The Student Room Group

Your Experience of Drama School Auditions?

Hey everyone :smile:
I'm planning to audition for a few drama schools at the beginning of next year, and I'm wondering if there are any students here who've been through drama school auditions before and could offer me some insight on the process?
Of course I've read through the Auditions&Admissions sections of the sites of the schools I plan to audition for (namely RADA, LAMDA, and possibly Drama Centre London and Guildhall. I'm also looking into alternatives, such as MMU, just in case it doesn't work out) but these don't really tell me much about peoples' experiences of the process.
In short, have you auditioned for a prestigious drama school? How much pressure did you feel during the auditions process? Was it easier than you expected, or a lot more stressful?
It won't break my heart of nobody replies to this, it'd just be nice to know roughly what to expect, and what other peope have felt of the whole experience.
EDIT: It occurs to me that I might have put this in the wrong forum, so if I have then I apoogise whoeheartedy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Most Theatre schools will expect you be a triple threat (all singing, all dancing and all acting) although I'm not saying they won't accept you if you aren't, but it will help if you are experienced or at least have some knowledge of all three.

Most likely you'll have a workshop which will be for choral purposes and most likely dance purposes - perhaps acting purposes but that depends on whether they will just view you by yourself. From interviews and auditions I have had - If you don't at least try and interact with others taking the audition or whatever it will be far more stressful, I can assure you. I mean fair enough if they are being stuck up idiots and try and ignore you but if you can, find someone to talk to to relieve the pressure. That way, even if you don't get in you will still have had fun and if you do get in, you might know someone from the audition process.

You will of course be nervous, I mean it's not going to be an easy audition. I do my singing exams for LAMDA and I can tell you that you could sing terribly but might get full marks if you act amazingly alongside it ahaha. They really only care about performance ability - but singing and dancing will help. I will say that RADA will probably be the hardest to get into because it is really quite prestigious. Many people I know have applied to go to Mountview and I just read this girls blog post about her experience there so I'll link you to it: http://joannefrazer94.wordpress.com/2013/01/10/small-girl-vs-big-drama-school-1-mountview/

There you go :smile:

I wish you luck for your future auditions!
Reply 2
Thanks for the link, it was a
very interesting read!
I'm planning to audition for the straight acting courses (which I should probably have mentioned, actually), so while they do ask applicants to prepare a song, none of them have mentioned dance. (I have two left feet, so I'd struggle in musical theatre despite it being my first love.)

It was very interesting to be able to read her emotions through the day, though (which is what I was looking for), despite her going for musical rather than acting-acting.
It's largely because I worried, you know, that I'd know my monologues etc perfectly but fail to prepare myself emotionally and end up bungling the auditions. Which would be awful. Haha.

And thank you for the luck! (Although I hope you'll forgive me if I try not to reply too heavily on it. :wink: )
Reply 3
hey, I've made a facebook page for anyone joining Guildhall in September 2013:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/566768386678314/
Reply 4
Hey, I auditioned for Central School of Speech and Drama this year, however I hated the audition so didn't bother applying for the rest! You have to be 100% certain and prepared for it. I think I just went to a bad audition though to be honest. We had to audition for all three pathways (straight acting, musical theatre and devised theatre) however, in one of the auditions I was made to be 'barbed wire' and the colour yellow...yeah you have to be prepared. They try to intimidate you but as long as you man up and don't freeze it will be fine. I made a few friends and it was a good laugh, but it made me realise that I'd rather go to uni than go to drama school!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending