Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've gone 700 words over the suggested 2000 word limit. Do I need to go through the coursework finding parts that can be deleted or are the Examining Boards not particularly strict about the word count? Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    I've gone 700 words over the suggested 2000 word limit. Do I need to go through the coursework finding parts that can be deleted or are the Examining Boards not particularly strict about the word count? Thanks in advance
    Sorry... It's me again!

I know you're on a different exam board, but in Edexcel's case they subtracted one raw mark for every 500 words you went over the limit - so that would be about one mark subtracted if AQA do the same thing. I would argue that it's better to get everything in there and risk losing one or two marks rather than cut it down - I personally doubled the word limit when I did mine but still ended up with 82/100, and my friend did the same and ended up with about 96/100 I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leaby)
    Sorry... It's me again!

I know you're on a different exam board, but in Edexcel's case they subtracted one raw mark for every 500 words you went over the limit - so that would be about one mark subtracted if AQA do the same thing. I would argue that it's better to get everything in there and risk losing one or two marks rather than cut it down - I personally doubled the word limit when I did mine but still ended up with 82/100, and my friend did the same and ended up with about 96/100 I think.
    Thanks Leaby! I agree, I think I'll leave it as it is. I've finally finished! You've helped me sooo much these last couple of weeks- thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you Have some more rep for being so helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    Thanks Leaby! I agree, I think I'll leave it as it is. I've finally finished! You've helped me sooo much these last couple of weeks- thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you Have some more rep for being so helpful
    Thanks, Suz!!!!!!

It's been a pleasure helping you, it's been helpful for myself as well! Let me know how you do come August 19th - I hope you get the grade you deserve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leaby)
    Thanks, Suz!!!!!!

It's been a pleasure helping you, it's been helpful for myself as well! Let me know how you do come August 19th - I hope you get the grade you deserve.
    Well, don't know if I deserve them. After all, I do hate Psychology with a passion! I hope you do well too. Thanks again x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    The AQA board proposes 2000 as the word limit, but i went five hundred words over - I informed my teacher however she told me not to be so concerned since they won't actually notice - unless of course it becomes quite apparant you went over the word limit. A few hundred words aren't that noticeable (AQA English coursework i went six hundred words over and still recieved an A).

ReputationRep:
    Ahh... useful advise to someone just startign her c/w....

Anyone know the min to write?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by txt_eva)
    Ahh... useful advise to someone just startign her c/w....

Anyone know the min to write?
    If you're talking about AQA Psychology i think 2000 words is the sufficient amount or anything closest to that. 2000 words isn't a lot for the psychology coursework as there are so many sections, you have to be very careful with your words!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    If you're taling about AQA Psychology i think 2000 words is the sufficient amount or anything closest to that. 2000 words isn't a lot for the psychology coursework as there are so many sections, you have to be very careful with your words!
    I'm doing Edexcel (normally simular).

Ok... cheers for the hint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by txt_eva)
    I'm doing Edexcel (normally simular).

Ok... cheers for the hint.
    Good luck with it - and if you're under the word limit - don't worry it's the quality that counts after all x

ReputationRep:
    The AQA board proposes 2000 as the word limit, but i went five hundred words over - I informed my teacher however she told me not to be so concerned since they won't actually notice - unless of course it becomes quite apparant you went over the word limit. A few hundred words aren't that noticeable (AQA English coursework i went six hundred words over and still recieved an A).
    Yeah I know AQA are the only exam board that don't deduct marks if you go over the limit in your english coursework - I got an A as well and wrote 1500 words over the limit! (I have trouble with word limits...!) It may be the same policy for psychology...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leaby)
    Yeah I know AQA are the only exam board that don't deduct marks if you go over the limit in your english coursework - I got an A as well and wrote 1500 words over the limit! (I have trouble with word limits...!) It may be the same policy for psychology...
    You went 1500 words over and got away with it? :eek: As for Psychology apparantly they're harsher - no fair

ReputationRep:
    You went 1500 words over and got away with it? :eek: As for Psychology apparantly they're harsher - no fair
    Just to check: are we both talking about english literature?

Yup, sure did - I've gone about 1000 words over the limit on my comparative, too - but if I get a bad mark for that it will be for the fact that the essay was a pile of poo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leaby)
    Just to check: are we both talking about english literature?

Yup, sure did - I've gone about 1000 words over the limit on my comparative, too - but if I get a bad mark for that it will be for the fact that the essay was a pile of poo.
    Yes English Literature. I only went four hundred words over the comparitive since the head of English threatened she would personally count every word. No fair - lucky you!

ReputationRep:
    Yes English Literature. I only went four hundred words over the comparitive since the head of English threatened she would personally count every word. No fair - lucky you!
    hi Alee...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice I definately won't bother trying to cut words out her and there now. I'll just risk it.

ReputationRep:
    That's quite unfortunate, but it may result to your advantage - you can be clear and concise! I waffled all over the place...

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.