The Student Room Group

Should I buy an 06 Clio for £3000?

I am not interested in cars, so I get my mum and dad to go around looking for me. They recently found a black Clio somewhere local at a garage (my dad is too scared to go and buy from people's houses, idiot) that is selling for £3000.

Is an 06 Clio with 94,000 on the clock worth 3k? I feel it's a bit steep.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What engine? New shape/old shape? 3dr/5dr? Such factors have quite a bearing on what it's worth.
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I am not interested in cars, so I get my mum and dad to go around looking for me. They recently found a black Clio somewhere local at a garage (my dad is too scared to go and buy from people's houses, idiot) that is selling for £3000.

Is an 06 Clio with 94,000 on the clock worth 3k? I feel it's a bit steep.

It isn't worth £3k.

My '06 Clio only had 50,000 on the clock, and I got that for £3300.

If it's up for £3000, you could try negotiating down a little, due to the mileage. Make sure it has had all the services done though, it should definitely have had it's cam belt done 22,000 miles ago.
Reply 3
No.

I bought a mint condition VW Polo which had 23,000 miles for £2.7k. Apart from replacing a tyre and the battery (cost less than £100), it's been perfect.

Found it on eBay. And yes I had to go to someone's house, but she was a little old lady. And old ladies are the best people to buy cars from! No reason to be scared....do an online check on the car which costs a couple of quid, take it for a test spin as well and give it a good look over before you hand money over. Most people aren't out there to bend you over...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
As a general rule, small cars are clapped-out at 100k miles. Always try to get low mileage. With £3k, I would look for a car with about 40k,the year is about right. The average annual mileage is about 12k, but it varies greatly.
Reply 5
No point buying a car that's nearly at 100K. You might as well buy something over 100K you'll probably get it for a fair bit cheaper.

I assume its the newer shape Clio (MK3)? and not the older shape

Like this: 792px-Renault_Clio_II_1.2_Confort_Authentique_Facelift.JPG
Reply 6
French cars are made of cheese, don't go near them!
Clio's tend to have a reputation for having problems with their electronics on the car. Better off with a Japanese car or a VW polo.
Original post by Camoxide
No point buying a car that's nearly at 100K. You might as well buy something over 100K you'll probably get it for a fair bit cheaper.

I assume its the newer shape Clio (MK3)? and not the older shape

Like this: 792px-Renault_Clio_II_1.2_Confort_Authentique_Facelift.JPG

Yah, that's the one, but the one I want is black.
Original post by Geo_cos
French cars are made of cheese, don't go near them!

You're a ****ing tool.

I assume Korean cars are made out dogs, or something else too/~
90K miles lol???

I paid £1150 for a 2001 Corsa C sri...

83,500 miles on the clock. That's good for a 13 year old car. But 90K for a 2006 model, no way.
no mate, keep looking. I was in the exact same situation its a difficult time to buy now as well but just keep checking every day. You want something with less than 60,000 miles ideally.
The Clio I am looking at in the OP is actually an 02 Clio, not an 06 Clio.
Reply 13
Original post by Friggerpants
You're a ****ing tool.

Come on then, clever clogs. How am I a ****ing tool?
I didn't mean it literally, just in case you are dense enough to think that. It means that they are badly engineered, made of low quality materials, very difficult to work on, unreliable and expensive for what they are. I've been working on cars for over 10 years.

For example, to change the top strut bushes on the old generation laguna, you had to take the fuel tank off. Which wouldn't be too bad, but the fuel tank bolts are on the underside, and on a 10+ year old car made of pig iron, are rusted to ****, so you have to grind them off. Just next to the fuel tank. Great. And then, as renault don't do new ones, you have to fabricate new fasteners, and weld them on. All to get to a bush that takes the best part of 10 mins to do on an equivalent Mondeo/Accord.

So, aye, I'm a ****ing tool.
Original post by Geo_cos
Come on then, clever clogs. How am I a ****ing tool?
I didn't mean it literally, just in case you are dense enough to think that. It means that they are badly engineered, made of low quality materials, very difficult to work on, unreliable and expensive for what they are. I've been working on cars for over 10 years.

