The Student Room Group

Medical officer in the army or RAF.

Hello fellow tsr users.
I have a place at medical school and I start in September providing I get the grades!
I have always had an interest in being a medical officer in the army or RAF.
But I cannot find much information about what they do on a day to day role? Where they would be based? Etc.
The training they give you is clear and the selection process is clear! Salaries etc.
If anyone knows or knows where to find this information I'll be grateful! Then I know whether to apply and to which one!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
It depends on what speciality you go on to do within medicine as a career as to what your job will entail.
Reply 2
Original post by moonkatt
It depends on what speciality you go on to do within medicine as a career as to what your job will entail.

I just want a thing to read so I can see the career pathways!!
:P
Reply 3
Original post by Rebeelouise
I just want a thing to read so I can see the career pathways!!
:P

This article is from 2010 but gives an outline of careers in each of the armed forces as a doctor.

http://careers.bmj.com/careers/advice/view-article.html?id=20000644
Reply 4
Original post by Rebeelouise
Hello fellow tsr users.
I have a place at medical school and I start in September providing I get the grades!
I have always had an interest in being a medical officer in the army or RAF.
But I cannot find much information about what they do on a day to day role? Where they would be based? Etc.
The training they give you is clear and the selection process is clear! Salaries etc.
If anyone knows or knows where to find this information I'll be grateful! Then I know whether to apply and to which one!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you go on the army website there should be some good information. There are recruitment offices around as well and a number you can call to give you extra info.
May I recommend a medical cadetship. Its a pretty rocking scheme you apply and if you get it for the last 3 years of med school the army pays your tuition fees and also pays you the salary of a lieutenant which obviously gives you more financial freedom.
After you've graduated you have to give 6 years service and I think you work your way up to become a Medical Officer whilst having some pretty awesome experiences on the way. I know i'm defiantly going to go for it.
Good Luck with your results I hope you get what you need.

Quick Reply

Latest