The Student Room Group

Opinions on knuckle tattoos...

Whether you are young and spontaneous or slightly older and having a crisis, would you ever have your knuckles tattooed.

Personally I would:
VALH ALLA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nope, as much as I am an advocate for tatts, knuckle tatts put you in a position where there and some jobs that may not let you work, for instance I want to be a teacher. I doubt they would employ someone with 'Thug Life' on his knuckles :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Personally I wouldn't, no. But I wouldn't judge someone else for having it done :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I think times are changing. I too want to become a teacher, I have worked in schools and seen members of staff with hand tattoos, stretched ears etc. Perhaps our society is changing its norms and values...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't personally but I would never deprive someone else of the choice. Having tattoos on my arms and hands could make getting a job in the future hard especially if I end up in China.
I think it's a big commitment, especially as it is most likely to be letters (only 8 too!) and words can't convey as much meaning as a picture.
Reply 6
I wouldn't mind a tattoo pretty much anywhere else, but on knuckles, they just seem so much more..exposed.
Reply 7
They look tacky. Like you're trying to look like a biker/drugdealer or gangster. That or you are a biker/drugdealer or gangster. Which is also off putting. Or you look like you're having a crisis
At this point in time I need my hands for writing notes on (I'm forgetful) so tattoing my hands isn't really on the cards, it's perfectly possible I might do at sometime in the future though.
Reply 9
Laughable.
Reply 10
I have seen some finger tattoos that I thought looked really nice and not at all tacky - but they weren't under the knuckle, they were above it (closer to the nail). Also it wasn't multiple tattoos on four fingers spelling out a word or anything, it was just on the one finger.

I think it could compromise you in the future with employers, but as someone's already mentioned I think those rules could become more lax and so if you get something small, not so flashy and appropriate ie. no swear words, then you could get away with it?

I personally wouldn't risk it.
a mate of mine is covered in ink and has "live life" on his knuckles, a nice sentiment but it might as well be drawn on with a ballpoint pen. As it is, it's permanent and there's no hiding it should he ever need to.
(edited 10 years ago)
No.
Reply 13
can be really awkward when going for job interviews - first impressions and all that....
Reply 14
I don't like them. I'm a fan of tattoo's as I have two of my own but I just don't like the appearance of knuckle tattoo's.
Reply 15
I love tattoos, and I like finger tattoos. I don't like knuckle tatts as much as some others but I wouldn't care or be offended by them. They do look pretty good on some to be fair.
Original post by Rybee
Laughable.

That's 9 letters not 8 :wink: Jokes.
Yeah I definitely would if I ever got full sleeves (I have two thigh tattoos and a half sleeve) - I think it looks a little silly when you have bare arms, never thought about what I'd get though.
Unless you're planning to become a tattoo artist or maybe work in an alternative bar I would say hell no! Despite what people will say you're very unlikely to get a job in an office or retail for example...but if that doesn't matter then each to their own I guess.
Look dirty and irresponsible yuck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest