Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    does any one know which accounting exam is the best one to do?
    CIMA/ ACCA etc- also is it really that hard to pass them

i have chosen to do acc & fin at uni
    do u reckon this is a gd choice if i want to become n accountant
    ive heard some ppl say companies dont like it and would prefer a subject like maths or law

others have said doing acc & fin will make it easier to get an interview at the "big 4" firms

who's correct ?

ReputationRep:
    well i'm doing accounting too

and i have searched through the forums a couple of times and there are quite a lot of posts sayin that a more general degree is better - and that people with accounting degrees do worse in the ACCA and CIMA exams than people with general degrees

and it says in the Sun today that only 4% of accountants are happy with their jobs...

great!

ReputationRep:
    u beleave what they print in the sun?

infact u actully bother to "read" it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Auerm)
    u beleave what they print in the sun?

infact u actully bother to "read" it?
    i know that the sun is reputated to be unreliable, but most of the things are truths

ReputationRep:
    about a month ago they printed an article about ken splitting up with barbi, i mean i know it was a slow news day and all but...

(Original post by sparkler)
    well i'm doing accounting too

and i have searched through the forums a couple of times and there are quite a lot of posts sayin that a more general degree is better - and that people with accounting degrees do worse in the ACCA and CIMA exams than people with general degrees
    Probably because they get complacent or they are simply lower caliber students on average, rather than anything inherently bad with the courses.

(Original post by sparkler)
    and it says in the Sun today that only 4% of accountants are happy with their jobs...

great!

My Aunt loved it. Only retired for health reasons, otherwise she would have stayed for as long as she could.

ReputationRep:
    Doing accounting degree gets you execption from up to 2parts of ACCA which is great and you will be left with only 1-part, which is PART-3 (takes a year to pass). THATS IT.

ReputationRep:
    it depends where u go, each uni tailors their course around exsemptions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucy!)
    does any one know which accounting exam is the best one to do?
    CIMA/ ACCA etc- also is it really that hard to pass them

i have chosen to do acc & fin at uni
    do u reckon this is a gd choice if i want to become n accountant
    ive heard some ppl say companies dont like it and would prefer a subject like maths or law

others have said doing acc & fin will make it easier to get an interview at the "big 4" firms

who's correct ?
    An accounting and finance degree will give you exemptions from certain qualifying exams, but how many exemptions depends on the course. On which qualification is best, well that all depends on what you want to do, if you want to be a management account then do the CIMA exams, however if you want to be a chartered accountant then do the ACA exams, or you could always do the tax exams and be a taxation accountant.

By doing a degree that remains within the finance and economics sectors, you may have an advantage if applying for other jobs within these sectors (that is over people that do not have degrees in these areas)

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.