Most impressive last minute exam success stories! Watch

lilGem
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
2 economics exams last summer ( I pretty much gave up with revision at this time) I did about a page of notes for both and came out with 82+87 ums
Use Err Name
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Year 11 - Was originally down to end year 11 with 9 gcse's. Decided to sign up for Additional Maths, which was crazy considering I was terrible at maths (only scraped an A in core after a lot of hard work). Never learnt anything for additional maths until the day before (entire day free). Learnt from the two past papers that were available and ended up with a C. Pretty proud of it considering I hadn't been taught it and was predicted to only achieve a C in core maths.

Year 12 - Zero prep for History 1, night before revision, ended up with a B. Having to resit that now because I'm aiming for an overall A but I thought that was a decent result considering my lack of prep.
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by upthegunners)
but you obviously worked hard all year and kept up to date with all your work so you really have done a lot

I did nothing, I mean nothing, for my GCSEs and came out with 5A*3A and 3B.
You sure about that?

Geography, I do nothing... Business too! And French... English... And statistics... And RE+Welsh oh biology as well

I literally have empty books... :lol:
BingTaoBing
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It was Monday. The exam was the next day at 13.00 hours. It was May and the weather was hot.

I thought "I'm going to lie in the sun and think about being a snake." I ate some food. I watched some T.V. I went on facebook and stalked people. The behaviour of an expert in procrastination.

I woke up on Tuesday morning. There was an email. "You have an exam clash: Statistics and Spanish. Please come to the exam office immediately."

Well, "immediately" was an impossible demand as I live half an hour away. But I was there in half an hour and 10 minutes.

I've got to take Spanish first. It's too hot. I have to sit in a classroom on my own. In isolation. I take the exam. It lasts 2 hours. I'm thinking "I need some food and water and I'm too hot."

There is no break after Spanish. She whips the paper away and slams the statistics one down in its place. A kid comes in. He has also experienced a clash. He sits down to statistics. I'm so hungry and it's so hot...

The paper lasts for 2 hours. I just don't give a ****. Half an hour in, the boy starts to cry. He screams "I can't ****ing do this! I don't ****ing understand it!" and he proceeds to rip up the paper and eat little bits of it. The adjudicator edges towards him...she says..."Calm down, I'm not going to touch you in case you get violent..."

Anyway, came out of the exam with a headache after 4 hours of being in that tiny room.

I got 100% in the Spanish and 90% in the statistics. Sometimes things just go well my friends. Sometimes they don't. In my other exams I got a mixture of Cs and Bs...so now I don't revise...I just pretend to be a snake and wait to see what the dawn brings....

n.b. If it all goes tits up, you can just start to eat the paper like our stats buddy.
upthegunners
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ninjasrule)
Not me, but my dad:
He went to do engineering at uni straight from doing O-levels (GCSEs), for the first year he slacked off while studying physics - he didn't even turn up to any lectures apart from probably one or two at the beginning. The day before his exam, the professor called him in and asked if he wanted to redo his year... my dad said no. He got some notes off the professor who said he was going to fail miserably. The remaining notes he got off a friend who was in the same class and my dad did some major cramming. He turned out to be the only one to get 100%
yea, the sweet smell of bull**** is overwhelming
FranticMind
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Latebloomer93)
You dont believe it because you haven't seen or experienced something that like before but that doesnt make it a lie. It happened.And it was paaaaaainful!!!

I said almost 40 and I remember sleeeping around 3/4 hours per day with very little time away from my desk. Doesnt even matter because I dont recommend it to anyone
I know the feeling. It is a common occurance when you get to our level!
hahaian
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My GCSE German oral (the presentation) - we were supposed to have all of Easter to practise for it, but I went on holiday to China and forgot my things So when I returned I had literally two days to learn off by heart 400 words of German, AND 800 words of English Shakespeare essay... I learnt the essay first, which left me a single evening to learn off by heart, to a point where I could recite it at the same speed as normal talking, 400 words in a different language!

After an entire evening of panic, I did it at 9.35am the next day, and got 20/20
Forget that
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
gcse rs- looked over my friends book when we were putting bags into lockers to know what the topics the questions were on.
( I swear anyone can get a good grade in the subject ANYONE) My only A*, the irony.

As politics, left one week to learn half the course. 98 ums. (Well, they said they wanted recent examples. Doesn't get more recent than the day of the test haha)
manchesterunited15
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lilGem)
2 economics exams last summer ( I pretty much gave up with revision at this time) I did about a page of notes for both and came out with 82+87 ums
Sounds like you can help me then
I have precisely 20 hours until an AS economics exam(national and international economy) what did you have in your notes? just a basic summary or what? and how did you manage 18 markers, please help
Ninjasrule
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by upthegunners)
yea, the sweet smell of bull**** is overwhelming
It's actually all true - it was only foundation physics in South Africa which over here I suppose is equivalent to A-levels. My dad's a very intelligent man when it comes to academics.
lilGem
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by manchesterunited15)
Sounds like you can help me then
I have precisely 20 hours until an AS economics exam(national and international economy) what did you have in your notes? just a basic summary or what? and how did you manage 18 markers, please help
I'm on AQA so I couldn't tell you about them sorry

It was just a small summary of a topic I struggled with for econ3 and econ4 just a quick summary of model essay answers
youngboothz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I really hate myself for this.

Towards the end of 11, leading up to the exams, we had some biology coursework to write up in two lessons. I had done no research at all, and so obviously didn't have a clue what to write. In the first lesson I sat there like a melon and did nothing, and did the same in the second one. At the end of the second lesson I bundled up all of my wasted paper and a few pages of a friend's internet research into the folder we had to give in, and gave it to sir.

The next lesson came, and everyone was excited for their results. They were chatting and fidgeting with big smiles on their faces, while I had my head buried into my desk. Anyway, the teacher started to read the results, and it came to my name. I can't remember the mark he read out, but it was in the twenties. I looked up, confused. Turns out I'd been given an A* mark for work that I didn't even attempt.

Sweet.

Then the exams came, and I'd done no work pretty much the whole year for physics, chemistry or biology (chemistry was my worst subject). With two weeks to go, I spent about a week on biology, four days on chemistry and a weekend on physics, skim reading the whole book. Ended up walking away with an A in chemistry, an A in physics, a B in biology, and a huge feeling of self-hatred knowing that I probably didn't deserve any grades at all.

Sorry everyone, I'm 'one of those' who fluked their way through. Apologies
Ultimate1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I really do think you can be successful while cramming.

Think about it; people who start 2 months early won't be revising 5/6 hours a day, they'll probably do an hours, 2 hours max per module. That's roughly 90 hours say, if you average out the amount everyday and when you start. Now in those 90 hours they'll more than likely do more than enough for the exam and will be near mastering their module.

So if you cram 12 hours per day for even only 3/4 days that's enough imo.

Not that I recommend. I'm in my second year of uni and am having to cram for the first time in my life and the feeling is very bad, I'd much rather prefer starting 2 months before and relaxing as well as revising. I've always done this before and prefer it much better.
arkhamz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
for my PSYA1 and PSYA2 (pysychology unit 1 and 2) exams I'd typed up my essay plans way back in november. Each exam was spread out by 1 week. memorised my essay plans on the weekend before each exam and got an A in each. Now for my psya3 and psya4 exams I've decided to spend more time revising since these are more important and I doubt I'll be as lucky as before.
Kvothe the Arcane
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got a D for my F321 mock. I didn't revise over Christmas. A few days before the exam, I began to study and came out with an A, albeit a low one.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Biology AS unit one: did literally all the past papers in two days, sat the exam, highest ums in the year. Wuuuut . Luckily our exam was pretty easy tho

This time I've learnt to start revising early

Posted from TSR Mobile
hothedgehog
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mr. Tizzy XII)
Don't underestimate university students when they take their exams - we have our 6 final year exams over 8 days (4 down, 2 to go at the moment), and 4 of those exams were on consecutive days - my friend got 3 hours sleep each night to maximise last minute revision.... I don't know how clever that is (I guess we'll see come results day) but they managed to do it.

I've learned from last year - finished my dissertation early and started full-time revision 2 months before exams :colondollar:

I can only hope it pays off! :crossedf:
Generally if you sleep well for a period and then suddenly go to having very little sleep for a few days you do ok because overall you were in a good position before-hand (with the point that your body fixes itself when it sleeps). If you were running on say 6hrs a night for a good period before going down to 3 or 4 you'd not do so well.

Uni students can pretty much do anything. Part of my job requires me to work long shifts at strange times and I can do it so well because at uni I had a seriously screwed up sleep pattern so it's just kinda carried on the norm.
Latebloomer93
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by hothedgehog)
Generally if you sleep well for a period and then suddenly go to having very little sleep for a few days you do ok because overall you were in a good position before-hand (with the point that your body fixes itself when it sleeps). If you were running on say 6hrs a night for a good period before going down to 3 or 4 you'd not do so well.

Uni students can pretty much do anything. Part of my job requires me to work long shifts at strange times and I can do it so well because at uni I had a seriously screwed up sleep pattern so it's just kinda carried on the norm.
Not necessarily. I mean I get by on 6hours sleep for years now and I feel perfectly fresh and alert. 5 hours is manageable but I get tired a little in the afternoon. 4 hours is getting difficult but it's not completely destructive for someone like me
CharlHesky
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've always been a bit of a crammer, my GCSE revision consisted of cramming the day before and I ended up with 5A's 5B's and 2C's and history always has a funny way of repeating itself. For my AS January modules I revised Politics the morning of the exam and had a C (Re-sitting) but I was quite pleased with my HY1 History mark. I struggled with the course and the change from GCSE to A Level but stupidly and because I'm just so lazy I started revising the day before the exam - I just looked at questions I'd done in the class and by luck alone 2 out of 3 questions in the exam were the questions I'd revised! Ended up with 94 UMS which was 2 raw and 2 ums marks from an A. Not bad considering. Now I'm sitting here all stressed because I'm not even close to being ready for my exams starting on Wednesday. Revising weeks in advance is always best though - Started revising for Psychology PY1 three weeks before the exam and got an A which is a miracle because our teacher is rubbish and only 5 people from our class of 20 passed (I was the only A, the others all had C's that shows the teaching quality)
username749877
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Admittedly it was Standard Grade, but I had put in no effort all year. I failed the practice prelim, less than 50%. Night before the real prelim, about 7pm, sat down and on a few pieces of paper wrote down, in summary, pretty much the whole course. I stayed up all night revising what I had written down.
Prelim Result: 94%

I always leave things until the last minute! Cramming is my talent. :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (449)
18.96%
The paper was reasonable (1105)
46.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (520)
21.96%
It was TERRIBLE (294)
12.42%

Watched Threads