The Student Room Group

rate of metabolism

'In liver cells the rate of metabolism is reduced; less heat is generated from exergonic reactions such as respiration', do the liver cells control the metabolism in the whole body? Why is this function available to the liver, isn't the liver mainly involved in detoxification? What exactly are the roles of the liver?
Reply 1
Hi! Don't know what level of detail you need but I can try and help (nearly a final year medical student).

Liver has a role in metabolism you are right - it metabolites fat, carbs and protein. More specifically it synthesises cholesterol and other fats, glycogenesis (making new glycogen)/gluconeogenesis (making new glucose), and synthesises proteins, respectively.

Other roles of the liver include making chemicals for clotting (to help make blood clots), metabolism of drugs and alcohol, bile production.

In terms of RATE of metabolism (I.e. how quick your body does stuff) your thyroid gland in your neck is responsible. The more chemicals your thyroid produces the quicker your body's metabolism is and vice versa.

Tried to keep it as simple as possible! Feel free to ask questions
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Swisha
Hi! Don't know what level of detail you need but I can try and help (nearly a final year medical student).

Liver has a role in metabolism you are right - it metabolites fat, carbs and protein. More specifically it synthesises cholesterol and other fats, glycogenesis (making new glycogen)/gluconeogenesis (making new glucose), and synthesises proteins, respectively.

Other roles of the liver include making chemicals for clotting (to help make blood clots), metabolism of drugs and alcohol, bile production.

In terms of RATE of metabolism (I.e. how quick your body does stuff) your thyroid gland in your neck is responsible. The more chemicals your thyroid produces the quicker your body's metabolism is and vice versa.

Tried to keep it as simple as possible! Feel free to ask questions

Oh so the liver does have a lot of metabolic functions, but it doesn't carry out all the metabolic reactions in the body. The spread I quoted that sentence with from is about maintaining body temperature, and when it talks about the rate of metabolism either being increased or decreased, it only refers to liver cells. :confused: Why did they do that? That's what I'm mainly confused about, is it because most metabolic reactions occur in the liver or something?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I guess the spread got it a bit muddled up.

As far as i recall, livercells had no apparent role in maintaining body temperature, it was the throid and in stress, the adrenal medula that regulated temperature. However, tgese influence the liver to increase rate of metabolism and so regulate temperature. Liver is the central metabolic station where glucose to glycogen and vice versa conversions take place, generating energy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest