Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My friend and I both applied for English Lit. She's got into Oxford and Nottingham and has been rejected by Durham. I've been rejected by Nottingham and accepted by Durham. How screwed up is that?! (both of us are predicted AAAA)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    My friend and I both applied for English Lit. She's got into Oxford and Nottingham and has been rejected by Durham. I've been rejected by Nottingham and accepted by Durham. How screwed up is that?! (both of us are predicted AAAA)
    Its not screwed up at all, they dont just look at your grades for gods sake.

ReputationRep:
    It's all one big national lottery!
    Congrats on Durham, they have a fantastic sounding course.

ReputationRep:
    The whole system is freakin' weird :rolleyes:

My friend and I both applied for English Lit at the similar universities. She has DoE awards, instruments at high grades, represented the county at sport, does volunteer work etc, while I have... a lot less . We have almost identical GCSE & AS grades and subject combos. She is more confident/ a better conversationalist than I am -- ie would perform better at interview.

I have six offers. She has one.

Only difference is that she goes to a private school and I go to a fairly poor comprehensive.

Weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acid_Rain)
    The whole system is freakin' weird :rolleyes:

My friend and I both applied for English Lit at the similar universities. She has DoE awards, instruments at high grades, represented the county at sport, does volunteer work etc, while I have... a lot less . We have almost identical GCSE & AS grades and subject combos. She is more confident/ a better conversationalist than I am -- ie would perform better at interview.

I have six offers. She has one.

Only difference is that she goes to a private school and I go to a fairly poor comprehensive.

Weird.
    That is a big difference, as long as both your PS and grades were similar i can see why they'd accept you.

ReputationRep:
    congrats on u're offers...but rejecting someone due to private education is utterly unfair...it disgusts me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joka85)
    congrats on u're offers...but rejecting someone due to private education is utterly unfair...it disgusts me
    yep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    yep
    Hmm, ok, i'm privately educated, but I can sort of see what the unis are doing...people from *bad* comprehensives are going to have to be more motivated to achieve those grades. I can't imagine working in a mixed ability environment, or one when the classes are big and the pupils are badly behaved. In fact i swear i'm practically spoon fed.

Apart from maybe in maths actually...my teacher likes making us work everything out from first principles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joka85)
    Oh do be quiet. I'll say what I always say, universities accept students on academic ability, a good performance in a poor school is a better academic achievement than the same performance in a top school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Oh do be quiet. I'll say what I always say, universities accept students on academic ability, a good performance in a poor school is a better academic achievement than the same performance in a top school.
    I don't think they were necessarily disagreeing with what you've said - just saying that some Uni's see "private sch" nd instantly reject them without even reading PS/looking at grades. One's tht do consider the performance of a canditate relative to their education are fair, but one's that don't are not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    I don't think they were necessarily disagreeing with what you've said - just saying that some Uni's see "private sch" nd instantly reject them without even reading PS/looking at grades. One's tht do consider the performance of a canditate relative to their education are fair, but one's that don't are not.
    Fair enough, but clearly in this case they did consider the relative performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    It's wierd like that, I applied for English as well, got into Cambridge and St Andrews, but was rejected by Bristol, Durham and UCL (at one point I was hoping for one out of five!). The entire system is a complete lottery, and I think it is especially bad for arts subjects. A friend of mine got six rejections: crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Hmm, ok, i'm privately educated, but I can sort of see what the unis are doing...people from *bad* comprehensives are going to have to be more motivated to achieve those grades. I can't imagine working in a mixed ability environment, or one when the classes are big and the pupils are badly behaved. In fact i swear i'm practically spoon fed.

Apart from maybe in maths actually...my teacher likes making us work everything out from first principles.
    What a well considered post.

I come from a comprehensive and it's true, I had to battle for my grades, working away while chairs flew over my head and thinks were explained a dozen times (I'm not being rude - it's just frustrating when you know how much you've got to get through in two years).
    I don't agree with unis rejecting people just becuase of their school though - it's ridiculous - but I do understand what they're TRYING to do, and their logic behind it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peapod)
    What a well considered post.

I come from a comprehensive and it's true, I had to battle for my grades, working away while chairs flew over my head and thinks were explained a dozen times (I'm not being rude - it's just frustrating when you know how much you've got to get through in two years).
    I don't agree with unis rejecting people just becuase of their school though - it's ridiculous - but I do understand what they're TRYING to do, and their logic behind it.
    I can see what they're trying to do too. I too had to cope with chairs flyingover my head, being bullied and general misbehaviour from my class as I went to a comp school in Liverpool and am working class. Maybe they though the girl with the private education would have offers already so they choose the ones they think are not going to get as many? I dunno, perhaps unis do view achievement from a comp as higher than from a private school. I think both ways of thinking are warped slightly but they're the only explanations I can think of!! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'm now at Oxford, got straight As at A level, 11 A*s at GCSE and am predicted a first class in my law exams. I too got rejected from Bristol. I put this down to two reasons. One, they are a very small Uni and don't have many places. Two, they saw that my application arrived early and was very good so they assumed I'd get offers from Oxbridge/top unis and therefore decided to reject me and use their limited number of offers to people who are much more likely to accept them. I don't blame them , it seems perfectly reasonable to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winorloose)
    It's wierd like that, I applied for English as well, got into Cambridge and St Andrews, but was rejected by Bristol, Durham and UCL (at one point I was hoping for one out of five!). The entire system is a complete lottery, and I think it is especially bad for arts subjects. A friend of mine got six rejections: crazy.
    perhaos they are looking for different qualities in an applicant..but why would they.

Its is a total farce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missmoneypenny)
    perhaos they are looking for different qualities in an applicant..but why would they.

Its is a total farce.
    There seems to be millions applying for HE this year, and its only gonna get worse if Tony has his way making 50% of school leavers go to uni. one question where they all gonna go? build new unis? *Ahem ahem*!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladyluck)
    There seems to be millions applying for HE this year, and its only gonna get worse if Tony has his way making 50% of school leavers go to uni. one question where they all gonna go? build new unis? *Ahem ahem*!
    If its bad this year....can you imagine how hard it will be to get a place if you're applying next year as well!!!! Everyone will be rushing to get in before the top-up fees take effect!!!! Damn Tony Blair and his Scottish MPs!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! :mad:

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genevieve)
    I can see what they're trying to do too. I too had to cope with chairs flyingover my head, being bullied and general misbehaviour:
    Haha... i know the feeling. If your secondary education is like that it messes up your GCSE's, cus they are compulsory so all the disruptive people are in your classes....

this can set a precedent for underachieving even into you Alevel year. People i know who are at private schools did supervised HW following their tea before being allowed to go home at 8 and prep for lessons, comprehensive schools never have this structure, they just try to get everyone through the system with barely adequate quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    If its bad this year....can you imagine how hard it will be to get a place if you're applying next year as well!!!! Everyone will be rushing to get in before the top-up fees take effect!!!! Damn Tony Blair and his Scottish MPs!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! :mad:

G
    Yeah they have the compulsory law test to take as well at all the top 20 or so unis!

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.