Turn on thread page Beta

Help me!! need answers ASAP!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    please help....this is my predicament so far.....!

okay, first things first, i am hoping to get AAB in my A2's or most probably AAC

I orignally applied to fashion management and had to apply to pretty poor uni's to find this course, however i have since changed my mind and have managed to change two of my courses to business studies (nottingham Trent) and Marketing Management (northumbria).

These two universities are not very reputable are they? So my problem is do i accpet northumbria as my firm choice and spend thousands to get a degree employees will "look down upon"?

my other problem is should i accept nott.trent as my insurance offer? Bearing in mind that northumbria want ABB (quite high for an apparently poor university) and Nott.Trent want CCC.

If i slip by one or two grades to ABC and don't get into northumbria, i don't know if i want to be committed to a university like nott.trent or whether it would be better to risk going through clearing?

Thank you so much for any help and opinions you can provide.

(Original post by kat_uk_84)
    These two universities are not very reputable are they? So my problem is do i accpet northumbria as my firm choice and spend thousands to get a degree employees will "look down upon"?
    the ABB offer from northumbria is insane, ignore that place completly its terrible, with your grades you should be aiming *much* higher

trent isnt that bad i suspect CCC is favourable offer to you but if repuatation is what you are after then you might be best off taking a gap year and reapplying

any degree is worth it to some extent but i definetly wouldnt pay 9k for any business degree from northumbria

ReputationRep:
    really? oh no......i can't take a year out because i've already repeated a year at college and really wanted to go this year....

is northumbria that bad? apparently it does really well on teaching scores? and has been voted best new uni by the times for 3 years?!
    is this all just propaganda that stands for nothing!?

i could risk it and go through UCAS extra to somewhere like Aston? but this means declining ALL previous offers and only being allowed ONE choice. that means i could end up in clearing, perhaps northumbria would be better because there is less risk????

ReputationRep:
    really? oh no......i can't take a year out because i've already repeated a year at college and really wanted to go this year....

is northumbria that bad? apparently it does really well on teaching scores? and has been voted best new uni by the times for 3 years?!
    is this all just propaganda that stands for nothing!?

i could risk it and go through UCAS extra to somewhere like Aston? but this means declining ALL previous offers and only being allowed ONE choice. that means i could end up in clearing, perhaps northumbria would be better because there is less risk????

Oxford Brookes was voted best new uni this year.

trent is definetly better, i know no one likes league tables but whilst trent is 26th for business in the times, level with cardiff and above sheffield, northumbria is 59th, really really do not go to northumbria, do you have any other offers?

trent is cool, go there instead

ReputationRep:
    but why is northumbria ABB and nottingham trent CCC, surely that is a reflection on something!?
    my other offers are for fashion management and similar subjects at Leeds, UMIST, and Huddersfield.....but leeds and UMIST need a b in GCSE maths to study business.....i got a C so don't think they will transfer me to their business courses.....i could try though!?
    What are the reasons for such distain towards nothumbria??

ReputationRep:
    but why is northumbria ABB and nottingham trent CCC, surely that is a reflection on something!?
    Only their egos and their strategies to manipulate students.

Seriously, if you get AAB, you'll get into much better unis than those through clearing.

ReputationRep:
    I could apply to Aston through UCAS extra now, as apparently they have places left and i've heard it's good for business!? but that means i cannot have an insuarnce choice and could end up going through clearing......is there ever any good courses in clearing?

ReputationRep:
    You can definatly do better than Norhtumbria with those grades. Not that its a terrible university, but you want to be aiming to get a degree that employers are going to take more seriously. Clearing is definately a viable option, with your grades you are bound to find a good managment course at another (better) university, whether it will be for fashion management is probably quite unlikly though.

ReputationRep:
    i'm not interested in fashion management...i decided that a business course on it's own would be more beneficial which is why i have such a poor list of applications. Fashion management was a rare course to find and so i had to choose "bad" universities in order to find it. Would you reccommend Aston through UCAS extra?

ReputationRep:
    i'm not interested in fashion management...i decided that a business course on it's own would be more beneficial which is why i have such a poor list of applications. Fashion management was a rare course to find and so i had to choose "bad" universities in order to find it. Would you reccommend Aston through UCAS extra?
    Aston has a really good rep for business, its is reputed for being quite vocational but still well regarded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladyluck)
    Aston has a really good rep for business, its is reputed for being quite vocational but still well regarded.
    ASton is a great uni, despite being a concrete blob in the middle of a traffic nightmare

ReputationRep:
    okay......well i think i'll go for Aston, thanks for your help. I would have liked to go to one of the "old" universities (Bath, Warwick etc...) but i only got a C in GCSE maths and this has limited my choices.
    Please contribute any opinions on Aston or anywhere else you think is worth considering.....you've been a big help. Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    okay......well i think i'll go for Aston, thanks for your help. I would have liked to go to one of the "old" universities (Bath, Warwick etc...) but i only got a C in GCSE maths and this has limited my choices.
    Please contribute any opinions on Aston or anywhere else you think is worth considering.....you've been a big help. Thanks!!
    it's got a good lift.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.