Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried starting my GCSE and i keep changing my mind about my options but i was wondering from experience what subjects have heavy coursework? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Technology subjects (food tech, product design, graphic design etc) but don't let coursework put you off doing a subject, it's your best way to get a great grade overall!!

I got a A* in my media studies coursework which was worth 60% of overall grade and only got a C in the exam worth 40%, and I managed to get an A overall

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of coursework in art, too, but it's fine as long as you keep on top of it. But depending on the subject and the type of worker you are, coursework can bump up your grades a lot. Like the person above I got an A* in my media coursework but only a C in my mock exam, but it's good to know that I have the safety net of my coursework grade if I don't do so great in the actual exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't take textiles wastes so much time when you could be revising for science or something
    art really easy when I started my predicted grade was a d now it's gone up to a/a*

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking art however i know that has alot of coursework but i do enjoy it, do humanities or languages have alot of coursework?

ReputationRep:
    Languages for us we had four controlled assessments, two in speaking and two in writing. They are time consuming but they're not that bad and once they're over it's just learning the language for the exams. For us the controlled assessments were done well before exam season so it wasn't like we had loads of work to do.
    Geography we've had two controlled assessments which were so annoying to do, I didn't really enjoy that coursework much, but together it's only 25% of the full GCSE, the rest is on three exams. (OCR board)
    Art is A LOT of coursework, and is the most time consuming of the options I took, I'd say. It's a lot of work but if you enjoy spending your spare time working in your book or doing art however you like in your spare time then you can be very good at it.
    English I thought also had quite a lot of coursework, well the language part has had several controlled assessments, but you have to do English, and you could enjoy essays :P.
    Subjects that didn't have coursework that I took, or ones that have little coursework are the maths and sciences. Very little in the sciences, and the maths has none.

ReputationRep:
    languages I did French we had four controlled assesments

ReputationRep:
    are controlled assessments done in class?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popstudent78)
    are controlled assessments done in class?
    Yes. Basically the whole point of a controlled assessment is writing a prepared essay in class with your teacher present. You do all the research at home and write a practice essay and write your notes from the practice then rewrite and try to improve your original essay when you actually do the controlled assessment.
    The reason they do it like this is because they want you to do the best you can without plagiarising something else - although it doesn't really make any sense since you could theoretically do it when you write your practice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popstudent78)
    I'm worried starting my GCSE and i keep changing my mind about my options but i was wondering from experience what subjects have heavy coursework? Thanks
    It often depends on the exam board too - I have friends in other schools doing the same GCSEs on different boards and they have no coursework whereas I have loads and vice versa.
    Art and textiles
    Music
    History is about a 30% on my board
    Maths has some
    Drama has loads
    Home economics
    Languages
    Design and technology
    PE

Basically all the arts have a lot of coursework.

ReputationRep:
    ICT has loaaaaads

ReputationRep:
    Electronics has loads, but you can quite easily get 50/50 like I did and bag 25% of the overall grade.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing art and graphics at the moment, and there's quite a lot of coursework for those subjects. The graphics controlled assessment is quite big, and I think mine was about 80-90 slides on PowerPoint with my pop-up book as well, but it's 60% of your grade, so it's nice to know that you have something to fall back on.
    You get quite a lot for art, and it's nice to do. But if you're thinking about doing it, always make sure you're on top of the coursework or even slightly ahead so you don't have a load to do before the deadline..I've currently got about 5-6 sheets to do in around 4 days with exams to revise for inbetween -.-

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.