The Student Room Group

2 BSc or a Masters?...

Sorry if this is the wrong section...

Im currently doing a Business information technology course at a what is seen as a poor university (in the 100s), Im in the second year and at the moment heading for a first.

I constantly get a feeling that i should have gone for computer science at a better university instead due to me having AAAC but majority of good universities are now full therefore meaning having to wait till 2014 to start.

My main concern is i cant really do many masters with my current degree even if i get a first as im wanting to do something relating to computing where majority of universities ask for a BSc in computer science.

So overall, i can't really restart my BSc as it'll be a lot of money lost and nothing to do till 2014 BUT at the same time finishing it wont help pursue my MSc, would you guys think in my case i should opt for doing a BSc in computer science later on taking into account i would have to fund it myself or simply drop out and wait?...
Original post by Kingo
Sorry if this is the wrong section...

Im currently doing a Business information technology course at a what is seen as a poor university (in the 100s), Im in the second year and at the moment heading for a first.

I constantly get a feeling that i should have gone for computer science at a better university instead due to me having AAAC but majority of good universities are now full therefore meaning having to wait till 2014 to start.

My main concern is i cant really do many masters with my current degree even if i get a first as im wanting to do something relating to computing where majority of universities ask for a BSc in computer science.

So overall, i can't really restart my BSc as it'll be a lot of money lost and nothing to do till 2014 BUT at the same time finishing it wont help pursue my MSc, would you guys think in my case i should opt for doing a BSc in computer science later on taking into account i would have to fund it myself or simply drop out and wait?...

A second BSc in the UK? => I would drop out now. (Because of the fees.)

BUT: You should really look, what you want to achieve and if you really need a BSc in Computer Science for it. Concerning Masters: Have you emailed the Admissions? It might depend on your modules wether you will be accepted or not?

I would also think about what you want to do AFTER your Master. Maybe there are jobs fulfilling you, without "loosing" time and money.
Reply 2
The fees are what are making it such a difficult decision, id like to work in an IT area but more so the development side of things, i have contacted Kings College to see what computing Msc they'd allow me into with a first in BIT, they do have a Computing, IT Law & Management one which within the entry requirements says

'2:1 honours British BSc degree, or equivalent, in computer science/IT. We may lower entry qualifications for students with substantial relevant work experience. Note that English Language requirements are stricter for this programme'

Therefore i may just stick it out with my current degree depending on the reply i receive.
Reply 3
Are there no graduate diplomas you can do in your field that you can use as a stepping stone to a masters?
Reply 4
Original post by sj27
Are there no graduate diplomas you can do in your field that you can use as a stepping stone to a masters?

UCL offer Computer Science MSc with entry of: A minimum of a second-class UK Bachelor's degree, in subjects other than computing or information technology, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard. A level Mathematics or its equivalent is also a requirement.

They mention other than IT although ive emailed to see whether they would allow my degree due to the business aspect making it less IT related, the problem being i haven't got an A level in maths.

Now question here is would trying to achieve an A level in maths be a good route for a masters instead of a PgDip or something like INTO as these cost a considerable amount more... unless you know something i dont?
Reply 5
Original post by Kingo
UCL offer Computer Science MSc with entry of: A minimum of a second-class UK Bachelor's degree, in subjects other than computing or information technology, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard. A level Mathematics or its equivalent is also a requirement.

They mention other than IT although ive emailed to see whether they would allow my degree due to the business aspect making it less IT related, the problem being i haven't got an A level in maths.

Now question here is would trying to achieve an A level in maths be a good route for a masters instead of a PgDip or something like INTO as these cost a considerable amount more... unless you know something i dont?

I suggested the PGDip (actually I suggested a diploma for graduates, which is more a conversion year, but same kinda thing I guess) as an alternative to doing a whole second bachelors, I wasn't comparing it to doing an A level...
Reply 6
Original post by sj27
I suggested the PGDip (actually I suggested a diploma for graduates, which is more a conversion year, but same kinda thing I guess) as an alternative to doing a whole second bachelors, I wasn't comparing it to doing an A level...

no no, i know you didnt im just saying would i be better off doing the a level and then applying for computer science at UCL?

Unless you know of any good diplomas for graduates that would allow the conversion that arent too pricey, thanks for your help btw.
Reply 7
This isn't my field but from a google search, is this an option? You'd need to be happy doing it in your own though - http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/courses/diploma-graduates/lse/diploma-graduates-information-systems
Reply 8
Original post by sj27
This isn't my field but from a google search, is this an option? You'd need to be happy doing it in your own though - http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/courses/diploma-graduates/lse/diploma-graduates-information-systems

This is something that could've worked if it was in Computer science and not information systems, thanks either way. I think i'll try getting the A level in maths and go for UCL.
Original post by Kingo
no no, i know you didnt im just saying would i be better off doing the a level and then applying for computer science at UCL?

Unless you know of any good diplomas for graduates that would allow the conversion that arent too pricey, thanks for your help btw.

Well, how many Math in your degree? Actually I don't think you can compare the decision of doing an A Level to the decision between a PgDip and a Master. The entry requirements of both at the same Uni are mose likely to be as selective considering certain A Levels as Preequisite, as their level is both over A Levels...generally. Of course they might be Universities not mentioning A Levels and simply look at your Bachelor degree.

Actually I wonder a little bit, how you can be so determined to change to Computer Science without having Math at A Level, as to my experience Computer Science at a distinct University has a lot of Math in it. (Otherwise you might have other strong scientific A Levels and had to cover some Math modules in your current course, so don't take it too personally.)

At the end, Math A Level shouldn't be too hard, as a person used to the velocity at University and is worth the extra effort, if it helps you to get accepted to your dream course.
Reply 10
Hi,

I meant to reply to this, and it took some time to get back to it.

As an experienced admissions tutor (inc. at UCL), I'd recommend you make the best of your current degree, then take an appropriate MSc. It may well be, in fact, that there are better fits for you at the MSc level than UCL - as the critical thing at that stage will be the difference you want to make to your skillset. (and I mean getting an MSc from a good establishment - it's just UCL is a bit over-specific compared to the alternatives).

One key question I don't know the answer to, which is the most important thing to know in order to plan ahead, is where do you want to end up in industry (or research)? Given that, I can give a more focussed recommendation.

All the best,

George
Reply 11
Hello George,

This threads a tad old and during this time I've decided to opt for the generalisation masters in computer science at UCL, as I personally believe that this paired up with a BIT degree covers a lot of topics within the business computing sector and opens up more paths or possible jobs as a majority are wanting a computer science background or knowledge in languages such as java which we haven't covered in my degree (PHP, .net, html&css only).

Your view on this would be appreciated though!

* they are also wanting a 2:2 minimum which I've easily covered so entry shouldn't be too difficult.

*Just emailed Imperial College london to see whether they would allow me into their masters programme with a degree in such subject - hopefully it'll be good news!
***They replied and they said im eligible to apply for the course! - I reckon i will apply for both UCL and Imperial with the latter being the favourable choice.

Thanks for all the replies and help :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending