Turn on thread page Beta

AQA Additional Biology 2: 14th May 2013 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, I haven't been able to find a thread for this yet, but do any of you have any ideas of what the 6 marker will be?

ReputationRep:
    Although I'm not resitting B2, it was a surprising six marker in the January paper for me. I highly doubt it'll be the structure of a plant leaf cell again. Some advice though, do revise all the topics thoroughly and don't always expect the six marker to be something as straightforward as speciation and extinction.

ReputationRep:
    if you could take a guess, what do you think it would be?

ReputationRep:
    retaking this with B3 .. please help on exam technique. As I know most of the facts but don't know how to answer specific questions

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Especially questions like this

Read the information about stem cells.
    Stem cells are used to treat some human diseases.
    Stem cells can be collected from early embryos. These stem cells have not begun to
    differentiate, so they could be used to produce any kind of cell, tissue or organ. The
    use of embryonic stem cells to treat human diseases is new and, for some diseases,
    trials on patients are happening now.
    Stem cells can also be collected from adult bone marrow. The operation is simple but
    may be painful. Stem cells in bone marrow mainly differentiate to form blood cells.
    These stem cells have been used successfully for many years to treat some kinds of
    blood disease. Recently there have been trials of other types of stem cell from bone
    marrow. These stem cells are used to treat diseases such as heart disease.
    Evaluate the use of stem cells from embryos or from adult bone marrow for treating
    human diseases.
    You should give a conclusion to your evaluation.

ReputationRep:
    ummmmm
    i have no idea either

which past paper did you get this from?

ReputationRep:
    For those sort of questions I would always give pros and cons (3 of each will do) for the treatment (but keeping prose!) and finish with a summary.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gloria0816)
    Especially questions like this

Read the information about stem cells.
    Stem cells are used to treat some human diseases.
    Stem cells can be collected from early embryos. These stem cells have not begun to
    differentiate, so they could be used to produce any kind of cell, tissue or organ. The
    use of embryonic stem cells to treat human diseases is new and, for some diseases,
    trials on patients are happening now.
    Stem cells can also be collected from adult bone marrow. The operation is simple but
    may be painful. Stem cells in bone marrow mainly differentiate to form blood cells.
    These stem cells have been used successfully for many years to treat some kinds of
    blood disease. Recently there have been trials of other types of stem cell from bone
    marrow. These stem cells are used to treat diseases such as heart disease.
    Evaluate the use of stem cells from embryos or from adult bone marrow for treating
    human diseases.
    You should give a conclusion to your evaluation.
    For these questions are you supposed to use only the information you are given to give the pros and cons or do they expect you to have an insight on the matter?

ReputationRep:
    How did it go for u lot??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harshmgtr)
    HATED the question on the plants/chromosome! reallyyy confused me

ReputationRep:
    what do you think the grade boundaries for the paper will be?

ReputationRep:
    its was good how was it for u

ReputationRep:
    yeah I thought it was a reasonably easy paper but the chromosome thing didn't make annnnny sense to me! we've never been taught it and it doesn't even say the answer in the textbook!

ReputationRep:
    yes I think the hardest question on the paper had to be Q8 asking about chromosomes and meiosis and mitosis, but it was still doable for me. For revision on the other sciences (chemistry,physics) check out this website www.my-gcsescience.com/ he his honestly so useful and covers everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanyalB)
    its was good how was it for u
    Ohh thats great! I cocked up the first question, didnt read it properly, but the rest was good apart from the chromosomes thingy.

ReputationRep:
    Usually it is 35 to get an A and for and for an A star it is 42... IJust hope it doesn't change

ReputationRep:
    Ohh thats great! I cocked up the first question, didnt read it properly, but the rest was good apart from the chromosomes thingy.
    I hated the chromosomes question!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I thought the 6 marker on enzymes was great. Some other questions, like the one about HEXA enzyme were a little tricky though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raeesah123)
    I hated the chromosomes question!
    I got confused by that too, but I put in the answers of 4 and 8 for species A and species B respectively - apparently, that should be correct according to my biology teacher. Quite a few people got confused by the boxes and randomly ticked a box ^.^

I found the HEXA gene questions the hardest, actually. The six mark question was fairly easy.

It'd be good if someone made an unofficial mark scheme for B2 and B3 :P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 4, 2013
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.