The Student Room Group

Conditional offers to international students

How often do schools give conditional offers to overseas students based on their predicted AP scores?

My situation is as follows: I'm taking two APs this year (Calculus AB and World History) and plan to take more next year. I'm also taking SAT Subject tests, as some universities accept them as well.
My question is, are the following universities known to accept international students based on their predicted AP scores and/or SAT tests already taken?
Oxford
UCL
King's
Durham
Bristol
Nottingham
Manchester
Warwick
Original post by Ratach
How often do schools give conditional offers to overseas students based on their predicted AP scores?

My situation is as follows: I'm taking two APs this year (Calculus AB and World History) and plan to take more next year. I'm also taking SAT Subject tests, as some universities accept them as well.
My question is, are the following universities known to accept international students based on their predicted AP scores and/or SAT tests already taken?
Oxford
UCL
King's
Durham
Bristol
Nottingham
Manchester
Warwick

If you look on the university websites you will find comprehensive information about what they require from American students.
Or if you cant, drop them an email and ASK what the admissions requirement for the course would be.

PS> We dont call them 'schools' - they are all 'Universities'.
Okay they do have information pertaining to American qualifications on their webpages, but these tend to be the absolute minimum they expect. Also I don't know many people who received a conditional offer from a British university but that's because most of those who apply to UK try to get done with all APs before applying. So what I'm trying to get is real experience from students who actually applied (or from people who know such students) instead of a copy-paste response from an admission officer of the university.

(by the way, yes, I emailed a couple of universities I listed above and they all failed to answer my question about conditional offers. And yes, I do know I cannot guarantee admission into a specific university even if I have 5s in 10+ AP exams, excellent internships, teacher recommendations etc. but I want to know if relying on conditional offer is a realistic option)

(one last thing, I'm in an American school outside the US, so while I'm applying with American qualifications, I'm not American)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ratach
Okay they do have information pertaining to American qualifications on their webpages, but these tend to be the absolute minimum they expect. Also I don't know many people who received a conditional offer from a British university but that's because most of those who apply to UK try to get done with all APs before applying. So what I'm trying to get is real experience from students who actually applied (or from people who know such students) instead of a copy-paste response from an admission officer of the university.

Post in the individual forums on TSR and ask students there then. Posting a big list of universities in the main forum without showing that you've done the leg work yourself isn't going to really get you a good response. Neither will neg repping all of the people who are willing to help you but would like to see you put in some work too.

(by the way, yes, I emailed a couple of universities I listed above and they all failed to answer my question about conditional offers. And yes, I do know I cannot guarantee admission into a specific university even if I have 5s in 10+ AP exams, excellent internships, teacher recommendations etc. but I want to know if relying on conditional offer is a realistic option)

It's likely because they can't tell you because they don't know. Some people will get conditional offers in the situation that you're referring to and others won't - it will completely depend on the applicant, how they compare to other applicants (and how desperate the university is for internationals) as well as the university policy. If there's anything you'd like to query in detail then email the university back and ask - for example, initial enquires are usually dealt with one member of staff then they are escalated to someone higher up in the admissions office if there's a more complex query.

(one last thing, I'm in an American school outside the US, so while I'm applying with American qualifications, I'm not American)

That won't really make any difference in terms of your application unless you're living in the EU, have done for at least 3 years and are applying to universities outside of England.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending