Turn on thread page Beta

Most Overrated Song watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)
    If you are going to be like that then you may as well look at black artists and music before that which actually originally inspired the 'rock and roll' genre, Bill Hayley and the like.

Yellow Submarine is one of the weaker Beatles songs if there is such a thing, but they still manage to pull it off.

no, care to tell me about it?
    Buy Elton John Rare Masters double disk set. That particular song is extermely rare, which is found on disc 2. Well worth a listen to see how good Elton was before his pop annoyance days.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846

Read some of the reviews to find out about which song it is and details, it will be in there somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami_ThePeelite)
    yes you can

he was a fraud and a pretender in terms of his public/private expression of peace and love - he talks about giving peace a chance and not fighting and about love,

but he fights with certain bandmembers about money, cheats on his first wife and his second wife with a mistress,

to me, peace and love is about not fighting and love as in unadulterated love - not in-fighting and cheatin and kickin your wife out.
    A lot of his problems were i think, drug related, i'm not condoning any of his actions, but what goes on behind closed doors, remains. Everyone has their problems, he not the least, but you must see the overwhelming good he has done for music and to some extent in peoples take on the world.

ReputationRep:
    good = Camel, Love, Don Mclean, Steve Harley, The Smiths, Buddy Holly, The Cure, Roxy Music, Pink Floyd, T. Rex, Nick Cave, Jay Ungar, Hank Marvin, Andrew Gold, Caravan, Joy Division.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Buy Elton John Rare Masters double disk set. That particular song is extermely rare, which is found on disc 2. Well worth a listen to see how good Elton was before his pop annoyance days.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846

Read some of the reviews to find out about which song it is and details, it will be in there somewhere.
    Which song are you talking about? I can listen to that album on the net

good = Camel, Love, Don Mclean, Steve Harley, The Smiths, Buddy Holly, The Cure, Roxy Music, Pink Floyd, T. Rex, Nick Cave, Jay Ungar, Hank Marvin, Andrew Gold, Caravan, Joy Division.
    Agree on all of them, although i have never heard of caravan.

ReputationRep:
    Which song are you talking about? I can listen to that album on the net

Agree on all of them, although i have never heard of caravan.
    I saw her standing there. Read the reviews, they will go into detail. The performance was brought about from a bet between the two, it was to be Lennons last.

ReputationRep:
    No Bob Dylan, Cat Stevens or Randy Newman?

ReputationRep:
    hahahah, no i'm afraid not -

a few friends of mine like Dylan, but im in the Mclean Camp - Dylan vs. Mclean kinda thing, i couldn't like both lol,

the other two, they're ok - Cat Stevens' early stuff is good.

ReputationRep:
    hahahah, no i'm afraid not -

a few friends of mine like Dylan, but im in the Mclean Camp - Dylan vs. Mclean kinda thing, i couldn't like both lol,

the other two, they're ok - Cat Stevens' early stuff is good.
    Most musicians peak very early in their careers. Dylan, Cat Stevens, Randy Newman and especially Elton John are all perfect examples of this. Although Elton's last studio album was his best for over 25 years. Some of Dylans early work is very thought provocking.

Yes Mclean is very good too, I dont understand why you cant like both :confused:

ReputationRep:
    yes that's true, they peak at the beginning because they're tryin to create the best music to essentially attain a lot of fans and get deals etc...

you're right, why can't i like Bob Dylan? lol sorry i was being slightly illogical - i'll get some of his songs

ReputationRep:
    I can't honestly see why A bridge over troubled water is overrated, an alltime classic song
    Well what does it have that means it deserves the status of an all-time classic? All I here when I here it is cheesy lyrics and a disjointed tune, which ironically has no flow.

ReputationRep:
    I am a massive Simon and Garfunkel fan (I would love to see them live) however I don't think Bridge Over Troubled Water is their best song. Its a good song but I just think they have so much better songs such as Kathy's Song, Baby Driver, Homeward Bound, Mrs Robinson etc.

John Lennon's Imagine again is overated but it is a good song.

As for Smiths being overated they probably are as the way the press go on they are the best thing since bread. However some of Morrisey's stuff is simply a work of genius.

ReputationRep:
    anything by justin timberlake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    John Lennon's Imagine again is overated but it is a good song.
    Amen! Except I don't even think it's that good a song. The sentiments expressed are admirable and all that, but the music and the lyrics are just... meh.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, got to be the Beatles. Completely overrated, it was only because of the time when they released their songs, that they were noticed. Not exactly progressive, if they had emerged ten years later....

Buddy Holly was a definite inspiration for all, including the Beatles!! I just can't understand the OTT way everyone discusses the Beatles.

C'mon, The Rolling Stones was musically and lyrically better, and progressive. Bob Dylan (one of THE greatest lyrcists).. then you have the master Jimi Hendrix, all a lot more influential and talented than the Beatles...Jefferson Airplane...byrds.. Joan Baez.. JONI MITCHELL!

For overrated pap, check out DIDO (tuneless bint), The Darkness (rubbish rip-offs check our Rainbow and the 80's rock/metal movement for much better music). Also, the so-called 'rappers' - 50 Cent, G-Unit, Kayne West AND ANY OTHER MUPPET which uses great music as samples and speeds them up, to sound like chattering hamsters...... PAH_LEEZE!

Other over-rated rubbish... Robbie Williams (how does this guy get £80mil. when the majority of his songs are written by someone else, who he then sacks.)

On the so-called 'jazz' field: Diana Krall, Katie Melua, JAMIE CULLUM.... these are not jazz artists, they are pop/jazz cross-overs, who really need to go back to the pop idol audtions.......

Well i think i had my rant.. just goes to show how much unadulterated filth, masquarading as music seeps through...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Specialheffa)
    Sorry, got to be the Beatles. Completely overrated, it was only because of the time when they released their songs, that they were noticed. Not exactly progressive, if they had emerged ten years later....

Buddy Holly was a definite inspiration for all, including the Beatles!! I just can't understand the OTT way everyone discusses the Beatles.

C'mon, The Rolling Stones was musically and lyrically better, and progressive. Bob Dylan (one of THE greatest lyrcists).. then you have the master Jimi Hendrix, all a lot more influential and talented than the Beatles...Jefferson Airplane...byrds.. Joan Baez.. JONI MITCHELL!

For overrated pap, check out DIDO (tuneless bint), The Darkness (rubbish rip-offs check our Rainbow and the 80's rock/metal movement for much better music). Also, the so-called 'rappers' - 50 Cent, G-Unit, Kayne West AND ANY OTHER MUPPET which uses great music as samples and speeds them up, to sound like chattering hamsters...... PAH_LEEZE!

Other over-rated rubbish... Robbie Williams (how does this guy get £80mil. when the majority of his songs are written by someone else, who he then sacks.)

On the so-called 'jazz' field: Diana Krall, Katie Melua, JAMIE CULLUM.... these are not jazz artists, they are pop/jazz cross-overs, who really need to go back to the pop idol audtions.......

Well i think i had my rant.. just goes to show how much unadulterated filth, masquarading as music seeps through...
    you have certainly been giving this a lot of thought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Specialheffa)
    Sorry, got to be the Beatles. Completely overrated, it was only because of the time when they released their songs, that they were noticed. Not exactly progressive, if they had emerged ten years later
    You could say that about almost any artist, the fact is The Beatles came along at that time - so they were progressive, any later and yes probably would have missed the boat. A great example of that is the Stone Roses, they left it too late to release further albums, by which time Oasis, Blur, Verve had all nipped in the door.

The Beatles music has so far stood the test of time, and i'm sure it will for decades to come, depending on how long humans actually inhabit this planet. At the time yes the music was fresh and dare i say radical which has shaped the way music is produced, hardly a factor which makes them overrated, its a fact.
    By that logic: gravity = overrated.

fact is they have sold more records than anybody else, making them rather popular wouldn't you say.

I agree with your Dylan and Hendrix comments of which the latter i am a huge fan and admirer.

Although i must strongly disagree with you saying the Rolling Stones are lyrically more progressive than the Beatles, thats just plain stupid

ReputationRep:
    Anything by Elvis- He stole it all from black people.
    Anything by Joss Stone- She friggin' sucks.
    Anything by Britney Spears-- What the hell?
    Anything by Justin Timberlake-- Can anyone say " Usher wannabe?".
    Anything by Eminem--Although he admits to stealing his style, he's a foul-mouthed ******* against black women when it suits him to be so.

Everybody friggin' sucks!!! I'm going to bed!

ReputationRep:
    Generally any pop is overrated.
    But the most overrated poem has to be Shakespeare's sonnet
    i've forgot the number
    'Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?'
    Anyone can see that Sonnet 116 is much better
    Does anyone else have Paul McCartney and the Frog Chorus
    I've had that when I was four
    I have found some old LPs with the sound of Steam Trains on them
    Anyone else got any?

ReputationRep:
    I LOVE the frog chorus. That is such a nifty song! I believe Norah Jones to be the most overrated singer at the moment. She isn't particularly talented and her songs are just very very boring.

ReputationRep:
    Why can I only ever here that goddamn milkshake song when I turn my radio on- its awful!!

Also I think that radiohead are reeeeeallly overated all there songs have that boring whiny sound to them which I just can't stand.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.