OCR History A Civil Rights 3/06/13 Watch

Kimiechi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Is anyone else taking the American Civil Rights unit on this exam? I'm essentially having to self-teach this topic due to practically non-existent teaching, so any revision tips would be great! I'm particularly concerned with how to structure the essays, since I've had no guidance whatsoever, but any other advice would be welcome too
NadezhdaK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't do OCR so can't help you with structure -- sorry!!

But Access to History textbook is really good and useful and to summarise TSR has good basic notes Good luck and sorry you have so much to do!
Eep!
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kimiechi)
Is anyone else taking the American Civil Rights unit on this exam? I'm essentially having to self-teach this topic due to practically non-existent teaching, so any revision tips would be great! I'm particularly concerned with how to structure the essays, since I've had no guidance whatsoever, but any other advice would be welcome too
It's incredibly hard!! I can sort of help you with the structure, we've been told to form our paragraphs thematically i.e. Social rights, Economic Rights and Political Rights and adjust according to the question. I don't know if that helps you but I hope it does!! It's such a hard exam, god knows why I ever choose history !? How are you revising?
Kimiechi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eep!)
It's incredibly hard!! I can sort of help you with the structure, we've been told to form our paragraphs thematically i.e. Social rights, Economic Rights and Political Rights and adjust according to the question. I don't know if that helps you but I hope it does!! It's such a hard exam, god knows why I ever choose history !? How are you revising?
Okay, that's completely different to what I've been told... a history teacher (not one who actually knows the course, but oh well) went through one of my essays today and told me what to do to improve it, which was basically the reverse of what I'd been trying to do based on his previous advice. But a thematic approach has never even been mentioned... I'm so confused!!
Mreyow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Okay, that's completely different to what I've been told... a history teacher (not one who actually knows the course, but oh well) went through one of my essays today and told me what to do to improve it, which was basically the reverse of what I'd been trying to do based on his previous advice. But a thematic approach has never even been mentioned... I'm so confused!!
I'm sitting this exam thematic approach tends to be more sophisticated. I've found for NA, AA and Women, the social, political, economic themes work best. I think Women and NA are the easiest topics
Silverback94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mreyow)
I'm sitting this exam thematic approach tends to be more sophisticated. I've found for NA, AA and Women, the social, political, economic themes work best. I think Women and NA are the easiest topics
Would you take the political, social and economic approach for all types of questions? So for questions like 'How far did US presidents hinder rather than help the development of African American Civil Rights' you'd do one paragraph each about how different presidents helped political, social and economic rights?. I'd just been doing paragraphs for and against, but I think the way you've suggested would be much better. Would you just conclude by saying which aspects presidents helped the most?
Blue56
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm sitting this exam as well - American Civil Rights 1865 - 1992!

Sincerely hoping they don't knock African Americans off like last year. Got a feeling it will be Trade Unions or Native Americans that don't appear as Women didn't come up in January 2013 and African Americans in June 2012. Comfortable with all except Native Americans, it was too rushed we didn't even finish it. Also find there's less to talk about as they didn't want civil rights as much as self-determination.

Yes thematic approach is definitely best. Cover the entire period as well, with knowledge of key turning points for each topic.
Silverback94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dpdr)

Sincerely hoping they don't knock African Americans off like last year. Got a feeling it will be Trade Unions or Native Americans that don't appear as Women didn't come up in January 2013 and African Americans in June 2012. Comfortable with all except Native Americans, it was too rushed we didn't even finish it. Also find there's less to talk about as they didn't want civil rights as much as self-determination.

Yes thematic approach is definitely best. Cover the entire period as well, with knowledge of key turning points for each topic.
Could I use the themes actions of african americans, attitudes of federal government and the economy as my themes for AA's or is it better to go by the political, social and economical route. I find the former much easier but not sure if it's what the examiners are looking for?
Kimiechi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dpdr)

Do you have the questions for the January 2013 paper? I haven't been able to find them online, but I'd like to know what came up.
Blue56
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you have the questions for the January 2013 paper? I haven't been able to find them online, but I'd like to know what came up.
Unfortunately not, for some reason, OCR put up the exam report but not the actually paper. So i've just read the report and the questions were African Americans, Trade Unions and Native Americans. Sorry
Blue56
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Silverback94)
Could I use the themes actions of african americans, attitudes of federal government and the economy as my themes for AA's or is it better to go by the political, social and economical route. I find the former much easier but not sure if it's what the examiners are looking for?
You are using those themes already don't worry - Actions of African Americans = Social. Federal Government = Political and well economy = ecnomical :P. Either is fine.
Mreyow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The questions from January 2013 were:

To what extent was the presidency of Dwight D. Eisenhower (1953-61) the most important turning point in the achievement of African American civil rights in the period from 1865 to 1992?

'The Federal government helped the development of labour and trade union rights.' To what extent do you agree with this view of the period from 1865 to 1992?

Assess the importance of the actions of Native Americans themselves in gaining greater civil rights in the period from 1865 to 1992.

As for the social, political, economic approach. It can be adapted to MOST questions. You can't really use that thematic approach for trade union and labour rights, but you can use it for turning point and factor questions.
Mreyow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Would you take the political, social and economic approach for all types of questions? So for questions like 'How far did US presidents hinder rather than help the development of African American Civil Rights' you'd do one paragraph each about how different presidents helped political, social and economic rights?. I'd just been doing paragraphs for and against, but I think the way you've suggested would be much better. Would you just conclude by saying which aspects presidents helped the most?
For that type of question you can approach it using 2 different styles. You can certainly adopt the for and against approach which is just as good. Or you could indeed do political, social and economic.
Kimiechi
Rep:
?
The questions from January 2013 were:

To what extent was the presidency of Dwight D. Eisenhower (1953-61) the most important turning point in the achievement of African American civil rights in the period from 1865 to 1992?

'The Federal government helped the development of labour and trade union rights.' To what extent do you agree with this view of the period from 1865 to 1992?

Assess the importance of the actions of Native Americans themselves in gaining greater civil rights in the period from 1865 to 1992.

As for the social, political, economic approach. It can be adapted to MOST questions. You can't really use that thematic approach for trade union and labour rights, but you can use it for turning point and factor questions.
Thank you!
Silverback94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For that type of question you can approach it using 2 different styles. You can certainly adopt the for and against approach which is just as good. Or you could indeed do political, social and economic.
Ah right, that's a relief then. Would I also be able to take the for and against approach for questions like 'How far did federal government hinder the development of women's rights 1865-1992', or should I compare it to other factors that hindered development.

Also I've been looking through past questions and can't get my head around how you would approach the question 'To what extent were Native Americans a persecuted minority in the years from 1865-1992' ?
Mreyow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ah right, that's a relief then. Would I also be able to take the for and against approach for questions like 'How far did federal government hinder the development of women's rights 1865-1992', or should I compare it to other factors that hindered development.

Also I've been looking through past questions and can't get my head around how you would approach the question 'To what extent were Native Americans a persecuted minority in the years from 1865-1992' ?
For that question, you'd take the for and against approach. Unless it states 'most important' factor then its inviting you to argue for and against.

As for the Natives question, you'd have to provide and argument for and against. So in the years predominantly 1865 - 1970's they were a persecuted minority being subjected to forced assimilation through the reservation policy, Dawes Act, Indian Reorganization Act and termination. It wasn't until Nixon came along, and the formulation of NARF that Natives started to actually get what they want, which by then was really far into the time period. As they faced immense discrimination, poverty, disease and lost all their land and rights.
sts123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing this exam Is everybody learning all four topics? I'm being a bit risky and have totally neglected Trade Unions........ And what are we thinking question-wise? There tends to be a turning point, a hindrance and a factors question...... It'd be interesting to try and work out what will be what. I don't think African Americans will be the turning point one- I'm wondering whether, if women come up, that'll be a turning point question...... I don't have a clue! Any ideas?
CT1402
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey,

I'm doing civil rights In the USA, just started writting an essay on native American turning points and have gone completely blank, I've been told to anwser a turning points question by assessing the named turning point through differnt themes/ factors but for the question;

Assess the view that the Indian Citizenship Act if 1924 was the most significant turning point in the quest of Native Americans for recgnition of their right to self-determination between 186 and 1992.

I'm struggling to find themes do assess it by, I was thinking maybe federal action, solidarity and self-determination and maybe social and welfare?

Could anyone please give me some advice on how to anwser this essay, or a suggested structure?

Thanks (:
Bubblegum_16z
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey does anyone have any predictions on what is or perhaps isn't going to come up?
Silverback94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For that question, you'd take the for and against approach. Unless it states 'most important' factor then its inviting you to argue for and against.

As for the Natives question, you'd have to provide and argument for and against. So in the years predominantly 1865 - 1970's they were a persecuted minority being subjected to forced assimilation through the reservation policy, Dawes Act, Indian Reorganization Act and termination. It wasn't until Nixon came along, and the formulation of NARF that Natives started to actually get what they want, which by then was really far into the time period. As they faced immense discrimination, poverty, disease and lost all their land and rights.
Ah right, that makes sense now, cheers!. So I can take the for and against approach unless it's a turning point question and unless the question directly states 'most important reason' or 'assess the reasons'. Have you got any predictions for what you think might come up?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Liverpool
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (274)
31.53%
The paper was reasonable (423)
48.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (105)
12.08%
It was TERRIBLE (67)
7.71%

Watched Threads