Coca Cola recalls Dasani tap water! watch

Announcements
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Howard)
    Well who makes Wonka? Is it a brand all on it's own or is it made by someone?

Yes, double deckers are great (didn't Willie Russel used to do the advert for them?) and so are biscuit and raison yorky bars (the purple wrapper)
    I'm not sure - they were marketed as a new brand but it wouldn't surprise me if they were like Rountrees and just a subsidiary of a bigger company.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I'm not sure - they were marketed as a new brand but it wouldn't surprise me if they were like Rountrees and just a subsidiary of a bigger company.
    And a quick google seems to show that wonka=nestle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    And a quick google seems to show that wonka=nestle
    That explains why a Wonka tastes and looks like a crunch (cep't bigger)

ReputationRep:
    the problem with Dasani is that it contains 10-25 ppb of Bromate, the legal limit in the UK is 10 ppb. the EU safe limit is 25 ppb, so it's only being withdrawn inthe UK.

The FSA have release a statement today saying that there are no immediate health risks.

Bromate is a potential carcinogen. ie experiements to date are not conclusive.

HtH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    the problem with Dasani is that it contains 10-25 ppb of Bromate, the legal limit in the UK is 10 ppb. the EU safe limit is 25 ppb, so it's only being withdrawn inthe UK.

The FSA have release a statement today saying that there are no immediate health risks.

Bromate is a potential carcinogen. ie experiements to date are not conclusive.

HtH
    Well, this doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Let me get this straight. You can go out to the corner shop and buy 3 packs of Benson Hedges and chainsmoke all of them, but Dasani water has been banned because at 25 ppb there's a tinsy winsy chance it might be carcinogenic.

Hmmmm.....go figure that one.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how much they intended to charge for dasani? It's ridiculous paying for tap water in a bottle, mineral water is expensive enough and i bet dasani is probably double the price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trinigyal)
    Is there any REAL difference in taste among the various brands of bottled water? How many different 'flavours' can bottled water really have? I think Dasani is/was selling so well only because it's produced by the Coca Cola Company.
    Oh, so many! I loathe Volvic but Evian is lovely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    My rabbits don't have cancer.
    Yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Well, this doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Let me get this straight. You can go out to the corner shop and buy 3 packs of Benson Hedges and chainsmoke all of them, but Dasani water has been banned because at 25 ppb there's a tinsy winsy chance it might be carcinogenic.

Hmmmm.....go figure that one.
    Well they're the facts! Legal levels are there to protect the consumer! Say bromide is carcinogen at 25 ppb... You'll be glad you live in the UK

(Original post by suspicious_fish)
    Oh, so many! I loathe Volvic but Evian is lovely.
    How can the blandest drink in the world have different 'flavours'? It's all a scam I tell you! I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be just one large secret company bottling the same water under different brand names and making a mint in the process.

Next thing you know... when the air becomes so polluted that it isn't safe to breathe through your nose, we'll be buying bottled oxygen under different brand names with different 'smells' too!

AND... we'll be choosing which brand of bottled oxygen to buy based on how good it smells. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How can the blandest drink in the world have different 'flavours'?
    They call it "Evian" for a reason, look at what word it is if you read it backwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    They call it "Evian" for a reason, look at what word it is if you read it backwards.
    Believe me, I know what a rip-off bottled water is, I never buy it unless I absolutely have to. Tap water's alright for me!

ReputationRep:
    How can the blandest drink in the world have different 'flavours'? It's all a scam I tell you! I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be just one large secret company bottling the same water under different brand names and making a mint in the process.
    No scam - go out and get yourself a bottle of shop brand sparkling mineral water and a bottle of San Pellegrino.

Then tell us they have the same taste

ReputationRep:

Next thing you know... when the air becomes so polluted that it isn't safe to breathe through your nose, we'll be buying bottled oxygen under different brand names with different 'smells' too!
    Maybe I just have an unusually sensitive sense of taste, but I find some bottles waters almost undrinkably horrible.
    But I agree - the whole bottled water thing is a farce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    Believe me, I know what a rip-off bottled water is, I never buy it unless I absolutely have to. Tap water's alright for me!
    I actually hate the taste of mineral water, it's disgusting. Tap water's healthier, you need some germs to keep building up the immune system.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.