Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How hard would it be for an overseas student to get into Oxbridge? I live in The Netherlands right now and I'm in my 1st year of IB, so at the beginning of next school year we have to apply for university.
    I'll try my best to get the grades...

There's a limited amount of places for 'international' schools, right? Is there are a difference in fees if you're from the EU or not? I had a look at the fees for international students... How on earth is anybody supposed to be able to afford that???? Medicine is about 18 000 pounds!!!!!!! Geeezzz... And I thought the world was actually becoming more international...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blabber92)
    There's a limited amount of places for 'international' schools, right?
    Yep, international students make up about 10% of students iirc.
    Are you from an 'international school' or a school that isn't foreign?

Is there are a difference in fees if you're from the EU or not? I had a look at the fees for international students...
    Yes, you pay considerably less, there should be plenty of information in the prospectus

ReputationRep:
    I go to an international school in a foreign country... The thing is, I'm from Serbia, so I have a non-EU passport. But I've lived in Holland for about 6 years now, and Holland is an EU country. It's so stupid...

I'm still classified as 'overseas' and it just annoys me that they are putting up this financial barrier against international students... I feel completely European, but my country isn't a part of the EU, and that makes it impossible to study elsewhere... It's always been my dream to go to a top university like Oxford or Cambridge, but I guess that won't be happening.

ReputationRep:
    How hard would it be for an overseas student to get into Oxbridge? I live in The Netherlands right now and I'm in my 1st year of IB, so at the beginning of next school year we have to apply for university.
    I'll try my best to get the grades...

There's a limited amount of places for 'international' schools, right? Is there are a difference in fees if you're from the EU or not? I had a look at the fees for international students... How on earth is anybody supposed to be able to afford that???? Medicine is about 18 000 pounds!!!!!!! Geeezzz... And I thought the world was actually becoming more international...
    I'm Danish, and I've got an offer from St. John's Cambridge, so the information I have more or less relates specifically to my situation, but here goes:

If you are an EU student (depends on how long you have lived there etc.) you will not be required to pay a higher tuition fee than UK students (i.e. 1150 at Cambridge presently). The exact conditions you must meet to qualify as an EU student can be found on the University of Cambridge web-page.

I'm not sure if each college has a fixed number of places for non-UK students but I got in, so it is worth a try. Under EU-Law, it is illegal for a member state to restrict access for students from other member states, so if there are restrictions they won't be overt.

If you get the grades, are willing to pay the tuition fee (I don't know if education is free in the Netherlands as it is in Denmark) and to put up with the maintenance costs, then you should apply.

You can always contact the relevant admissions offices, and you are welcome to send me a personal message if you think I can help you.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer from King's College, Cambridge and I'm from Turkey. Since I'm a non-EU student, I have to pay about 16000 GBP (I'm doing SPS, which is an arts course, if you're doing a science course the fee is higher..) The amount is certainly very high, but compared to American unis it's much cheaper... So if you have the financial security to afford, it by all means apply.. International students certainly have a good chance if they come across well in the interview..

ReputationRep:
    16k seems a bit steep for an arts course. as far as i can remember, i paid about that much at the start of the year for my tuition fees this year, and i'm a medic...

EU students are supposed to be equivalents to British nationals with regards to admissions and fees policy, as far as i know, so there should be no quotas, nor elevated fees for them.

however, if you're a "true" international from outside the EU, then join the club and bleed some cash... there aren't any quotas for us per se, but for some faculties like in medicine, there are external agencies (General Medical Council) that limit foreign admissions - it's 7% = 20 odd places for medicine, the last time i looked.

ReputationRep:
    I go to an international school in a foreign country... The thing is, I'm from Serbia, so I have a non-EU passport. But I've lived in Holland for about 6 years now, and Holland is an EU country. It's so stupid...

I'm still classified as 'overseas' and it just annoys me that they are putting up this financial barrier against international students... I feel completely European, but my country isn't a part of the EU, and that makes it impossible to study elsewhere... It's always been my dream to go to a top university like Oxford or Cambridge, but I guess that won't be happening.
    As far as I know, you do not have to hold a EU-passport, in order to be classified as an EU-student. If you have been resident in a EU-country throughout a three-year period prior to the start of your course, you're classified as an EU-student. Take a look at this document.

So, if I am not mistaken, this means that you just have to pay the same tuition fees as any other UK or EU student, which is currently set to 1100 pounds, but will be raised to 3000 pounds after 2005.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omer)
    I have an offer from King's College, Cambridge and I'm from Turkey. Since I'm a non-EU student, I have to pay about 16000 GBP (I'm doing SPS, which is an arts course, if you're doing a science course the fee is higher..) The amount is certainly very high, but compared to American unis it's much cheaper... So if you have the financial security to afford, it by all means apply.. International students certainly have a good chance if they come across well in the interview..
    Congratulations, that's brilliant! You're right, it is cheaper than American unis, but I just can't afford that kind of money .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    16k seems a bit steep for an arts course. as far as i can remember, i paid about that much at the start of the year for my tuition fees this year, and i'm a medic...

EU students are supposed to be equivalents to British nationals with regards to admissions and fees policy, as far as i know, so there should be no quotas, nor elevated fees for them.

however, if you're a "true" international from outside the EU, then join the club and bleed some cash... there aren't any quotas for us per se, but for some faculties like in medicine, there are external agencies (General Medical Council) that limit foreign admissions - it's 7% = 20 odd places for medicine, the last time i looked.
    Yeah that sounds just about right... Medicine is what I'm thinking of doing and if you think about it, 20 places is so little. I think it's even less actually for overseas, like 7 places or something... Lol it would be pretty hard to get in then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by way2go)
    As far as I know, you do not have to hold a EU-passport, in order to be classified as an EU-student. If you have been resident in a EU-country throughout a three-year period prior to the start of your course, you're classified as an EU-student. Take a look at this document.

So, if I am not mistaken, this means that you just have to pay the same tuition fees as any other UK or EU student, which is currently set to 1100 pounds, but will be raised to 3000 pounds after 2005.
    Thanks, I had no idea there was a chance of them classifying me as an EU student... I'm going to closely read that document and see exactly whether I would be overseas or EU...

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.