The Student Room Group

My teacher told me I'm going to fail IB SL French what the hell am I going to to ?!

I'm in a complete and utter state right now as I'm in my first year of IB at the moment and I've been doing standard level French since the start. We've nearly finished the year and my teacher had his learning conversations with us and he told me I will fail. I listen to french radio read french articles play French games I've recently (today) got a tutor but what else can I do can anyone recommend text books or anything I can do. I'm in desperate need for 38 points and French is dragging down my average. It was probably the most painful conversation I've ever had and its way to late for me to start a new language so I'm stuck.

:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Past papers are always a good idea. If they're available where you are, you could look for some of those AP study books for French. The format will be very different, but it will help you improve your command of the language. On that note, you could also look into getting one of those IB companion books if you're willing to spend a little more money. When practicing reading, practice pulling the main ideas out and write them down. Also practice writing for Paper 2 and ask if your teacher will look over it for you.
Why don't you try French Ab Initio, It will be a lot easier than SL to get a good grade :smile:?
Reply 3
Vennie, maybe OP did GCSE French so can't then do Ab Initio?

If someone told me I was going to fail I would do everything in my power to PROVE THEM WRONG! Your tutor will help, work bloody hard and show your teacher they misjudged you!

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 4
They don't offer ab initio in my sixth form

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
prove him/her wrong!!!
Just because your teacher thinks you'll fail, doesn't mean you will. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by @chante_Jos
I'm in a complete and utter state right now as I'm in my first year of IB at the moment and I've been doing standard level French since the start. We've nearly finished the year and my teacher had his learning conversations with us and he told me I will fail. I listen to french radio read french articles play French games I've recently (today) got a tutor but what else can I do can anyone recommend text books or anything I can do. I'm in desperate need for 38 points and French is dragging down my average. It was probably the most painful conversation I've ever had and its way to late for me to start a new language so I'm stuck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly, your teacher is an *******. I think you're doing about as much as you can, and doing past papers would be the ideal option.

However, since this is your first year of IB you really should consider asking about ab initio. If youre doing French SL right now, then you should definitely be able to cope with ab intio with no further preparation, and just by doing some past papers since it should be a lot easier. Even if your school doesnt offer it, you can still do it if you and your tutor follow the syllabus together (that should be enough) and if you manage to get the exam, but that you should confirm with your teacher. A friend of mine is taking a Czech IB and our school doesnt offer it either :smile:
Original post by @chante_Jos

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg this is kind of the same for me!! I haven't been told I'm going to fail it (yet..!) but I feel that if I don't start doing some extra practicing then I most likely will! :frown: I literally thought I was the only one finding it really hard!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending