(Original post by SaarahN)
It's always written as an essay
shooting starss nanananannaaaanaaa
olliepuss1234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would read as many newspaper and magazine articles as possible, this will give you a feel for how an article is supposed to look like.
Bullet points is good in an article but not all the way through. These should only be used as an example to a point that you have made. For example:

The neighbours cat has not been nurtured, I know this because:
. He sprays in our garden.
. He roams further than my cats.
. He has a deep meow.

Always keep to the point and add quotes. Quotes are important Jenny (32) from Romsdale said "I was shock at how fast he ran, I have never seen anything like it."

Get your reader feeling something:
Use emotive language, either make them laugh or make them cry, you could make them feel angry, anything as long as you make them feel.

Use as many language features as possible, Alliteration is a good one, it is short and snappy and keeps the reader interested: Two words close together that start with the same consonant. "Short and Snappy."

Grip your reader from the very beginning, do not lose them in your second sentence. Articles are often described as starting in the middle of the story rather than the beginning:

Fire at House in Derbyshire killed Five.

Five what?

That is your second sentence.

I hope this helps. Good Luck.
chloeanne19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There is a great website called BBC Bitesize that helps students. I would recommend using this for language features and techniques.

English language -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/guides/z2psfg8/revision

Literacy Techniques -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/guides/zpr49j6/revision
Flunking it
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey guys I need help! I have an assignment due tomorrow and I need to figure out what language feature this is,
Beckyyshields
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't know if this is the right forum to ask but I'm struggling with some language analysis for English Language.

The first sentence is "At the Exeter Police Court yesterday" and I was just wondering if "yesterday" is a noun or adverb in this sentence?

The next is the sentence "It was completely empty but for some reason I misjudged the amount I needed to turn and just drove into it". Is this a complex sentence?
elliemae223
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm doing my English language paper two mock exam tomorrow and these language features are explain in a way i can understand and memorise. Thank you and hope you do good in your exams.
olliepuss1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi All, I have a question. I am currently in the process of sitting Functional Skills Level 2 English. I am okay with language features, spelling and punctuation, but I am no good at conveying meanings, for some reason or another, I tend to get tongue-tied when trying to explain something. It is like I cannot see the woods for the trees. Can someone please explain to me how to convey a meaning?
Jakeskylander
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
What are the different type of structural features
Livs2004
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi, I’m doing a mock exam for English in a few days on power and conflict poems, a key way to get marks is to pick out there use of language devices but I only know the simplest language devices, what is the best way I can remember better language devices?
Livs2004
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Livs2004)Hi, I’m doing a mock exam for English in a few days on power and conflict poems, a key way to get marks is to pick out there use of language devices but I only know the simplest language devices, what is the best way I can remember better language devices?

(Original post by olliepuss1234)
Hi All, I have a question. I am currently in the process of sitting Functional Skills Level 2 English. I am okay with language features, spelling and punctuation, but I am no good at conveying meanings, for some reason or another, I tend to get tongue-tied when trying to explain something. It is like I cannot see the woods for the trees. Can someone please explain to me how to convey a meaning?
Hi, convey means suggest so whatever the question you get is you have to suggest something ? That’s the best I’ve got , sorry if that’s not much help
_Rozana
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi everyone. I would appreciate it if you could mention some ways to show I'm speaking about the reader's thoughts and feelings without saying "This makes the readers feel...." because we all know this gives no credits whatsoever.
Thanks in advance
Last edited by _Rozana; 7 months ago
Student\415285
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Wt is the meaning of language feature??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (42)
19.27%
Unconditional if firmed (18)
8.26%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
0.92%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (5)
2.29%
No unconditional offers (151)
69.27%

Watched Threads