The Student Room Group

OCR History A Civil Rights 3/06/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Silverback94
How would people go about answering the 'asses whether MLK was the most important leader' question. Could you just do a paragraph for and against?

Also how would people approach the question 'to what extent did the aims of campaigners for AA civil rights remain the same in the period' ?

I'd compare MLK to Booker T Washington, Marcus Garvey and A Philip Randolph in terms of the following criteria:

- Popular support amongst black community
- Popular support amongst white community/ relationship with President
- Legacy
- Legislation they helped pass

And you could either divide your paragraphs into the above criteria or do a paragraph per leader :smile:

As for the second question I would simply avoid it like the plague...:tongue:
Well trade unions has come up the past three exams, where native american has only come up the past two exams after it was last missed out...so fingers crossed !
Can't wait to get this exam over, syllabus is huge! I'm 90% certain Women's Rights will come up and unfortunately I don't think Trade Unions will come up. What questions do you think they will ask guys?
I'm hoping a Women's turning point question...it shouldn't be a multi-factor as the last women question to come up was a multi-factor one. Hopefully some form of help/hinder for Native Americans !
Original post by Wonderstruck
'The Federal government helped the development of labour and trade union rights.' To what extent do you agree with this view of the period from 1865 to 1992?

Would that have been simply an evaluate Federal gov question?

I'm sometimes unsure which questions are asking for other factors etc. :|

It is. So you'd need to discuss how each part of the government (Executive/Supreme Court/Congress) helps and hinders. You also need to seperate the question into help/hinder Trade Unions and help/hinder Labour rights. :biggrin:
I'm really hoping for a leadership, turning point and fed govt help/hinder questions come up!

Does anyone have an idea for how to structure an argument for questions that involve obstacles? Say for African Americans?
Original post by Morgasm19
Haha, I reckon African Americans, Women and Native Americans, why the hate for Trade Unions? I think a turning point question would be good for TUs but my ideal question - was the New Deal the most important turning point has essentially already come up three times so :/

I'd ideally like a motivating factors/leaders question for African Americans, a turning point question for women and an obstacles question for Labour rights, but I doubt any of those types of question will come up :P

I'm kind of relieved that quite a few people on here have one topic they've revised a bit more loosely though :smile:

They would be a good bunch of questions! How would you go about structuring an obstacle question for Labour rights? Many thanks :smile:
Original post by jakethecake2008
They would be a good bunch of questions! How would you go about structuring an obstacle question for Labour rights? Many thanks :smile:

I know right! Fingers crossed! :smile:

Oooh okay for Labour Rights I would probably do:

1. The Laissez-Faire Capitalist approach of the Federal Government

- President Cleveland's use of Federal troops to break the 1894 Pullman Strike set a precdent for government siding with employers + deterred potential TU members
- 1895 In Re Debs upholding use of injunctions against TUs
- Lochner v New York 1905
- Adair Case 1908 upholding 'Yellow Dog Contracts'
- Red Scares - TUs associated with Communism
- Reagan's treatment of the PATCO Strike 1981

2. The anti-union, antagonistic Employer Policy

- Use of Pinkerton Detectives in Homestead Strike
- Breaking of Pullman Strike
- Welfare Capitalism + Henry Ford's Protection Department

3. Divisions in the workforce/Labour movement

- White Collar workers increase in 1960s- decline in TU membership
- Africa Americans excluded from trade unions in early period, had to form their own
- CIO broke away from AFL but AFL-CIO formed in 1955

Then in my conclusion I'd say the Federal Government was the main obstacle due to the fact that its laissez faire approach allowed employers to exploit workers and the employers were thus allowed to exploit workforce divisions

Hope thats helpful :smile:
Reply 68
So how would you go about this question?

Assess the importance of the Federal Government in the advancement of African American Civil rights.

could you break this down into political rights, social and economical?

Whats the best way to write an assess question?
Original post by HYPERbol
So how would you go about this question?

Assess the importance of the Federal Government in the advancement of African American Civil rights.

could you break this down into political rights, social and economical?

Whats the best way to write an assess question?

For assess the importance of the government questions, you could do social, political economic, though my teacher's advised

1. The government helped

2. The government hindered

3 + 4 = other factors that were important e.g. War, or African American protest/leadership etc

But for assess the ROLE of the gov you could definitely do social, political economic or again do the same structure as the above i.e. the gov played an important role in both helping + hindering but overall African American protest played a more significant role.
Original post by Silverback94
How would people go about answering the 'asses whether MLK was the most important leader' question. Could you just do a paragraph for and against?

Also how would people approach the question 'to what extent did the aims of campaigners for AA civil rights remain the same in the period' ?

I've planned the one about the extent to which their aims remained the same and had it marked by my teacher who said it was the right way to go about it. I essentially picked three aims and then discussed how they changed or stayed the same during the period. I chose the aims of: Gaining the right to vote, ending discrimination/segregation, and improving their economic position. Then in each paragraph discuss how the aim changed or didn't ie. in 1919 Marcus Garvey set up the Black Star Line to develop black economic autonomy and in a similar way, in 1971 Jesse Jackson set up PUSH which helped thousands of AA's find jobs. Therefore it's clear to see this was a consistent aim throughout the period....Just things along those lines! Hope this is helpful, and sorry I didn't lay it out in an easier to read way, it's letting me put paragraph spaces in for some reason!
It is. So you'd need to discuss how each part of the government (Executive/Supreme Court/Congress) helps and hinders. You also need to seperate the question into help/hinder Trade Unions and help/hinder Labour rights. :biggrin:

Thanks for the reply :smile:
So do you have to separate it into Supreme Court/Congress/Executive etc? As I was only taught Lochner v. New York 1905, so that may be a small section aha.
Reply 72
Just read through all this and I don't think I answer thematically. I just pick points out and argue whether they were a turning point/important factor or not relating to the question. I haven't revised trade unions so hoping for NA's, AA's and women! I really hope a question on whether the aims of blacks changed throughout the period or not doesn't come up, i'd be stuffed :frown:
Original post by Wonderstruck
Thanks for the reply :smile:
So do you have to separate it into Supreme Court/Congress/Executive etc? As I was only taught Lochner v. New York 1905, so that may be a small section aha.

That's just how I have been taught. This way just makes sure you cover all parts of govt. as long as you get the main points across it doesn't really matter :smile: Unlikely to get this question in a trade union question but likely for African Americans. I have about 15 Supreme Court cases for them, a little bit for congress and a fair bit for presidents.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's just how I have been taught. This way just makes sure you cover all parts of govt. as long as you get the main points across it doesn't really matter :smile: Unlikely to get this question in a trade union question but likely for African Americans. I have about 15 Supreme Court cases for them, a little bit for congress and a fair bit for presidents.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I can't imagine it for TU, it's more of the overall laissez-faire attitude/FDR's New Deal/Reagon and some acts/court cases to throw in.

I've got that amount too, I'm trying to retain them in my head as we speak aha! Congress is more the southern Democrats (and the early Radical Republicans), then a more moderate/liberal one from 1964 and towards the end I suppose.
I have a feeling that a turning point question may come up for Women tomorrow. Anyone have examples of such turning points? I have Roe vs Wade 1973, 19th Amendment (voting rights), WW2, Johnson's legislation and potentially prohibition? Does anyone have examples of turning points pre WW1? Need to get coverage haha :tongue:
Original post by Mreyow
For that type of question you can approach it using 2 different styles. You can certainly adopt the for and against approach which is just as good. Or you could indeed do political, social and economic.

Ahhh our teacher has only told us to do it thematically, what is the for and against structure?!
Reply 77
I have a feeling that a turning point question may come up for Women tomorrow. Anyone have examples of such turning points? I have Roe vs Wade 1973, 19th Amendment (voting rights), WW2, Johnson's legislation and potentially prohibition? Does anyone have examples of turning points pre WW1? Need to get coverage haha :tongue:

I chose the formation of NAWSA 1890 as a turning-point because it was the first time women had united to pursue their own political rights
Reply 78
What legislation(s) did Washington help pass?
Original post by Adenosine
What legislation(s) did Washington help pass?

Booker T Washington? He didn't influence policy as such but was more inclined towards improving the economic status of A.A's. His Tuskegee Institute (1881) helped A.A's learn basic literacy and vocational skills to make them more employable. Dubois hated him because he was controversial to the civil rights movement because Washington accepted segregation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending