The Student Room Group

WJEC G1 Exam - Climate Change

Hi,
The G1 exam is on Tuesday 14th May and I fear they will ask a question about the human contribution to climate change. Apart from the obvious increase in greenhouse gas emissions primarily caused by humans, I cannot think of anything else and I can't see them awarding 10 marks for that alone. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Reply 1
Hey,

some of the other reasons are:
1. Agriculture, e.g in China there's a large methane release from animals like cows and rice development. The IPCC (international panel of climate change) say this is one of the main 3 components of climate change.
2. Deforestation, rainforests absorb more than 20% of man made CO2 emissions so with less of these there's going to be a lot more CO2 in the air! Cutting down rainforests can create up to 17% extra greenhouse gases. These rainforests act as carbon sinks, in particular the Amazon Rainforest is being replaced with even more agriculture (therefore even more CO2)!
3. Energy, burning fossil fuels is contributing to greenhouse gases, so using renewable energy will help decrease this level. Excessive use of cars is polluting the air as well.

Just some useful figures which could help support your answers:
- the UK Government states 4% of carbon emissions are from industrial processes, and 21% of carbon emissions are from transport. They also say that 7% is from agriculture and 65% from the fuel used to create energy. :smile:

Hope this helped a bit! I'll be taking the same exam on Tuesday, good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 2
That's great. Thanks for the help and good luck on Tuesday! 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Does anyone know where I can get model answers for this exam???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending