Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    Was there another version other than Princess Diana?
    Yes. The Marilyn Monroe Version:

Goodbye Norma Jean
    Though I never knew you at all
    You had the grace to hold yourself
    While those around you crawled
    They crawled out of the woodwork
    And they whispered into your brain
    They set you on the treadmill
    And they made you change your name

And it seems to me you lived your life
    Like a candle in the wind
    Never knowing who to cling to
    When the rain set in
    And I would have liked to have known you
    But I was just a kid
    Your candle burned out long before
    Your legend ever did

Loneliness was tough
    The toughest role you ever played
    Hollywood created a superstar
    And pain was the price you paid
    Even when you died
    Oh the press still hounded you
    All the papers had to say
    Was that Marilyn was found in the nude

Goodbye Norma Jean
    From the young man in the 22nd row
    Who sees you as something as more than sexual
    More than just our Marilyn Monroe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woodsy)
    Totally agree. The performance of it in Westminster Abbey was also moving, at the time like.
    I'll add to that. Reginald Kenneth Dwight is the only English artist who could have pulled off that performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    I'll add to that. Reginald Kenneth Dwight is the only English artist who could have pulled off that performance.
    a few spice girls no.1s are very mmuch overrated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    a few spice girls no.1s are very mmuch overrated
    My view on the Spice Girls is that they knew they were cheese and at that time, it was the 'in' thing. I honestly dont think even the spice girls believe they are good songs, so cant really be overrated.

ReputationRep:
    My view on the Spice Girls is that they knew they were cheese and at that time, it was the 'in' thing. I honestly dont think even the spice girls believe they are good songs, so cant really be overrated.
    surely they are overrated when there are so many 'die-hard' fans of spice-girls

ReputationRep:
    The Beatles are slightly over-rated - well i'm still undecided on this - mayhap it's just the fact that the songs are overly used all the time, so perhaps i'm just getting sick of the songs.

what is a Beatle's fan??? everyone seems to like them lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami_ThePeelite)
    The Beatles are slightly over-rated - well i'm still undecided on this - mayhap it's just the fact that the songs are overly used all the time, so perhaps i'm just getting sick of the songs.
    That is your view, which is of course incorrect, no, joking.
    You can't really overrate a band that changed the face f popular music forever, dominated the charts and airplay across the developed world, and whose songs bring so much pleasure, still 40 years on.

A Beatles fan is someone who likes the Beatles, their music and possibly their ideas and point of view.
    for example, me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    Imagine is a very over-rated song. Distinctly average - why choose that one to bang on about all the time when Lennon wrote so many other classics?
    it has absolutely abismal lyrics, and is quite simply the most hyped and generally poo song in the world!! He was so up himself!

ReputationRep:

what is a Beatle's fan??? everyone seems to like them lol
    I would agree with that. Some of the Beatles albums are vastly overrated. A very important band in musics history with some of the best ever songs, but still overrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    surely they are overrated when there are so many 'die-hard' fans of spice-girls
    The test of music is time. Think about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    it has absolutely abismal lyrics, and is quite simply the most hyped and generally poo song in the world!! He was so up himself!
    Lennon, up himself?? It is called charisma, and he was one of the most generous people in the public eye, the fact you call it poo really is pathetic, at least insult it properly, or not at all. (please don't use the word suck)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)
    Lennon, up himself?? It is called charisma, and he was one of the most generous people in the public eye, the fact you call it poo really is pathetic, at least insult it properly, or not at all. (please don't use the word suck)
    Oh he had charisma. You aware of his last ever live performance?

ReputationRep:
    Look to Buddy Holly, he's the influence - and indeed influenced the Beatles,

Anyone can say they are a Beatles fan because they generally like them - very anodyne

Yellow Submarine? Ob la de Ob la da? lol - absolutely abysmal lyrics lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)
    I didn't want to be coarse and swear, but its not a completey terrible song, hence why I used "poo", its just a polite way of saying it's not all that great. And well, if thats charisma that he so wonderfully displayed I'm just glad I don't have any

ReputationRep:
    Lennon was a pretender, a fraud - and he was extremely bizzarre. His music is bad,

If he was so bothered about peace and love why did he break the peace and love by cheatin on his first wife with Yoko Ono - I abhor her.

ReputationRep:

Anyone can say they are a Beatles fan because they generally like them - very anodyne

Indeed. But part of the charm of the Beatles is that they 'reach out' to the general public with not so complicated lyrics. I'd suggest that such lyrics were written when high on some toxicating illegal substance, so all can be forgiven because McCartney and Lennon were capable of writing excellent lyrics, as they did. The main reason infact why Elton John is one of the most succesful artists of all time is because Taupin 'dumbed down' the lyrics.

ReputationRep:

If you are going to be like that then you may as well look at black artists and music before that which actually originally inspired the 'rock and roll' genre, Bill Hayley and the like.

Yellow Submarine is one of the weaker Beatles songs if there is such a thing, but they still manage to pull it off.

Oh he had charisma. You aware of his last ever live performance?
    no, care to tell me about it?

ReputationRep:
    Lennon was a pretender, a fraud - and he was extremely bizzarre. His music is bad,

If he was so bothered about peace and love why did he break the peace and love by cheatin on his first wife with Yoko Ono - I abhor her.
    Can i use your text to put in my signature? its gold

If you class Lennon as bad, may i ask what you think is good?
    I don't really see where you are going with the pretender/fraud thing, ellaborate?

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. But part of the charm of the Beatles is that they 'reach out' to the general public with not so complicated lyrics. I'd suggest that such lyrics were written when high on some toxicating illegal substance, so all can be forgiven because McCartney and Lennon were capable of writing excellent lyrics, as they did. The main reason infact why Elton John is one of the most succesful artists of all time is because Taupin 'dumbed down' the lyrics.
    Indeed, well put.
    Off topic but that is one of the reasons The Smiths are not liked by many people, lyrics are at times, difficult to understand.

It was post WW2 UK, The Beatles merely provided an outlet for people to seek joy and inspiration in music, hence the euphoria of the 1960's which they played a big part in.

ReputationRep:
    yes you can

he was a fraud and a pretender in terms of his public/private expression of peace and love - he talks about giving peace a chance and not fighting and about love,

but he fights with certain bandmembers about money, cheats on his first wife and his second wife with a mistress,

to me, peace and love is about not fighting and love as in unadulterated love - not in-fighting and cheatin and kickin your wife out.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.