Turn on thread page Beta

Federal Europe will be 'a reality in a few years', says Jose Manuel Barroso watch

ReputationRep:
    A fully fledged federal Europe may seem like "political science fiction" today but will soon become reality for all European Union countries whether inside or outside the euro, Jose Manuel Barroso has said.

Mr Barroso's announcement that he will set out plans for a European federation next spring, before elections to the European Parliament in May 2014, will further deepen Conservative divisions over the EU.

Am I the only one that thinks this is preposterous idea? More so after coming out of one of the world's biggest and longest recessions. UK-EU Relations are already on the edge, would this tip it over?

Article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...l-Barroso.html

ReputationRep:
    And they wonder why Euroskeptic sentiment is on the increase not just in the UK, but through the whole of Europe. Mr Barroso appears to have just bypassed democracy on this issue.

Then again, we are talking about a Europe that has quite openly welcomed totalitarianism with open arms in teh not too distant past.

ReputationRep:
    And people actually believe we benefit from being in this bureaucratic, undemocratic abomination? **** me.

God help us all.

ReputationRep:
    I am a huge advocate of a federal Europe and I do hope it happens in our lifetime but only under the right circumstances. It can only happen once every nation has adopted the Euro as a currency and the continent starts to work together financially instead as separate countries and quite frankly there's a lot of anti-EU sentiment in the UK and it is growing in other big players, even from Germany, so I don't think this will work as well as Barroso is hoping.

But maybe I'm wrong, maybe for monetary union to work, Europe requires political union first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joeman560)
    And Guardian readers actually believe we benefit from being in this bureaucratic, undemocratic abomination? **** me.

God help us all.
    Fixed that for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    I am a huge advocate of a federal Europe and I do hope it happens in our lifetime but only under the right circumstances. It can only happen once every nation has adopted the Euro as a currency and the continent starts to work together financially instead as separate countries and quite frankly there's a lot of anti-EU sentiment in the UK and it is growing in other big players, even from Germany, so I don't think this will work as well as Barroso is hoping.

But maybe I'm wrong, maybe for monetary union to work, Europe requires political union first.
    I disagree with you, but I respect your opinion.

Would a better solution be to ask the elctorate what they want rather than just doing it?

Incidentally, why are you an advocate of a Federal Europe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    I disagree with you, but I respect your opinion.

Would a better solution be to ask the elctorate what they want rather than just doing it?

Incidentally, why are you an advocate of a Federal Europe?
    Oh yes it would be imperative that the electorate have a say in this and it is ultimately their decision and I do believe they would vote against a Europe or maybe event to leave the EU all together. I think it's partly because of the anti-EU sentiment in the British press but I'm not going to patronise people on their reasons for wanting to leave. It is their choice and there's good reason for both.

I do enjoy the level of freedom of movement that the EU provides and to have a stronger voice in the world with the big rising players it would be nice to be a part of a strong market where it can dictate and project its interests to ensure a healthy and strong way of life for Europeans, much like what the US does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    Oh yes it would be imperative that the electorate have a say in this and it is ultimately their decision and I do believe they would vote against a Europe or maybe event to leave the EU all together. I think it's partly because of the anti-EU sentiment in the British press but I'm not going to patronise people on their reasons for wanting to leave. It is their choice and there's good reason for both.

I do enjoy the level of freedom of movement that the EU provides and to have a stronger voice in the world with the big rising players it would be nice to be a part of a strong market where it can dictate and project its interests to ensure a healthy and strong way of life for Europeans, much like what the US does.
    Just a few points as I don't want to get into a big debate/argument.

The press gets pushed as anti Europe. The press tends to cater for it's target audience so it will reflect their viewpoints. Also, when we had the referendum on the EEC, it was actually pushed through because the press supported it. It wasn't going to go through otherwise according to all of the opinion polls.

I like the idea of freedom of movement but to a certain extent we get that already. Hostorically freedom of movement was all about controlling what came into your borders. Basically it was driven by the tax ma making sure people were paying trade tariffs. Globally trade tariffs are coming down so there's no real reason for such stringent barriers. After all, I can quite happily travel around America etc.

The voice in the world thing. I think we have a very strong voice already, what the EU is good for is giving smaller nations a stronger voice, but we don't fall into that category. After all, how can a non Brit, based in Brussels speak on our behalf?

But I fully respect you for promoting a referendum on such an issue. I get very worried as pretty much all of the pro federalists I've met have said 'it's too important to be left to the electorate.

ReputationRep:
    Federal Earth would be better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Just a few points as I don't want to get into a big debate/argument.

The press gets pushed as anti Europe. The press tends to cater for it's target audience so it will reflect their viewpoints. Also, when we had the referendum on the EEC, it was actually pushed through because the press supported it. It wasn't going to go through otherwise according to all of the opinion polls.

I like the idea of freedom of movement but to a certain extent we get that already. Hostorically freedom of movement was all about controlling what came into your borders. Basically it was driven by the tax ma making sure people were paying trade tariffs. Globally trade tariffs are coming down so there's no real reason for such stringent barriers. After all, I can quite happily travel around America etc.

The voice in the world thing. I think we have a very strong voice already, what the EU is good for is giving smaller nations a stronger voice, but we don't fall into that category. After all, how can a non Brit, based in Brussels speak on our behalf?

But I fully respect you for promoting a referendum on such an issue. I get very worried as pretty much all of the pro federalists I've met have said 'it's too important to be left to the electorate.
    Well if I'm honest, my views on Europe seem to change every couple of years, but at the moment I seem to be in favor of European Integration. I simply do not believe that this issue is too important to be left for electorate and like yourself I too get very worried on that kind of attitude.

I do think we have a strong voice, but one that will get weaker in the future if we're just stuck on the sidelines. I suppose what I really want is just a decision from our parliament (or the people, I should say), in or out. That way we can start to use our political and economic power for our own interest or fully get together with the rest of Europe in order to create a better Europe for us all to enjoy. I think our current situation is not, in any way, favourable and it pushes down the confidence of our government in the eyes of the people (and maybe the world).

I don't really have time to get into a massive debate either (I am in work after all!) I will say though that over the next few years it'll be very interesting in relation to British politics.

ReputationRep:
    Yay! Been waiting for this for too damn long.

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving to Australia if we end up in a federal Europe.

ReputationRep:
    BEAT THE DRUMS/ Thread

ReputationRep:
    Straightforward question: can someone kindly explain why they think the EU isn't a federation at the moment?

As for being a super-state, the only thing I can see that stops it being that is that military forces are still entirely in the hands of member-states, even with things like EUFOR.

ReputationRep:
    Stop fear mongering about a totalitarian state.

Something else he also said is that Europe needs to embrace democratic debate or else the EU will fall.

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...o-eurosceptics

ReputationRep:
    Funny how "conspiracy theorists" were the first group of people to point out that individuals like Baroso wanted an EU superstate...and now here you all are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    Funny how "conspiracy theorists" were the first group of people to point out that individuals like Baroso wanted an EU superstate...and now here you all are.
    There are so many crazy fools with conspiracy theories, that a few are bound to come true.

ReputationRep:
    Just another unelected nutjob milking his non existent authority,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan-James)
    Just another unelected nutjob milking his non existent authority,
    The unelected nutjob than calls for democratic debate*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_G)
    The unelected nutjob than calls for democratic debate*
    Oh yes because the title of this thread is about democratic debate. Oh wait.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 23, 2013

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.