The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DJMayes
Several things:

1 - Whilst Cambridge is the main university that asks for modular marks it is not the only one. I was asked to submit UMS by Durham, and I don't think it's unheard of for Imperial to ask.
2 - For Cambridge an average of 90% in Maths is below average. I was told in all seriousness by a liaisons officer who came to our school that the average I applied with (97%) was "standard", which was borne out by the fact Maths doesn't have auto-pooling. This fits into point 3) - for Cambridge the UMS is very important, as there's a huge difference between 81% average and 100%.
4 - Oxford preferring GCSE's is an urban myth, and I certainly don't think they put as much emphasis on them as some people think. Firstly, Oxford have the MAT scores which are significantly more important. In addition, Oxford interviews usually happen over a week (You have to stay at Oxford) and so they have more interview data to work with, whereas you're unlucky if you don't do all your Cambridge interviews in a single day.
5 - Cambridge will care about every Maths module you've taken. I think (But do not know) that Pure and Mechanics take precedence; I believe you'd get away with 80 in D1 a lot easier than 80 in FP1, for example. I think that, if you've taken AS and A2 modules simultaneously at AS (e.g. your school teaches Maths the first year and Further the second) they are given equal precedence (Treated the same as people taking AS Maths and Further together), but if you're applying after completing A Levels then your 2nd year modules are expected to be higher to show a progression.

To be fair he was specifically asking about oxbridge, I did mention that other top unis may ask in an earlier post. :tongue:
I heard it from the admissions tutor from New College - admittedly that was all subjects.
Furthermore 90+ for NatSci is more than adequate I should imagine :smile:
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Can someone help me with the question please?
Integrate (x + cos2x) (9 marks)

On the mark scheme it said to expand the brackets, I got
x^2 + 2xcosx + cos^2 2x (not sure if the last bit is right)

But the answer in the mark scheme( (of the expanded bit) was just 2xcosx :confused:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/59535-mark-scheme-unit-4724-01-core-mathematics-4-june.pdf

You mean (x+cos2x)2dx\displaystyle\int (x+ \cos 2x)^{2} dx ?

It expands to x2+2xcos2x+cos22xx^{2} + 2x \cos 2x + \cos^{2} 2x which you need to integrate all separately.
Original post by joostan
To be fair he was specifically asking about oxbridge, I did mention that other top unis may ask in an earlier post. :tongue:
I heard it from the admissions tutor from New College - admittedly that was all subjects.

Natural Sciences is actually a really ridiculously competitive subject to go for at Cambridge, so I'd say (depending on college) >90% is fairly standard for NatSci!
Original post by Zaphod77
Natural Sciences is actually a really ridiculously competitive subject to go for at Cambridge, so I'd say (depending on college) >90% is fairly standard for NatSci!

My thoughts too.
Original post by joostan

Roger that, I would've thought any course at Cambridge for science/ maths subjects where there is a concrete answer rather than essay subjects which are more subjective, an average successful applicant would have cerca 95% UMS

My sis did NatSci maths with a 6 at IB HL. So yeah 90+ is fine.:colone:

Original post by Felix Felicis
Ditto that, I would've thought any course at Cambridge for science/ maths subjects where there is a concrete answer rather than essay subjects which are more subjective, an average successful applicant would have cerca 95% UMS

I think perhaps the density of adept students on TSR has clouded the vision of many people here, you've got to be good, but say 92 as an average for maths when applying for Natsci is probably enough.
(edited 10 years ago)
Ditto that, I would've thought any course at Cambridge for science/ maths subjects where there is a concrete answer rather than essay subjects which are more subjective, an average successful applicant would have cerca 95% UMS

Not me then:frown:
You mean (x+cos2x)2dx\displaystyle\int (x+ \cos 2x)^{2} dx ?

It expands to x2+2xcos2x+cos22xx^{2} + 2x \cos 2x + \cos^{2} 2x which you need to integrate all separately.

yes sorry :colondollar:

the mark scheme says to use integration by parts on the 2xcos2x

I'm really confused :frown:
Original post by joostan

IB HL Maths is a lot more difficult than A level maths/ FM, to be fair. :redface:
Reply 3489
Original post by reubenkinara
Nice: re the niece.
I see you do OCR salters:frown: Reubs is fine, however 'Reuben' is my second name. Keron, or some variant of it is preferable :smile:

Yup, its annoying because it focuses on phrasing too much and not enough on content >.< Ahh I see, i'll call you Keron then :smile:
Its defo gonna be nice but gonna get busier lols, at least I only have 2 exams left!

Original post by MathsNerd1
It's alright, I may go and attempt some Chemistry questions in a while, first I've got to let this headache pass -.-

Also it never helps I only get about 6 hours of sleep, but I'll cope so its all good :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope you feel better soon, good luck with the chem, you should get some sleep, lie ins are amazing :sogood:
Haha, I have to go out now, so once again my revision target won't be accomplished >.<

Original post by Boy_wonder_95
DRAW!

No comment :tongue:
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
yes sorry :colondollar:

the mark scheme says to use integration by parts on the 2xcos2x

I'm really confused :frown:

Really? :s-smilie: Look at what it expands to...the first term is just a standard integral, the second term is integrated by parts, the third term you use double angle formulae
Original post by joostan

I don't really know how the IB works, I'll be honest, but I'll take your word for it :tongue: I just know that when I was looking at Cambridge (but for Medicine) NatSci came up as one of the most competitive subjects there, so everyone had stupidly high UMS.
IB HL Maths is a lot more difficult than A level maths/ FM, to be fair. :redface:

There's less time to cover the content, but that isn't necessarily the same thing.
She scraped a 6, which I'd say is an A* in maths and say maybe an A in FM. The point is for natural sciences, only a quarter of the tripos is maths.

I don't really know how the IB works, I'll be honest, but I'll take your word for it I just know that when I was looking at Cambridge (but for Medicine) NatSci came up as one of the most competitive subjects there, so everyone had stupidly high UMS.

It's Cambridge -they've all got stupidly high UMS. :tongue:
But given that 480 is the required for an A* 560 say, is still pretty good.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by joostan

I think perhaps the density of adept students on TSR has clouded the vision of many people here, you've got to be good, but say 92 as an average for maths when applying for Natsci is probably enough.

Well 90+ in AS maths is quite hard to get now because of ****ty M1. Other than that I would have easily got 95+.
Really? :s-smilie: Look at what it expands to...the first term is just a standard integral, the second term is integrated by parts, the third term you use double angle formulae

stupid moment, you are right :colondollar: Didn't read the mark scheme properly haha
Original post by joostan
There's less time to cover the content, but that isn't necessarily the same thing.
She scraped a 6, which I'd say is an A* in maths and say maybe an A in FM. The point is for natural sciences, only a quarter of the tripos is maths.

They do less content in IB HL Maths, but the exam is just harder. My bro looks at my A level maths papers and just laughs at me sometimes :redface: The time's a lot tighter and the questions near the end of the paper do get pretty difficult when you're so pressed for time, from what I've seen. :redface:
Original post by joostan

It's Cambridge -they've all got stupidly high UMS. :tongue:
But given that 480 is the required for an A* 560 say, is still pretty good.

I don't understand why don't they have a course just for Physics, Chemistry, Biology etc...? Why would I take un relevant things in the first year or so?
Original post by tigerz

No comment :tongue:

:teehee: Teehee (have to write something otherwise I'll get warning points :rolleyes:)
Original post by tigerz

Hope you feel better soon, good luck with the chem, you should get some sleep, lie ins are amazing :sogood:
Haha, I have to go out now, so once again my revision target won't be accomplished >.<

Thanks, I'm going to take some drugs to help me feel better instead so I can continue with the Chemistry :tongue: And lie ins are for wimps :wink:

You'll just have to compensate tomorrow but don't you have a choice whether or not to go out? I refuse to go anywhere for this entire month, then I'm going hibernate for the remainder of the month :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MathsNerd1
Thanks, I'm going to take some drugs to help me feel better...

:K:

Latest

Trending

Trending