The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2040
Original post by joostan
No logs :tongue:

Spoiler

I used that! YAY! and here's what I've got so far:

n1!r1!(n1(r1))!+n1!0!(n+1)0)!\frac{n-1!}{r-1!(n-1-(r-1))!} + \frac{n-1!}{0!(n+1)-0)!} I know it can be simplified but I'm wary about the 0...I think its meant to be 1...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tigerz

n1!r1!(n1(r1))!+n+1!0!(n+1)0)!\frac{n-1!}{r-1!(n-1-(r-1))!} + \frac{n+1!}{0!(n+1)-0)!} I know it can be simplified but I'm wary about the 0...I think its meant to be 1...

0! = 1
Original post by joostan
There are no points of inflection:
as d2ydx20\dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2} \not=0
and nothing to intersect with :s-smilie:

I see.
Seeing as there's some talk of IMO, I thought I'd ask "have you ever participated in a mathematics competition?". If so, how did it go?
or other stationary points
Reply 2043
Original post by Felix Felicis
0! = 1
:O I did not know that! Thank youuuu :')
Original post by tigerz

n1!r1!(n1(r1))!+n+1!0!(n+1)0)!\frac{n-1!}{r-1!(n-1-(r-1))!} + \frac{n+1!}{0!(n+1)-0)!} I know it can be simplified but I'm wary about the 0...I think its meant to be 1...

It should read:

Spoiler

:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by reubenkinara
I see.
Seeing as there's some talk of IMO, I thought I'd ask "have you ever participated in a mathematics competition?". If so, how did it go?

points of inflection

Qualified for BMO1 this year. Didn't get to BMO2 but I'm hell bent to next year :redface:
Qualified for BMO1 this year. Didn't get to BMO2 but I'm hell bent to next year :redface:

BMO2>STEP right?
0! = 1

I've always found that a little hard to grasp.
BMO2>STEP right?

That's what I feel anyway comparing BMO2 and STEP I, although I haven't had much experience with STEP II/III
Reply 2049
Original post by joostan
Lets go for something a bit different.
Show that:
n1Cr1+n1Cr=nCr^{n-1}\mathrm{C}_{r-1} + ^{n-1}\mathrm{C}_{r}=^n\mathrm{C}_r

Original post by joostan
It should read:

Spoiler

:smile:

blub blurb ... right I got part 1 right, the numerator on the top half of the second part was a silly mistake, how did you get the denominator?

Yeah.. its a bit dodge, how does that even work out :s-smilie:

I JUST GOT IT...I didn't read the R on n-1CRr LOL ima flop d/w
Thanks again joostan your right its not too bad let me finish it of haha
(edited 10 years ago)
I would've thought the level of problem solving they learn from the IMO is transferable...I've heard BMO2's harder than STEP ...

STEP as an examination is supposed to be a guided one, as it's there to assess mathematical potential rather than pre-existing knowledge. The BMO and IMO competitions are much less guided (I think, never actually entered one). This means that, to someone external to the competitions, many of the questions can be inaccessible simply because they've never seen anything like it before, whereas serious competitors receive a lot of training for it.
Original post by tigerz
blub blurb ... right I got part 1 right, the numerator on the top half of the second part was a silly mistake, how did you get the denominator?

Because, I think: n!=(n+1)!(n+1)n! =\dfrac{(n+1)!}{(n+1)}
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2052
Because, I think: n!=(n+1)!(n+1)n! =\dfrac{(n+1)!}{(n+1)}

ahh d/w I got it now, thank you anyways! :biggrin:

Original post by tigerz

It comes from the gamma function:

Γ(z)=(z1)!=0tz1etdt0!=Γ(1)=0etdt=[et]0=1\Gamma (z) = (z-1)! = \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\infty} t^{z-1} e^{-t} dt \Rightarrow 0! = \Gamma(1) = \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-t} dt = \left[ - e^{-t} \right]_{0}^{\infty} = 1

At least I think. Where are you L'art? :tongue:
Reply 2054
Original post by justinawe
Hi :smile:

For the first one, the word THURSDAY has 8 letters, and two vowels (U and A).

Four letters are picked at random.

The number of possible combinations of 4 letters you can get from THURSDAY would be 8C4 = 70.

Now, they want the probability that there is at least one vowel among the letters.

There are 6 consonants/non-vowels in THURSDAY - T, H, R, S, D, Y.

So the number of possible combinations of 4 letters you can get from the consonants alone would be 6C4 = 15.

So the probability that you'd have NO vowels would be 1570=314\dfrac{15}{70} = \dfrac{3}{14}

And thus the probability that you'd have at least one vowel would be 1314=11141 - \dfrac{3}{14} = \dfrac{11}{14}

For the second one, for the number to be greater than 4000, the first digit would have to be 5, 6 or 8.

If the number starts with 5, 6 or 8, we'd have 4 numbers left.

The number of permutations of these 4 numbers in the 3 spots left would be 4P3 = 24.

So we'd have 24 numbers starting with 8, 24 starting with 6, 24 starting with 5.

So the total would be 24+24+24 = 72

This is not completely right, because there are 5 numbers then any 5 digit no. will be in the 10,000's ie above 4000;
Therefore, there are 4! (or 4p4) ways of arranging the numbers outside of the ten thousands (n) ie. n - - - -
and because any value can be used for n there are 4! x 5 no.s bigger than 4000;

total = 72 (from previous answer) + 120 = 192

hope that made sense!:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tigerz
ahh dw\dfrac{d}{w} I've gotten it now, thank you anyways! :biggrin:

Don't mention it. Though, undoubtedly one of the more seasoned mathematicians on here will find some discrepancy with what I've written!
Reply 2056
Can someone help me with C1 Solomon paper c (5^4/9)^-1/2

How do I do this?
It comes from the gamma function:

Γ(z)=(z1)!=0tz1etdt0!=Γ(1)=0etdt=[et]0=1\Gamma (z) = (z-1)! = \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\infty} t^{z-1} e^{-t} dt \Rightarrow 0! = \Gamma(1) = \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-t} dt = \left[ - e^{-t} \right]_{0}^{\infty} = 1

At least I think. Where are you L'art? :tongue:

I think I 0.5 get that. Thanks :smile:
Original post by FeMn
This is not completely right, because there are 5 numbers then any 5 digit no. will be in the 10,000's ie above 4000;
Therefore, there are 4! (or 4p4) ways of arranging the numbers outside of the ten thousands (n) ie. n - - - -
and because any value can be used for n there are 4! x 5 no.s bigger than 4000;

total = 72 (from previous question) + 120 = 192

hope that made sense!:smile:

Didn't the question ask for 4 digit numbers only?

If not, apologies for my mistake :redface:
Original post by Faye_m
Can someone help me with C1 Solomon paper c (5^4/9)^-1/2

How do I do this?

Use:
Unparseable latex formula:

(a^b)^y=(a^y^b)

and
Unparseable latex formula:

a^-^n=\dfrac{1}{a^n}

(edited 10 years ago)

Latest