Turn on thread page Beta

There should be more focus on the environment. watch

ReputationRep:
    To me, it seems like this ignorance on environmental issues is getting out of hand. I think politicians need to wake up to the reality that inaction will only lead to a worse future for us (students) and our kids, who will be living with more droughts and storms. We need politicians who is tough enough to stand up for renewables and oppose this government's obsession with fracking.

Also, I think there should be more care for the natural environment - I'm not suggesting going overboard, but maybe not paving over our countryside; and having more awareness about the impact of hunting, that kind of thing.

Who's with me?

ReputationRep:
    You are aware this is the greenest government in history right? They set targets so high in that regard they literally are damaging the economy.

ReputationRep:
    You want a country with major environmental issues, go to China.

ReputationRep:
    Why bother, any good we do negates anything the UK could do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wildrover)
    Why bother, any good we do negates anything the UK could do.
    What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by An Ignorant Duck)
    What do you mean?
    I mean that as a nation we contribute very little impact on the enviroment as a whole and any emissions we cut back on are a drop in the ocean compared to the amount of pollution caused by the likes of India and China.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wildrover)
    I mean that as a nation we contribute very little impact on the enviroment as a whole and any emissions we cut back on are a drop in the ocean compared to the amount of pollution caused by the likes of India and China.
    How can we expect China/India to do anything about their environment/pollution issues if we don't do anything about ours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan-James)
    You want a country with major environmental issues, go to China.
    Per person China is not so bad you should be worrying about the America.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahbaz)
    Per person China is not so bad you should be worrying about the America.
    Its not so bad? Have you seen the population of China?????

ReputationRep:
    Nice in principle, but unless other countries join in then we'll just lose out economically.

ReputationRep:
    The population of china dont have huge emissions though, it's largely their growing industry, meaning that any environmental stuff they do will severely harm their industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    How can we expect China/India to do anything about their environment/pollution issues if we don't do anything about ours?

We already do huge amounts. We've stopped pumping raw sewage into the sea, I haven't experienced smog since the early 80s as a young kid, we don't build on green belt, we recycle.

We also seem to have got the environmental lobby holding themselves back by trying to stop nuclear power generation. The only current firm if cheap, reliable carbon neutral power. They're happy to oppose by passes and new roads so rather than cars getting from A to B quickly they're quite happy with cars stuck in traffic jams betting out crap into the air in higher levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Duck)
    The population of china dont have huge emissions though, it's largely their growing industry, meaning that any environmental stuff they do will severely harm their industry.

And as their industry develops, their wages will rise and they'll be after that wonderful 8mpg Humvee.

Our impact on the economy is tiny. I'd much rather we do it in a slow sustainable way, not just splash the cash on poorly thought out techniques that impact on the economy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    We already do huge amounts. We've stopped pumping raw sewage into the sea, I haven't experienced smog since the early 80s as a young kid, we don't build on green belt, we recycle.

We also seem to have got the environmental lobby holding themselves back by trying to stop nuclear power generation. The only current firm if cheap, reliable carbon neutral power. They're happy to oppose by passes and new roads so rather than cars getting from A to B quickly they're quite happy with cars stuck in traffic jams betting out crap into the air in higher levels.
    Although we are more environmentally responisble than other countries, I would dispute some points made there. Notably:
    - We are building on the green belt.
    - The majority of people, from my perspective, care about the 'cheapest' form of energy, not the greenest - people would probably be OK with nuclear power plants.

I travel to Germany quite a lot in the school holidays, and I think they are fantastic with environmental issues. Almost every home has solar panels on the roof, and there are larger expanses of forests and open spaces. I acknowledge, however, that the environment conflicts with the economy.

ReputationRep:
    We need more Nuclear Power stations

ReputationRep:
    Look up energy usage per person china is one of the lowest....

ReputationRep:
    Although we are more environmentally responisble than other countries, I would dispute some points made there. Notably:
    - We are building on the green belt.
    - The majority of people, from my perspective, care about the 'cheapest' form of energy, not the greenest - people would probably be OK with nuclear power plants.

I travel to Germany quite a lot in the school holidays, and I think they are fantastic with environmental issues. Almost every home has solar panels on the roof, and there are larger expanses of forests and open spaces. I acknowledge, however, that the environment conflicts with the economy.
    The great irony of German energy policy is that their mostly unplanned and not particularly well thought out closure of nuclear power plants forced them to import a lot of energy.

Mostly from French nuclear power stations.

It also increased CO2 emissions as coal/oil/gas took up some of the strain.

*slowhandclapping*

ReputationRep:
    To me, it seems like this ignorance on environmental issues is getting out of hand. I think politicians need to wake up to the reality that inaction will only lead to a worse future for us (students) and our kids, who will be living with more droughts and storms. We need politicians who is tough enough to stand up for renewables and oppose this government's obsession with fracking.

Also, I think there should be more care for the natural environment - I'm not suggesting going overboard, but maybe not paving over our countryside; and having more awareness about the impact of hunting, that kind of thing.

Who's with me?
    I couldn't disagree more.

We need a government with the balls to ignore everything the environmentalists have to say in favour of pro-growth policies that are good for humanity.

The environment is of course important, but the Greens/leftists/Cultural Marxists have proven time and again that given the chance they'd prefer to syphon off money into their pet projects and enrich their corporatist chums than do anything remotely useful for the community. The people want cheap, reliable energy. The left want to reduce CO2 at all costs and replace conventional generation with 'renewables', we cannot have both so we need to pick.

You say you care about the countryside - so why then ruin it by carpeting it in expensive, useless, bird-chomping, damaging eco-windmalls, is that any way to treat our green and pleasant land? It doesn't make any sense.

ReputationRep:
    No there shouldn't.

Environmental regulations and taxes are restricting the economy, not to mention the construction of those horrible wind farms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannotbelieveit)
    No there shouldn't.

Environmental regulations and taxes are restricting the economy, not to mention the construction of those horrible wind farms.
    Quite right.

Windfarms aren't supposed to generate electricity: they're symbolic. They symbolise our caring attitude towards the environoment. The more windfarms we have the more compassionate we are, how lovely!

Unfortunately we cannot afford to fund this particular brand of stupidity any longer. I care more about OAP's energy bills than the amount of co2 contained in the atmosphere Sorry.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.