is only really centred around that question so if it's the same I could send it you!
Its about Stalin's motivation with Eastern European policy - the booklet is only really centred around that question so if it's the same I could send it you!

Thankyou but sadly our questions differ - thanks anyway x
Original post by Allie<3
Thankyou but sadly our questions differ - thanks anyway x

Sorry about that - if there is anything else I can help with let me know?
Anyone doing Causes of WW2 this year? Completely stuck on everything like structure and the actual interpretations
Reply 16
Do you still have this booklet?? thanks
Did anyone get an A-grade in the coursework?

If you look on various teachers' forums, they all seem to be confused as to what OCR are looking for!

I got 61 UMS out of 80 and was only 3 UMS from a grade A (64 UMS). :frown:

But I don't know what it is that's necessary to get it to an A.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending