The Student Room Group

IGCSE Physics - 1P - 14th May 2013

Hey there guys,

I thought I'd get in early and start a thread for this exam.

It should be a decent paper, assuming it's not like the January 2012 papers! (For those who have not completed them, they were so unbelievably... weird... that the overall grade boundary was 119/180 rather than the usual ~140/180).

Any topics you guys are worried about?

Peace.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The June 2012 physics exam was quite difficult, as in there was a lot of experiment and conclusion analysis :/ I prefer the old (4H, 5H, 6H) papers better as they were a lot simpler etc. The newer Edexcel ones are a lot more difficult and more explanation based :|
Reply 2
Original post by apoorvahk
The June 2012 physics exam was quite difficult, as in there was a lot of experiment and conclusion analysis :/ I prefer the old (4H, 5H, 6H) papers better as they were a lot simpler etc. The newer Edexcel ones are a lot more difficult and more explanation based :|

I totally agree. They have become far too practical based. The worst questions are the ones where they have a practical, a student 'does' it and then they ask: "do you agree with the student's conclusion?" :angry:
Reply 3
Original post by TheGrillMan
I totally agree. They have become far too practical based. The worst questions are the ones where they have a practical, a student 'does' it and then they ask: "do you agree with the student's conclusion?" :angry:

The older papers are much more straightforward and calculation based, which is in my opinion, much more relevant to what we've learnt in class rather than evaluating silly experiments. I find that Edexcel have 'dummed' it down a lot but made it much more difficult to gain marks since you're more likely to lose marks in the evaluation/written answers than calculations.
Reply 4
The older papers are much more straightforward and calculation based, which is in my opinion, much more relevant to what we've learnt in class rather than evaluating silly experiments. I find that Edexcel have 'dummed' it down a lot but made it much more difficult to gain marks since you're more likely to lose marks in the evaluation/written answers than calculations.

I agree. I've come to the conclusion that with the 4-6 mark written answers your best bet is to basically just write down absolutely everything you know. The chances are, something you have written down will be on the mark scheme. This technique is particularly effective for Edexcel IGCSE Biology because virtually every 'explain' question is marked using 'key words'.

Oh dude.. Just know that the answer to that will be exactly of what you think it is.. Edexcel never gives straightforward answers :P. u done Jan 13 physics P1. There was that question on density of rocks and it asked whether yu agree with kalpana or the other girl..first. I thought it to be the other girl but kalpana was right :P see.. Completely opposite

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Yeah I find the new structure of the papers really weird. Quite often my teacher disagrees with what's given in the mark scheme! Also I think we're the first batch to be doing the new specification, do you think they'll make it intentionally easy? :s Apparently the new syllabus has an even greater emphasis on practicals, oh lord. The SAM was quite odd too. I'm worried for radioactivity/electromagnetism questions.
Original post by Navo D.
Yeah I find the new structure of the papers really weird. Quite often my teacher disagrees with what's given in the mark scheme! Also I think we're the first batch to be doing the new specification, do you think they'll make it intentionally easy? :s Apparently the new syllabus has an even greater emphasis on practicals, oh lord. The SAM was quite odd too. I'm worried for radioactivity/electromagnetism questions.

SAM was challenging.. But really good if you have read the edexcel igcse textbook thoroughly and the revision guide as well. Such as the astronaut question in the January 2013 paper was in the revision guide. Yes we are the fist batch doing the new syllabus indeed! Just try to understand the concepts and explore them further through research on the net.. Get the specification in hand and compare what you have read to what's written in them because you have to understand that they can never bring anything outside that..

Good Luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Omg I despise the questions someone mentioned earlier about the students analysis and whether or not you agree with it! (The pictures of the students are sufficiently uncomfortable although amusing as well but that isn't a big deal haha...). Also, the question about the density of the rock, I didn't answer kalpana either oh dear.
I am not looking forward to anything on electromagnetism and electricity...
Just a question, when calculating orbital speed what units are everything in (time and radius)? Or does it not matter so long as you put the correct unit for your calculation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hey, I'm seriously worried now after going through the jan 2013 papers & having realised our teacher has given us the old spec to revise from! :angry: I'm hoping not too much comes up on radioactivity and nuclear fission as loads came up in the jan 2013 papers on that... wishful thinking! Good luck everyone :smile:
Original post by amalik_
Omg I despise the questions someone mentioned earlier about the students analysis and whether or not you agree with it! (The pictures of the students are sufficiently uncomfortable although amusing as well but that isn't a big deal haha...). Also, the question about the density of the rock, I didn't answer kalpana either oh dear.
I am not looking forward to anything on electromagnetism and electricity...
Just a question, when calculating orbital speed what units are everything in (time and radius)? Or does it not matter so long as you put the correct unit for your calculation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Time should be in hours. Radius in km.. Well I recommend that but meters for radius and time as seconds is perfectly alright as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
How have you guys prepared in terms of knowledge of practicals?

I've simply revised the ones listed in the main section of the specification (e.g. Using a glass block and ray box to work out refractive index etc.). Inevitably there will be one question where they ask you to describe a practical for 5 marks (almost guaranteed on paper 1P).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've simply revised the ones listed in the main section of the specification (e.g. Using a glass block and ray box to work out refractive index etc.). Inevitably there will be one question where they ask you to describe a practical for 5 marks (almost guaranteed on paper 1P).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yea. You're talking about the part in the spec that states "suggested practicals"... I' ll search the web and create short notes on all of them tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh god haven't prepared any of this apart from the one you mentioned and speed of sound in air... Also they always ask ways to improve accuracy and reliability for experiments so keep a few in mind as that ALWAYS comes up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by amalik_
Oh god haven't prepared any of this apart from the one you mentioned and speed of sound in air... Also they always ask ways to improve accuracy and reliability for experiments so keep a few in mind as that ALWAYS comes up.

Just remember that reliability = repetition and accuracy means using equipment with more accurate graduations.

Also paras I meant the ones in the main body of the spec. The suggest practicals don't come up very often so I wouldn't bother with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just remember that reliability = repetition and accuracy means using equipment with more accurate graduations.

Also paras I meant the ones in the main body of the spec. The suggest practicals don't come up very often so I wouldn't bother with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh those ones :P alright.. Yea but I'll just go through those ones as well. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone please link me to the Jan 2013 paper? Our teacher hasn't given it to us :frown: And we ONLY found out about the new spec a couple of weeks ago. The SAM was quite wordy and I prefer calculations to this stuff. They're probably not going to ask about speed of sound experiment as it was in last year's paper, but maybe the sycamore seeds? Thanks~
Reply 17
Can anyone please link me to the Jan 2013 paper? Our teacher hasn't given it to us :frown: And we ONLY found out about the new spec a couple of weeks ago. The SAM was quite wordy and I prefer calculations to this stuff. They're probably not going to ask about speed of sound experiment as it was in last year's paper, but maybe the sycamore seeds? Thanks~

Here you go :yep:

http://www.mediafire. com?4s0gj28a8vohz

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just downloaded it but which paper is it D: Thanks though!
Reply 19
i have a question..umm is nuclear energy regarded as a renewable energy source or nonrenewable energy source??

Latest

Trending

Trending