The Student Room Group
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London

Any really mature Goldsmith's students/freshers????

Hi, I start a BA in Education, Culture and Society in September and my grades are in and there's four months between here and the start of the course and I'm curious as hell as to what it's going to be like, who'll be there, will anyone be my age, which is 33, with child? Any other separated fathers out there who look after their little ones just some of the time, like me?
I went to an open day for offer holders and I was the only male in the room, and the only person older than 20, i think. All that's fine, but at the same time I can't help but be a little worried.
By some miracle I've already got my accommodation sorted out and it's lovely on Dulwich/Norwood border, so now I've just got to wait and I'm already getting a little antsy so thought I'd send some feelers out there on this. Notice I haven't really asked a question, more just wondering if there are any oldies out there, what you're into, studying, etc, etc. Cheers.
Reply 1
Hi I will be turning 28 this fall and will be doing MA design and environment. I don't think you should worry! You will be all fine!
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London
Reply 2
I'm 37, starting my PhD in Media and Communications, with focus on PR and place-branding. :smile:
Reply 3
Hi, I know lots of people on that degree and there are some mature single dads like you on most years. The students on the course are really diverse and there are plenty of chances to challenge your own and other people's assumptions. Staff are friendly and supportive:smile: Goldsmiths itself has a very healthy number of mature students across the board
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
The course sounds right up my street, it's as though it was written especially for me. Now im just waiting for it to start. ticktock ticktock!!!!
Reply 5
I'm 21, starting the BMusic course in September :smile:
Reply 6
Hi Adam

I'm starting a BA in Psychology in September and I'm a 44 year old mum of four plus two step-children. I felt older than some of the other students' parents at the last open day! But I can't wait to start. It's going to be fantastic :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hey Adam,
I actually studied ECS, graduating in 2009 and it was an amazing course! Like yourself, I felt like it had been made to measure for me... given the broad range of modules on offer and the quality of teaching/facilities. I couldn't have found a more fitting degree to uproot for and invest in financially. I miss my time there!

I really wouldn't worry about your age, 33 is a great stage in life to start this degree. I was 26 when I started it and many of my contemporaries and older valued the time we had on that course and took it seriously. True, there wasn't many guys on my course at the time either. But, due to the diverse range of people in the classroom as it was, this didn't seem to be an issue for any of them.

Also, many of the older students had families, jobs and care commitments, yet still managed to dedicate themselves to study. If anything, their links with local nurseries and schools aided them in finding placements for research and just having background personal experience of topics we covered seemed a bonus.

Wishing you all the best with it and enjoy Goldsmiths! :smile:
Reply 8
ah thanks so much for taking the time to reply. i was wondering if i could ask you a few questions? dont worry if you havent the time to reply:

im a creative person but pretty talentless when it comes to the technical side of things, id love to do it though. did you take any of the visual art options?

what was the subject of your dissertation?

what do you do now?

thanks so much. im just waiting, waiting, waiting now. very excited.
Reply 9
I know it's really last minute but so y'all know, there is a meetup tonight for mature students on the first floor of the SU (the one with the cafe). From 6pm-8:30.

I'm close to your age and I'm in my final year of a BA in Design here. Don't let it bother you.. it's never too late to learn. Sure, you might not want to go to the same parties as younger people but you can still make friends despite the age gap. I have friends 10 years younger and 10 or more years older than me. I admire anybody who has kids and can do Uni at the same time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending