President_Ben
Badges: 13
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Do you or did you go to one of them? Does it matter to you? What are your thoughts on it? What about the HMC?

The Eton Group are...

* Eton College
* Bryanston School
* Dulwich College
* Highgate School
* King's College School, Wimbledon
* The King's School, Canterbury
* Marlborough College
* St Paul's School
* Sherborne School
* Tonbridge School
* University College School, Hampstead
* Westminster School
jeffreyweingard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I am surprised that Winchester and Harrow are not on the list.
KC Prince
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
HMC has some pretty awful schools in it. I believe its only when you leave your public school that you realise how important it was that you went there. The Old Boys Network is online even, you can ask for work experience, ask for a foot up for an internship at a bank, and although sceptics may say it wont work, it does help alot.

There are however many other top good schools that are not in the eton group, harrow, winchester, latymer, just to name a few.
President_Ben
Maybe 12 is enough? Or maybe, the others feel their interests are already represented.

The Old Boys Network is online even, you can ask for work experience, ask for a foot up for an internship at a bank, and although sceptics may say it wont work, it does help alot.
Really? Any chance of a link?
Champagne Breakfast
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What's the Eton Group for? Also are you sure Epsom isn't on it?
President_Ben
http://www.etoncollege.com/eton.asp?di=1214

Near the bottom of the page

And a similar kind of looking thing on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eton_Group

I don't actually know much about it though. But they discuss more than academic matters. Eton Group schools (and some non-Eton ones) were all fined by the DTi for price fixing a couple years ago. Nominal sums though. Only £23,000 I think.
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by The Ace is Back)
What's the Eton Group for?
That's what I was wondering. The only information that a quick google found was "Heads of the academic departments meet annually in rotation to discuss curriculum matters of common interest."

The membership of the group seems fairly random as well, a mixture of day and boarding schools, and the very academic and not so academic.
KC Prince
Report 14 years ago
Oh sorry i didnt mean haha as one general link, but when you leave most of the top public schools you get a username and password which link you to their own school old boys network and you log onto it, a bit like facebook but its for everyone thats been to your school and its more geered towards job opportunities and stuff
cksjohns
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by President_Ben)
http://www.etoncollege.com/eton.asp?di=1214

Near the bottom of the page

And a similar kind of looking thing on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eton_Group

I don't actually know much about it though. But they discuss more than academic matters. Eton Group schools (and some non-Eton ones) were all fined by the DTi for price fixing a couple years ago. Nominal sums though. Only £23,000 I think.
Think it was £60,000 . That was a couple of months, not years ago.

The list of the 242 HMC schools can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headmas...%27_Conference
Knogle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
British schools fined for price-fixing

LONDON, Feb. 25 (UPI) -- Some of Britain's most prestigious schools, including Eton, Harrow and Winchester, have been fined for price-fixing.

The 50 schools must pay a total of 3.5 million pounds (just over $6 million) in a settlement with the Office of Fair Trading, the Times of London reported. The money is to go into a trust fund to assist students who attended the schools when they were allegedly exchanging information on fee hikes and other financial data.

Eton, where Prince William and his brother Harry were students, Harrow and the rest of the group are known in Britain as public schools, a term that originally distinguished them from private schools run to make a profit, although they are not government-operated.

The schools have until March 31 to decide whether to accept the deal.

Copyright 2006 by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/inde...-schoolfix.xml
Talya
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Why didn't my parents send me to a PROPER public school... Noooo, I got a run o' the mill private school no one's ever heard of and therefore will never help me in life! GAH!

:rolleyes:
President_Ben
Hmm, I remember the 'shock' when Eton was fined the fees of one pupil for one year (£23,000 ish).

Might be that things have proceeded further. Cheers for the updates and all that.

The membership of the group seems fairly random as well, a mixture of day and boarding schools, and the very academic and not so academic.
I don't know enough about each of the individual schools to really pass comment on that. I guess it means that the group tries to establish some kind of concensus between the 'better end of the HMC' then. I don't think any of those schools are bad anyway.
cksjohns
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Any of you lot get invited to join the East India Club in London as leavers of an HMC school? I did and I'm not going!
isabella19
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
what's a HMC school?
KC Prince
Report 14 years ago
Yeah, everyone gets invited to join the east india club dont they? it seems a bit naff but im loving the all mens rooms, brilliant
RAYPLETTS
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I go to one of the Eton group schools - not telling which one and it's not in Manchester
Champagne Breakfast
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by President_Ben)
Hmm, I remember the 'shock' when Eton was fined the fees of one pupil for one year (£23,000 ish).

Might be that things have proceeded further. Cheers for the updates and all that.
Nah it was £23,000 - incidentally, the amount required to send one boy to the school.
Who?
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jeffreyweingard)
I am surprised that Winchester and Harrow are not on the list.
That is because Harrow is so much better:p:
Champagne Breakfast
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Harrow's one of the worst schools ever, on a par with somewhere like Slough Comprehensive. The problem with Harrovians is they're arrogant and yet have absolutely NOTHING to be arrogant about
cksjohns
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by The Ace is Back)
Harrow's one of the worst schools ever, on a par with somewhere like Slough Comprehensive. The problem with Harrovians is they're arrogant and yet have absolutely NOTHING to be arrogant about
seconded, what a bunch of cocks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads