Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The reports say "bromate". I don't know if that's something different from bromide.... :confused:

Thanks for the ribena advice pencilqueen. And JJ - I think we can agree that the east has NASTY water

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trinigyal)

btw... I don't like drinking water. I only do when i'm reeeeeally thirsty and there's nothing else around!

<hardly drinks anything but tap water>

But water's the BEST thing for thirst quenching and re-hydration! FIzzy is bad for your teeth, hot drinks don't refresh in the same was and juice is just expensive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)

But water's the BEST thing for thirst quenching and re-hydration! FIzzy is bad for your teeth, hot drinks don't refresh in the same was and juice is just expensive!
    water all the way - yay for water - great after a long run - u can spray it up into the air and allow ur face to cool too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I never buy the stuff. What a waste of money! When I'm playing footie I just fill an old coke bottle up with filtered tap water.

Water from Kielder is bloody horrible, much too hard. But its not bad if its filtered and stood a while in the fridge.
    water's pretty hard down here too - kettles full of fur

ReputationRep:
    The reports say "bromate". I don't know if that's something different from bromide.... :confused:
    Coca-Cola said the bromate was formed during the ozone gas purification process it used in Dasani manufacturing and bottling. To ensure that Dasani meets calcium levels required in all UK bottled water products, it adds calcium chloride, a derivative of bromide.

But due to the amount of bromide in the water, the ozonisation process caused bromate to form at unacceptable levels, Coca Cola said.
    Bromide is an ion, and it says in the article thats its a derivative of calcium chloride, which it can't be, cos calcium chloride doesn't contain anything to do with bromine!

Bromate is different to bromide, but that makes sense because it is formed when bromide is reacted with the ozone gas.

Oh and i also agree about the nasty water in the East, i'm pretty much as Eastern as you can be (East Anglia) and the tap water here is nasty!

But it's got no taste!!!! Although, i must admit that it's a good habit to drink water, i just don't do it as often as i should i suppose. I like to drink tasty stuff! Taste is v.v. important.

Anyway, to kinda get back to the original topic:

(Original post by Iluvatar)
    Or was this merely a ploy to remove a product which was going to fail anyway?
    I think Dasani is still doing very well in my country, along with other brands of bottled water, even though a fair number of people still drink water straight from the tap with no problems here.

ReputationRep:
    I never buy the stuff. What a waste of money! When I'm playing footie I just fill an old coke bottle up with filtered tap water.

Water from Kielder is bloody horrible, much too hard. But its not bad if its filtered and stood a while in the fridge.
    I think the water I get at home comes from Rutland water - its ok. The stuff up here is horrible though. Severn Trent water need to get their act together.

Coca-Cola will soon have a monopoly on mineral water though, they already own Dasani, Buxton and Vittel. it'll be Evian, Volvic and Badoit next

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    Bromide is an ion, and it says in the article thats its a derivative of calcium chloride, which it can't be, cos calcium chloride doesn't contain anything to do with bromine!

Bromate is different to bromide, but that makes sense because it is formed when bromide is reacted with the ozone gas.

Oh and i also agree about the nasty water in the East, i'm pretty much as Eastern as you can be (East Anglia) and the tap water here is nasty!
    I read it was carcinogenic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    I read it was carcinogenic.
    So are carrots.......apparently.

ReputationRep:
    actually all cooked foods and root vegetables are carcinogenic - that is why i am now a fruitarian - deadly serious about that
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by jammyd)
    I think the water I get at home comes from Rutland water - its ok. The stuff up here is horrible though. Severn Trent water need to get their act together.

Coca-Cola will soon have a monopoly on mineral water though, they already own Dasani, Buxton and Vittel. it'll be Evian, Volvic and Badoit next
    They don't own Perrier but evil Nestle have got their claws into that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    actually all cooked foods and root vegetables are carcinogenic - that is why i am now a fruitarian - deadly serious about that
    The sun can cause skin cancer - do you avoid sunlight as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    They don't own Perrier but evil Nestle have got their claws into that
    I like Nestle. Love those crunch bars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    Must be a jolly interesting life.....sitting in the dark eating apples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    no
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Howard)
    Must be a jolly interesting life.....sitting in the dark eating apples.
    Organic locally produced apples

ReputationRep:
    The milky bars are on me.
    Question for you. Can you get "Wonka" bars in the UK?

Just like a crunch bar (only bigger, in a pink wrapper, and with a chance of finding a golden ticket inside) I love them.

ReputationRep:
    Organic locally produced apples
    How the long winter nights must just fly by.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Howard)
    Question for you. Can you get "Wonka" bars in the UK?

Just like a crunch bar (only bigger, in a pink wrapper, and with a chance of finding a golden ticket inside) I love them.
    Wonka launched choclate with fizzy dust (space dust?) inside a few yrs back but I haven't seen bog standard wonka bars

Personally I'm a double decker and a spira girl (although Nestle tries to temp me with their toffee crisps and jelly tots :mad: )

ReputationRep:
    Wonka launched choclate with fizzy dust (space dust?) inside a few yrs back but I haven't seen bog standard wonka bars

Personally I'm a double decker and a spira girl (although Nestle tries to temp me with their toffee crisps and jelly tots :mad: )
    Well who makes Wonka? Is it a brand all on it's own or is it made by someone?

Yes, double deckers are great (didn't Willie Russel used to do the advert for them?) and so are biscuit and raison yorky bars (the purple wrapper)

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.