Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040319/325/eozdd.html

After all the media stuff about it being tap water, they've had to withdraw it!
    Ha!
    Or was this merely a ploy to remove a product which was going to fail anyway?

ReputationRep:
    apparently its being recalled because it had too a high a level of *insert weird chemical name here* in it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040319/325/eozdd.html

After all the media stuff about it being tap water, they've had to withdraw it!
    Ha!
    Or was this merely a ploy to remove a product which was going to fail anyway?
    i am upset to hear about the health scare - i drank some of that crap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooDoll)
    apparently its being recalled because it had too a high a level of *insert weird chemical name here* in it
    Bromate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    i am upset to hear about the health scare - i drank some of that crap
    Well, its only through longer term exposure.
    As long as you weren't so stupid to buy the tap water, there shouldn't be any permenant damage.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm, this has just made me think, if dasani water is tap water bottled then doesn't it mean that normal tap water also has high levels of "bromate" too? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    hmmm, this has just made me think, if dasani water is tap water bottled then doesn't it mean that normal tap water also has high levels of "bromate" too? :confused:
    she makes a valid point - in fact most mineral water companies do the same

ReputationRep:
    Never actually heard of that stuff.

On a slightly different point. Has anyone from the North ever tasted southern tap water? Bleugh. Its disgusting, not only is it luke warm when its supposed to be cold, it just doesnt taste right. At home I always drink tap water, its cold and it actually tastes like water should.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Never actually heard of that stuff.

On a slightly different point. Has anyone from the North ever tasted southern tap water? Bleugh. Its disgusting, not only is it luke warm when its supposed to be cold, it just doesnt taste right. At home I always drink tap water, its cold and it actually tastes like water should.
    well, i'm from the north and i think yorkshire tap water tastes awful to be honest.... i'll be able to make a critcal comparison of northern and southern tap water when i go to bath uni in october

ReputationRep:
    well, i'm from the north and i think yorkshire tap water tastes awful to be honest.... i'll be able to make a critcal comparison of northern and southern tap water when i go to bath uni in october
    Well maybe its just Lancashire with lovely tap water

But seriously is cold water actually cold with you? Trust me, here it is luke warm during the day, but gets a little colder at night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Well maybe its just Lancashire with lovely tap water

But seriously is cold water actually cold with you? Trust me, here it is luke warm during the day, but gets a little colder at night.
    lol, try running the water for a minute or too, then it should get colder... water here is awful, but cold is cold and warm is warm...

ReputationRep:
    lol, try running the water for a minute or too, then it should get colder... water here is awful, but cold is cold and warm is warm...
    i hate it - it is so hard and harsh - the tap water

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge water is awful. Give me Devon tap water any day - cold and clear . I had never seen a furred-up kettle until I came here. Two uses and my kettle has plaque....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Cambridge water is awful. Give me Devon tap water any day - cold and clear . I had never seen a furred-up kettle until I came here. Two uses and my kettle has plaque....

I'll rephrase what I said. It appears that the west side of Britain has good tap water

Is there any REAL difference in taste among the various brands of bottled water? How many different 'flavours' can bottled water really have? I think Dasani is/was selling so well only because it's produced by the Coca Cola Company.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by blissy)
    Best way to de-fur a kettle (discovered by my sister when she was little and trying to make hot ribena) boil undiluted (or slightly diluted) squash in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trinigyal)
    Is there any REAL difference in taste among the various brands of bottled water? How many different 'flavours' can bottled water really have? I think Dasani is/was selling so well only because it's produced by the Coca Cola Company.
    apparently gatwick is opening a water bar where you can buy water from all around the world - just like a pub - except no alcohol - just water

ReputationRep:
    It says in that story that bromide is a derivative of calcium chloride...errr how? Bromide is a derivative of bromine is it not? (This will look very bad if i'm wrong seeing as i'm a chemistry degree student!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I bet that will be really popular :rolleyes:
    Well considering us Brits have an almost unquenchable thirst for bottled water I don't see why not.

Some peope have to live without clean drinking water, and have to walk miles every day to get some. Its sad in a way that we buy mineral water.

On a different note, water in Staffs is disgusting, and nice in Northants

These people who get into the bottled water business are pretty smart. They give all this info on water fresh from the springs of some enchanted place or purified using the most modern technology bla bla bla.... The best tasting water you'll ever get.. and I bet consumers are just so enticed by the wonderful descriptions that they buy it forgetting about the actual taste of it, which would most likely be bland, as water always has been and probably always will be.

btw... I don't like drinking water. I only do when i'm reeeeeally thirsty and there's nothing else around!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.