The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

LCF or CSM??

I am over the moon to have been offered a place at London College of Fashion for Costume for Performance, however I have now also got into Fashion Womenswear at Central St Martins, which is also unbelievably amazing!!
But now I am in a huge dilemma over which one to choose! Please can anyone give me some information on either course and which they think is better!?
Reply 1
Personally I would choose CSM as it is pretty much my life aspiration to go there haha, anyway im sorry for being a pain but do you have a Flickr account or anything? I'm applying to CSM next year and I'm just wondering what kind of work they are looking for? Thank you!
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Sorry I don't! To be honest I didn't actually have a huge amount of straight forward fashion in my portfolio, a lot of my work is much more fine art/performance based, and so I think they like to see something that shows a different way of thinking, quite conceptual work and most definitely be very experimental ! Hope that helps
Reply 3
URGH, thank you so much! I didn't take art A level and now I'm paying the consequences :frown: my portfolio is so textiles/fashion based... I'm taking a foundation next year though. It's jut so competitive! Congratulations btw! :smile:
Reply 4
Thankyou! Don't worry about it, keep with the fashion/textiles stuff - that is what you are applying for after all! Foundation will most definitely help, A levels don't make a difference as long as you have foundation. just remember to be really experimental, take risks, try out loads of ideas, and think outside the box! Good luck! x
Reply 5
Just accepted my offer at St Martins!! Ahh scary stuff!
Reply 6
I'm just going to have to try my best next year :frown: I just feel like my portfolios really weak ATM! Haha, how was the interview anyway? Was it intimidating!? Anyway congratulations! I'm sure you'll have a lovely time!
Reply 7
I seriously wouldn't worry about that now, I didn't include a single thing from A level in my portfolio! My A level stuff seems awful to me now! Thats what the foundation year is for, building up a good portfolio to get you into uni. The whole interview process was really long, first there was a portfolio review, then we had to wait around the whole day just for a five minute interview with the tutors! The actual interview wasn't that bad, its just getting to that point is the hard bit! Anyway, thankyou and good luck with your A levels !
Reply 8
Thank you so much for replying and helping me! I feel better now, thank you! Xxxx
Reply 9
Original post by annalily
I am over the moon to have been offered a place at London College of Fashion for Costume for Performance, however I have now also got into Fashion Womenswear at Central St Martins, which is also unbelievably amazing!!
But now I am in a huge dilemma over which one to choose! Please can anyone give me some information on either course and which they think is better!?

Hi! Just curious, why did you decide St Martins over LCF? I am in the process of applying to both. Just wondering.... Thanks!
Reply 10
did you take any foundation course or did u get into both directly from high school and a levels?
thank you and congratulations:smile:
Original post by annalily

Congratulations!
Hi I just wanted too ask you how hard it was for you too get into central st Martins and what you felt like gave you that edge too get in.
Original post by Joehallett17
Hi I just wanted too ask you how hard it was for you too get into central st Martins and what you felt like gave you that edge too get in.

Hey @Joehallett17,

Great to hear that you are interested in applying for Central Saint Martins (CSM). Was there a particular course you were looking at?

I think the main thing they are looking for at interview is your passion for and commitment to the subject and confidence in your own work and ideas. CSM is a school where I feel it's really important to have your own voice.

The competitive nature for getting in to CSM varies from year to year and differs depending on what course you're applying for but don't let this stop you.

Please do not hesitate to ask any more specific questions.

Kindest,

Tegan :smile:
UAL Student Rep
Original post by University of the Arts London Student Reps
Hey @Joehallett17,

Great to hear that you are interested in applying for Central Saint Martins (CSM). Was there a particular course you were looking at?

I think the main thing they are looking for at interview is your passion for and commitment to the subject and confidence in your own work and ideas. CSM is a school where I feel it's really important to have your own voice.

The competitive nature for getting in to CSM varies from year to year and differs depending on what course you're applying for but don't let this stop you.

Please do not hesitate to ask any more specific questions.

Kindest,

UAL Student Rep

Thanks for getting back too me, For the tailoring course, is that one of the hardest too get into with CSM
Original post by Joehallett17
Thanks for getting back too me, For the tailoring course, is that one of the hardest too get into with CSM

Hey @Joehallett17,

All the fashion design courses at CSM are relatively competitive but don't let this stop you. If you don't try you won't know!

You can check out the requirements and find out more information about the BA Fashion Design Menswear here.

Good luck with your application.

All the best,

UAL Student Rep
Original post by University of the Arts London Student Reps
Hey @Joehallett17,

All the fashion design courses at CSM are relatively competitive but don't let this stop you. If you don't try you won't know!

You can check out the requirements and find out more information about the BA Fashion Design Menswear here.

Good luck with your application.

All the best,

UAL Student Rep

Hello!

I am thinking of applying for the January 2022 intake for the MA in Fashion Communications: Fashion Journalism, does this course require a portfolio? If so, do you have any tips for what a candidate can do to stand out positively?

Thanks!
Original post by mrsjomiloju
Hello!

I am thinking of applying for the January 2022 intake for the MA in Fashion Communications: Fashion Journalism, does this course require a portfolio? If so, do you have any tips for what a candidate can do to stand out positively?

Thanks!

Hi @mrsjomiloju

MA Fashion Communication: Fashion Journalism does not require a portfolio but there is a written element that you need to submit. Have a look under 'Entry Requirements' on the course page for full details.

Best wishes,
Sian
UK Student Recruitment Team

Quick Reply

Latest