For example, to change the top strut bushes on the old generation laguna, you had to take the fuel tank off. Which wouldn't be too bad, but the fuel tank bolts are on the underside, and on a 10+ year old car made of pig iron, are rusted to ****, so you have to grind them off. Just next to the fuel tank. Great. And then, as renault don't do new ones, you have to fabricate new fasteners, and weld them on. All to get to a bush that takes the best part of 10 mins to do on an equivalent Mondeo/Accord.

So, aye, I'm a ****ing tool.

Nearly all makes of cars have awkward jobs on them, but do you base an entire brands reputation on one car?

Do people stop buying Civic type R's, because it's a whole sub frame off job to change the clutch? Do people stop buying Lotus' or Alfa Coupes, because to change Cambelt's it's an engine out job?

Expensive? Really? French cars are renowned for depreciating like stones........meaning a brilliant 2nd hand market. Compare a equal spec Clio to a Polo and see wh

Unreliable? 10 years ago, maybe, but look at current stats clicky. Not a mention of Reno.

The interior plastics are crap, I'll give you that though, but no worse than a Eastern car.......
OP, For £3000, you can get either a better car, or a far better spec.

Clios for £3000

Other cars for £3000
Reply 16
Original post by Friggerpants
Nearly all makes of cars have awkward jobs on them, but do you base an entire brands reputation on one car?

Do people stop buying Civic type R's, because it's a whole sub frame off job to change the clutch? Do people stop buying Lotus' or Alfa Coupes, because to change Cambelt's it's an engine out job?

Expensive? Really? French cars are renowned for depreciating like stones........meaning a brilliant 2nd hand market. Compare a equal spec Clio to a Polo and see wh

Unreliable? 10 years ago, maybe, but look at current stats clicky. Not a mention of Reno.

The interior plastics are crap, I'll give you that though, but no worse than a Eastern car.......

Yes, all cars have awkward jobs, but most manufacturers do their best to engineer out the awkwardness, but from all the french cars I've worked on in the last decade, I really don't think they do.

Yes, they depreciate steeply, thus making them expensive. You don't really seem to understand this. French cars are worth less, because they are less reliable, less desirable, and in general, a substandard product.

Well done on the link, of the top 5 most unreliable cars, 2 were french. Just google "frenc car reliability" and see for yourself the terrible reviews they get.
Original post by Geo_cos
Yes, all cars have awkward jobs, but most manufacturers do their best to engineer out the awkwardness, but from all the french cars I've worked on in the last decade, I really don't think they do.

Yes, they depreciate steeply, thus making them expensive. You don't really seem to understand this. French cars are worth less, because they are less reliable, less desirable, and in general, a substandard product.

Well done on the link, of the top 5 most unreliable cars, 2 were french. Just google "frenc car reliability" and see for yourself the terrible reviews they get.

I thought the OP was on about a Renault Clio? Reno's don't appear in that link I posted (In case you didn't notice).

I've owned VAG, Ford, British, and Reno cars, and the truth is, I've had less issues with my Reno's then my other cars. I don't like to admit it, because deep down, I'm a VAG man through and through. Maybe because they're "relatively" new (<10 years), I don't know, however past ten years ago, nearly all cars where ****.

Less desirable is complete subjective. I don't like Minis, Johhny does. I like Fabia VRS's Freddie doesn't.

You cannot base an entire nations car range on one car marque!

That's like me saying "I'd never buy a Bentley, because Rover were made in he same country!"

Reno have very loose ties with PSA, in fact, Ford and BMW collaborate more with Citroen/Peugeot........
Reply 18
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Yah, that's the one, but the one I want is black.

No way is that worth £3000. You should be able to get the mk3 clio for that which is a much better car.

Decent spec one here for £3500 with lower mileage and in bllaaaccckkkkkkkkk

http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201305236917685/sort/default/usedcars/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old/model/clio/make/renault/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/40/postcode/nope/page/5?logcode=p
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Camoxide
No way is that worth £3000. You should be able to get the mk3 clio for that which is a much better car.

Decent spec one here for £3500 with lower mileage and in bllaaaccckkkkkkkkk

http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201305236917685/sort/default/usedcars/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old/model/clio/make/renault/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/40/postcode/nope/page/5?logcode=p

I think that newer model looks awfully feminine.

I am now thinking of a Seat Ibiza.

Quick Reply

Latest