Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Most of the threads on here are to do with the AQA or OCR exam boards, so I thought I'd make one focused on Edexcel. Apologies if there's one already!

Anyway, this is just to talk about any worries we have in the exam and just helping each other out really, because we're so kind and awesome.

My main worry is about the unit on miracles, not sure if anyone else is doing that, but I'm not sure how I would answer it because my teacher has given us no guidance whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    We haven't learnt about miracles whatsoever, our plan is to go to the exam knowing to choose evil and suffering. That's the one I'm probably most secure with anyway which is good. Are you going into the exam knowing in hindsight which topic you're doing out of utilitarianism and situation ethics / design argument and cosmological argument? Or completely deciding when you see the questions?

ReputationRep:
    So have you guys been advised to do 2 Philos and 1 Ethics or the other way round? I'd prefer 2 ethics but because in Ethics they merge them into 1 question sometimes I've been told not to, what do you guys think? Definitely doing Sexual Ethics and Problem of evil

ReputationRep:
    we've been told to do 2 philos and 1 ethics but to revise 5ish topics in case we can't do the questions. Hoping to do cosmological, utilitarianism and suffering

ReputationRep:
    Does this mean that evil will definitely be on the philosophy paper? I know that sexual ethics will be on the ethics one, so I don't have to revise morality. If evil is definitely going to have a question, I can spend more time on revising situation ethics and utilitarianism, because I want to do 2 ethics, 1 philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    What are the chances of morality coming up for ethics because I'm risking it and only revising one ethics.
    For philosophy I've revised Cosmological and Problem of evil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmalS)
    What are the chances of morality coming up for ethics because I'm risking it and only revising one ethics.

My teacher said morality and religion is very likely to come up

ReputationRep:
    I've learnt teleological argument, miracles and utilitarianism. I am literally praying they don't combine situation ethics and utilitarianism, as I'm not revising it!

ReputationRep:
    Literally cannot wait till all I have to do is learn my investigations, so annoying to think we've spent a year learning all these topics just to answer 3 questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmalS)
    sometimes they combine morality with situation ethics or utilitarianism (sit ethics is more likely). I'm revising sit ethics and util. just in case cos our teacher didn't have time to actually teach us morality...

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the late reply, I've revised the design argument, problem of evil and miracles. Miracles is just a back up, so I should be fine.
    I have not bothered revising Utilitarianism at all, I can't stand it. I'm really hoping they have a religion and morality one! My teacher said there was a possibility of a hybrid question since they haven't done one yet which is HORROR.

ReputationRep:
    Fingers crossed for religion and morality guys!
    I actually can't believe this exam has come so quickly?

ReputationRep:
    i'm trying not to think about the fact its tomorrow... hopefully i'll be fine as long as they don't have any weirdly worded questions :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Last year's paper was really nice so I bet we get a horrid one

Praying for no religion and morality and no combined ethics

ReputationRep:
    Oops! Wrong exam board

ReputationRep:
    My teacher said it's likely that this month's paper will be horrid because last year's was nice. And they've also started focusing more on wording of questions that apparently sort out the Bs from the As.

Hopefully that means the grade boundaries would go down if the exam is harder. );

ReputationRep:
    Having a panic right now, 8:55?!?! Gonna be staring at the textbook for 12 hours then.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so the Problem of Evil questions are always the same - outline one or 2 views and evaluate or vice versa.

The easiest thing to do is to do the Problem of Evil question because you know basically you just need 2 different viewpoints and their criticisms.

Often they combine the utilitarianism questions and situation ethics so it's important if you revise one to revise the other too if you intend on doing it.

Finally, the majority of people who get the best marks end up doing 2 philosophy and 1 ethics - just saying

Hope this helps,

Wjeley

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and apparently the religion and morality questions are the trickiest to get good marks on.

ReputationRep:
    So with religion and morality is it best to start off with the Euthyphro Dilemma and go down the natural law/divine command route as a response or what?

It's hard to tell because the mark schemes are so obscure!

Also does anybody know if you get props for quoting philosophers who aren't necessarily on the spec? Cicero, Voltaire etc. for the teleological argument.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 12, 2013

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.