The Student Room Group

Profile evaluation for master's programmes in finance/economics

I am a BSc Economics student in the UK, from continental Europe. About to finish my second year. I would like comments on my suitability for good master's programmes in finance/economics in the UK, please.

66 average first year; average likely to be 78 or 79 second year
Work experience: Summer intern @ tiny accounting/auditing firm after second year
No GMAT/GRE

I go to a very weak UK university. Does this make it much harder to be admitted to top universities? Does my low first year average severely harm my chances?

It is my dream to study at LSE/Cambridge/Imperial/UCL/Warwick (Oxford doesn't seem to have a suitable programme). Would any of these be realistic alternatives, or should I mentally settle for lesser unis like Edinburgh/Manchester/Bristol?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by asddf
I am a BSc Economics student in the UK, from continental Europe. About to finish my second year. I would like comments on my suitability for good master's programmes in finance/economics in the UK, please.

66 average first year; average likely to be 78 or 79 second year
Work experience: Summer intern @ tiny accounting/auditing firm after second year
No GMAT/GRE

I go to a very weak UK university. Does this make it much harder to be admitted to top universities? Does my low first year average severely harm my chances?

It is my dream to study at LSE/Cambridge/Imperial/UCL/Warwick (Oxford doesn't seem to have a suitable programme). Would any of these be realistic alternatives, or should I mentally settle for lesser unis like Edinburgh/Manchester/Bristol?

Thanks.

I think with a good first, good references and personal statement and decent experiences/cv (possibly including extracurriculars at university if you can?), you can totally aim for unis like Lse, Imperial and the rest.

Just focus on keeping a first and writing a good statement where you can show your motivation for the course as well as sell your experiences well.

Edit: plus a good GMAT will help a lot and for some courses I guess it's compulsory. At least 650, better if 700 will ensure your application is strong. I don't think Imperial will care about it though, as far as I know it's not a requirement for them
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending