Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladyluck)
    Yeah they have the compulsory law test to take as well at all the top 20 or so unis!
    Oh...the LNAT....i'm so glad that i'm not in the year below!!!

The test though is just critical thinking....and i did a crit thinking AS....so i might have done reasonably well in it....but i'm still glad i miss it!!!

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Oh...the LNAT....i'm so glad that i'm not in the year below!!!

The test though is just critical thinking....and i did a crit thinking AS....so i might have done reasonably well in it....but i'm still glad i miss it!!!

G
    This is going to make me sound really ignorant, but what does critical thinking entail? without wishing to sound *classist* is it a private school type subject like classical civilisation?

ReputationRep:
    This is going to make me sound really ignorant, but what does critical thinking entail? without wishing to sound *classist* is it a private school type subject like classical civilisation?
    ...not that i mean it is a history subject...lol

ReputationRep:
    Noooo!!!! It's nothing like that....and i don't go to a private skl...just in case you thought i did!! It's just a kind of key skills thing...which teaches you how to analyse and structure arguments...which will enable you to see flaws and pick apart other people's arguments....or to strengthen your own arguments. I found it to be really interesting actually!! I'd also imagine that for law...it could be very useful!! Hence the new LNATs.

If you want...i could try and dig up a link for some sample questions...

G

ReputationRep:
    ...not that i mean it is a history subject...lol

Critical Thinking is like everything else in British education. Because it's new(ish) everybody sneers at it. Five years later everybody's doing it (look at political correctness and how that has taken over the country).

The A Level is basically a mix of applied philosophy (without formal logic or Aristotle and co) and old-fashioned liberal studies. It's actually quite tough- it tests your ability to spot fallacious arguments, but is examined in a very prescriptive manner. It's definitely not Creative Thinking. Don't underestimate what is involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
    Critical Thinking is like everything else in British education. Because it's new(ish) everybody sneers at it. Five years later everybody's doing it (look at political correctness and how that has taken over the country).

The A Level is basically a mix of applied philosophy (without formal logic or Aristotle and co) and old-fashioned liberal studies. It's actually quite tough- it tests your ability to spot fallacious arguments, but is examined in a very prescriptive manner. It's definitely not Creative Thinking. Don't underestimate what is involved.
    THANK YOU!!!! Most people put down crit thinking as the general studies sister subject...and dismiss it as completely and utterly useless!!! That just pisses me off....cos it's actually a good A level to do (though i've only done AS)

Have you done the A2 then???

G

ReputationRep:
    Noooo!!!! It's nothing like that....and i don't go to a private skl...

G
    to the private school thing-- mmm.... i wasn't sure! lol

.....& Yeah links would be interesting, thanx.

ReputationRep:
    to the provate school thing-- mmm.... i wasn't sure! lol

.....& Yeah links would be interesting, thanx.
    No probs....what about you....private or not?? I'm reckoning.....not!!!

http://www.sirbernardlovell.s-gloucs.sch.uk/home2.htm is the link....but i'll have to give you directions to follow...

1) On the left side...click on post-16 centre
    2) On the sub-menu...click on Learning Resources
    3) Click on Key Skills
    4) The Crit thinking stuff is on the far right side....try the multiple choice ones...they're good.

I think for the first one i got something like 14/15...

Enjoy....and Good luck!!!

G

ReputationRep:

http://www.sirbernardlovell.s-gloucs.sch.uk/home2.htm is the link....but i'll have to give you directions to follow...

1) On the left side...click on post-16 centre
    2) On the sub-menu...click on Learning Resources
    3) Click on Key Skills
    4) The Crit thinking stuff is on the far right side....try the multiple choice ones...they're good.

I think for the first one i got something like 14/15...

Enjoy....and Good luck!!!

G
    Just going to have a look now...

Why *Not* out of interest?!

ReputationRep:
    Just going to have a look now...

Why *Not* out of interest?!
    Lol....hmmm....i'm not really sure actually....i just seem to get the feeling that you're not...but then again...maybe you are............... aaaaaaahhhh!! It's too much for my poor little brain!!!

So....can you tell me now???? Pleeeeeeeeaaaassssseeee???????

G

ReputationRep:

The questions are just like the syle of the Nottingham law questions only instead of being about winning elections they were legal principles. Some of the answers on there are quite simple to deduce if you take your time, whereas on the law paper it could have been a number of options! :rolleyes:

Was you exam paper set out like that or was it essay based where you had to do some revision of theories / whatever?

ReputationRep:
    The questions are just like the syle of the Nottingham law questions only instead of being about winning elections they were legal principles. Some of the answers on there are quiet simple to deduce if you take your time, whereas on the law paper it could have been a number of options! :rolleyes:

Was you exam paper set out like that or was it essay based where you had to do some revision of theories / whatever?
    It was like that....but i think that was a easier paper than the one i sat. The LNAT ones are the same kind of questions...but with slightly harder options to choose from...i agree.

The multiple choice is only the first part of the first paper if i remember rightly......the rest of the paper 1 involves a long passage...and then some short questions about it but not multiple choice....like: Find 5 flaws in this argument, find 3 assumptions, what is the main conclusion....

The second paper is more essay based...and there was a section where they describe a scenario....like A claims to have done this....but B claims A did something else. C is A's friend....and thinks that A is teeling the truth....but normally more complicated than this. Then there are questions you have to answer relating to their reliability...and deducing what you think actually happened based on the stories told and what should happen.

Then the final section of paper 2 is an essay question...to with writing your own argument for or against a case.

Bit of a long post...sorry...:eek:

G

ReputationRep:
    Btw- you still haven't told me!!!! Private or not!?!?!?!

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.A.S Hewins)

He's right, don't underestimate critical thinking. Questions from past papers were used in our school's sixth form scholarship exams. A guy i know got straight As in his AS exams including double maths, latin, economics and class civ, and then got a B in critical thinking. He was v pissed off, think it was his first ever B.

ReputationRep:
    Btw- you still haven't told me!!!! Private or not!?!?!?!

G
    NOT!
    If you had read my profile you would have seen it!

No i left school because i thought it was too restrictive and just hated he disciplinarian attitude that we got even in the sixth form. The school i left thought it was a private school, lol, introducing a strict dress code in 6th form, blazers and ties even for the girls.

I just didnt work well in that environment, and when i left it shocked the teachers that i took a leap to go to college and salvage something from the mess my school had made of me. As usually the students with the best GSCE's never leave school, hehe.

Normally when people think *college* they think of drop outs and job dodgers but its not like that where i am. There are some of these people but its been quite good for me so far, apart from the fact that no one does german so i only get 2 hours a week of it with a teacher, even then you couldn call it being taught ...

ReputationRep:
    another thread we appear to have hijacked! lol.

That critical thinking sounds really taxing as you have to concentrate not to miss something in those passages.

ReputationRep:
    Woohoo!!! I was right!!! Although i really should've checked your profile!!!

From what you post on this forum...you don't seem to be a dropout at all!!! If anything...i say you were a very intelligent and charismatic person!!

Lol...the skl i'm in still has uniforms in 6th form...i don't really mind though....only another coupla months left of it!!!

Well....i've gotta go now....nice chatting to you..and good luck for when nottingham offer you a place!!!! It will happen...i know these things!!!

If you ever wanna chat...just pm me....and let me know what happens!!!!!bye

G

ReputationRep:
    Woohoo!!! I was right!!! Although i really should've checked your profile!!!

From what you post on this forum...you don't seem to be a dropout at all!!! If anything...i say you were a very intelligent and charismatic person!!

Lol...the skl i'm in still has uniforms in 6th form...i don't really mind though....only another coupla months left of it!!!

Well....i've gotta go now....nice chatting to you..and good luck for when nottingham offer you a place!!!! It will happen...i know these things!!!

If you ever wanna chat...just pm me....and let me know what happens!!!!!bye

G
    Thanks! Ciao!!

ReputationRep:
    When I applied Oxford my interviewers all asked about critical thinking and absolutely loved it. It was also very similar to the admissions test, which I think has now been replaced by that national thingy. Anyway, Critical thinking AS very good, do it, Unis love it when they know what it is!

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.